LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Beeping Lock Confirmation(1st gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 02:30 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beeping Lock Confirmation(1st gen)

I absolutely hate it that there's no real audible/visible confirmation when you lock/unlock the car via remote. To solve the issue, I just got an aftermarket alarm installed which IMO is the best route to go. But for all you cheapos, like me if I had thought of this before I purchased the alarm, there may be a way to get an audible confirmation. When you arm/disarm the OEM alarm, READ hit the lock/unlock on the remote, it momentarily grounds the circuit to either lock or unlock the car. I got some wiring diagrams of the alarm from www.the12volt.com, and found out that the horn is also a ground activated circuit. So, this in theory will absolutely work! All you have to do is tap into the either the lock or unlock wire ( or both ) and connect them to the horn wire. When I say this, I am talking about very specific wires ( there are a lot of wires you will have to fish through and generally not a lot of room or light to work with. Register with the12volt and you can get the chart, as you will need it. To get to the wires, you have to remove the three large screws that hold in the plastic trim panel under the dash. The lock wire is a green/yellow wire located behind the carpet trim on the lower left-hand side driver kick panel. It is the on the blue plug that goes to a black box with "LA" written in bold black letters on a white sticker. The unlock wire is the solid green wire on the same plug. Now pick which ever function you want the horn to sound with and tap into it, green for unlock, green/yellow for unlock, or you could tap into both. If access is a problem you can unplug the plug and pull it out some(there's not much slack). Now connect the tap(s) to a wire. The next wire you're going to have to find is the horn wire. It is on a connector that goes to the steering column. I didn't bother looking for it since I have the aftermarket alarm in now, but it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to find. There are a LOT of wires and the colors are hard to differentiate at times. . . anyway the plug should have all the color wires listed in the chart and them some, but you are specifically looking for the green/red wire. Tap into this wire and connect the wire from the lock/unlock wire. Make sure you plugged the plugs back into their harnesses before you test if you removed them. Test it out. . . it should work. . . I can almost gaurantee it will work, but I won't pay if you break it. I think the worst damage you can inflict is blowing a fuse or wasting time. The horn should "bark" when you hit the remote and also when you unlock the car from the door or open the trunk from the outside when the car is locked. But it won't "bark" if you lock/unlock it from inside as the wires you just tapped into are seperate from lock/unlock control from the door's button. Very cool and very free. Enjoy.
Old 03-31-04, 11:16 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Maybe I should have put this in the audio/video section. . . whoops
Old 04-02-04, 08:19 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really cool man. Hey, do you by chance see if the wiring charts are on there for your pals in the 1st gen GS forum? Maybe the wire colors are the same for us, too.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 04-02-04 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 02:48 PM
buttons
Driver

there is a dial under the dash [about at left knee level] that adjusts the lock/unlock volume. it is on the '93; but not sure about all years.
Old 04-03-04, 01:16 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

The first years of the first generation LS, GS, ES, and SC's did not have a beeping lock confirmation. Buttons, you have the slightly updated 1993 LS. As for the GS, the12volt says that the wires for lock/arm is "red/black or black/white," whatever the hell that means, and unlock/disarm is black, both located in the driver's kickpanel. The horn is green on the steering column harness. All are ground activated just like the LS. However I don't know if they are located in the same exact locations as I indicated. And to that confusing reference for arm wire, I would test both, as the LS also has two but they didn't bother to write that. The idea is to get it so that the horn beeps only when you arm the alarm, not when you lock/unlock the doors while you are still inside. That would get very annoying. I actually can confirm that this works with the LS, but am not so sure about the GS. If you try this out, let me know how it goes.
Old 04-05-04, 09:01 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man. Yeah, I'll try it out. I've got like ten DIY projects lined up for the car but hopefully I'll get around to it.