Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bigger rims?

Old 03-21-04, 05:58 PM   #1
Stock_pimp
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Bigger rims?

I'm posting here for my dad mostly. He wants to get some summer rims for his '02 LS430. Right now he has the stock 16's on it but he wants something chrome. I think he should go big like 20's but he doesn't want to ruin the great quiet soft ride of it. Does anybody have thoughts about ride quality. Also do you have any opinons on specific rims we should go look at?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Stock_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 07:24 PM   #2
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Get the 18's from the '04 LS 430 with the sport package:
Attached Images

squarehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 08:23 PM   #3
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to lexusk8 Send a message via Yahoo to lexusk8

Those rims look very nice squarehat, I've seen 'em floating around Ebay from time to time. The only thing that concerns me is the center caps: sometimes they are shown as like an upside-down "7", not a real Lexus "L" emblem. Believe me, I've seen similar center caps in person (at the local Lexus parts dept) with the ripoff "L" emblems. What are they thinking?
Old 03-21-04, 09:03 PM   #4
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by lexusk8
Those rims look very nice squarehat, I've seen 'em floating around Ebay from time to time. The only thing that concerns me is the center caps: sometimes they are shown as like an upside-down "7", not a real Lexus "L" emblem. Believe me, I've seen similar center caps in person (at the local Lexus parts dept) with the ripoff "L" emblems. What are they thinking?

Those are actually OEM center caps not aftermarket or takeoffs.

These are the B.S. ones, you can clearly tell the difference because the fake "L" is touching all
sides and doesn't have the roundish shape.
Attached Images

"THIS GREAT NATION WILL LEAD THE WORLD AND WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!" --GEORGE W. BUSH
"I SAY TO OUR ENEMIES: WE ARE COMING! GOD MAY HAVE MERCY ON YOU, BUT WE WON'T!"--JOHN McCAIN
"THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS IS NOT THAT THEY'RE IGNORANT-IT'S THAT THEY KNOW SO MUCH THAT ISN'T SO!" --RONALD WILSON REAGAN -- MAY HE R.I.P.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 03-21-04 at 09:08 PM..
SharpLS-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 09:08 PM   #5
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are both right--the pic I posted has OEM caps and the pic SharpLS posted has the knockoffs, and, like Lexusk8 mentioned, the funny part is the parts department at my local Lexus dealership is selling the rims with the knockoff "upside down 7"--and to make matters worse, the fake "L" is gold plated--get with the program dealership parts-counter guys, gold centers were big in '94, not '04 .
squarehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 01:40 AM   #6
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

As far as the gold logo "L" center caps go, you will never find OEM ones being sold by any Lexus dealer because they don't produce gold OEM "L" logo center caps. And, no aftermarket manufacture can exactly reproduce them in gold or silver for that matter because of Toyota/Lexus copyright infringement licensing laws. So, in order to satisfy consumer demand for gold logo caps an aftermarket company had to produce like-wise caps that had a similar shape of the "L". If you want an OEM cap in gold you personally have to have an aftermarket company gold plate it for you but the gold will wear off extremely fast.

The individual dealers giving the knockoff/fake ones in chrome on new cars with OEM wheels without openly advising/explaining it to the consumer, well that's definitely a no no and highly unethical! OEM ones in chrome come with the car and that's what the purchasing consumer should get! They can be fined or even quite possibly have there dealership license revoked by Lexus if they are caught being deceptive on numerous occasions. Just to clear things up, I am referring to dealers replacing stolen or misplaced OEM chrome logo caps with aftermarket ones while the car is still for sale and waiting to be purchased & delivered to its new owner.

Now, if your purchasing chrome caps at the parts dept, they look at it as being a great deal cheaper in cost for them then OEM ones and more affordable to the consumer. Plus, they figure most consumers wont care and/or wont have the eye of detail to even notice the difference if you didn't specifically order/request OEM caps.

"THIS GREAT NATION WILL LEAD THE WORLD AND WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!" --GEORGE W. BUSH
"I SAY TO OUR ENEMIES: WE ARE COMING! GOD MAY HAVE MERCY ON YOU, BUT WE WON'T!"--JOHN McCAIN
"THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS IS NOT THAT THEY'RE IGNORANT-IT'S THAT THEY KNOW SO MUCH THAT ISN'T SO!" --RONALD WILSON REAGAN -- MAY HE R.I.P.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 03-22-04 at 05:25 AM..
SharpLS-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 04:17 PM   #7
Stock_pimp
Driver School Candidate

I do like those 04 rims, however i wish they had a lip of some sort. I have been flipping back and forth between the two pictures and i can't tell a difference, except the first one is better quality. I doubt our lexus dealership would try to pull something like that, but who knows.
Stock_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 05:32 PM   #8
Methodical
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (-1)

I have 20's on my 2002 LS430 and the ride is not that bad. Everyone kept telling me that the ride would be ruined but, they obviously don't know what they're talking about. Btw, I have 20's with S0-3's all the way around. 245-35-20's in front, and 275-30-20's out back.
2004 LS430
Blk. on Blk. Birdseye Maple w/
Nav and Lev (Sold)
Methodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 06:40 PM   #9
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to lexusk8 Send a message via Yahoo to lexusk8

Quote:
Originally posted by Methodical
I have 20's on my 2002 LS430 and the ride is not that bad. Everyone kept telling me that the ride would be ruined but, they obviously don't know what they're talking about. Btw, I have 20's with S0-3's all the way around. 245-35-20's in front, and 275-30-20's out back.
I think the combination of coilovers and staggered tire setup makes the ride more decent than harsh
Old 03-23-04, 08:45 AM   #10
gewe21
Lead Lap

Thumbs up go BIG !!!

Quote:
I think he should go big like 20's
I think he should
Attached Images

Communal ride: '10 black Lexus LX570 on 22" Super Star Rowell | '13 matte black Lexus GS350 on 20" Niche
Past ride: '02 LS430 | '07 LS460L | '02 matte army green Toyota Land Cruiser 100 | '04 black Toyota Land Cruiser Cygnus (LX470) |

Last edited by gewe21; 03-23-04 at 08:46 AM..
gewe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-04, 06:28 PM   #11
Methodical
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (-1)

2004 LS430
Blk. on Blk. Birdseye Maple w/
Nav and Lev (Sold)
Methodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-04, 06:28 PM

Tags
17, 1994, 2002, bigger, gold, lexus, ls430, plated, rim, rims, sc400, sport, toyota, wheel, wheels