LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello all! looking to buy a 90-95 Lexus LS400

Old 03-19-04, 11:44 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Question Hello all! looking to buy a 90-95 Lexus LS400

Hey everyone! whatsup? im new to this message board, and am looking to join the ranks with you Fellow Lexus drivers. RIght now i am driving a 1989' Toyota Landcruiser FJ62, and befroe that i had a 78' Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. MY family also has 6 OTher Toyotas (the only company i would ever trust) I realized recently that for the price i could sell my LAndcruiser for, i could afford one of the early model LS400s, and i have had my heart set on them ever since! I have always loved the LS400s, they are SOOO sytlish! i rode in a friends LS430 about a year ago and kind of had a secret obsession with them since. So, a few questions:

my frist big one: do any of the early LS's have rust problems? My previous and my current vehicle suffer from this, and i am fed up with it, one of the reasons im doing the switch. I HATE RUST!!!

Is there any particular problems that i should be aware of that these can have?

what things need attention after about 100,000 miles or so? 150,000?

Would i be crazy if a spent 7500 on a 95' LS400 With 170,000 miles on it? i found one that runs strong and is a cherry, not a single thing wrong with it, only the miles. Considering that this is a Toyota Built product, the 1UZFE engine should go to 300,000 if well maintained, right? (i am planning to keep this car for a very long time, so if it suffered a large failure, then i would be willing to just replace that component and keep on cruising)

what about options like the air suspention? is this failure prone, or is it a fun option to have?

I understand that these will cost much more to maintain than your average vehicle will, and that the rear wheel drive will make certain times difficult in the winter (thats what i still got the 78' Cruiser for!!) but im willing to make a few sacrafices for one of these beasties!!

Im REALLY looking forwards to getting my hands on one of these! im looking forwards to the drive up to the eisenhower tunner and to grand lake, Colorado the most. no more will i have to go 30 MPH in the slow lane all the way up! yee-haw!! any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

-YoshiMan
Old 03-20-04, 12:14 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yoshiman,

Lot's of good questions! Be prepared for a very different ride from an FJ-40!!

Known Problems: I wanted to post an FAQ on this very issue and leave it open for all members to add to , but it was inexplicably crushed by the moderators.

This forum and it's helpful members have saved me quite a bit of money with the cumulative knowledge and insight that is available here.

My Family has 3 LS 400's so I have learned a little.

People spend siginificant maintenance cost in these areas on the LS:

1) Air Conditioning System
2) Power Steering pump and Rack & Pinion
3) Suspension parts , rubber has a lifespan !!( I would avoid the air system although you can find info here on affordable repairs)

Just touched on some "big ticket Items" but there are little things that you run across , like fuel gauge and tail light malfunctions etc.

My 94 has 153,500 and runs incredibly well. Don't see 250,000 being a problem.

damon
Old 03-20-04, 08:53 AM
theRain04
To Infinity and Beyond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hello all! looking to buy a 90-95 Lexus LS400

Originally posted by YoshiMan
Hey everyone! whatsup? im new to this message board, and am looking to join the ranks with you Fellow Lexus drivers. RIght now i am driving a 1989' Toyota Landcruiser FJ62, and befroe that i had a 78' Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. MY family also has 6 OTher Toyotas (the only company i would ever trust) I realized recently that for the price i could sell my LAndcruiser for, i could afford one of the early model LS400s, and i have had my heart set on them ever since! I have always loved the LS400s, they are SOOO sytlish! i rode in a friends LS430 about a year ago and kind of had a secret obsession with them since. So, a few questions:

my frist big one: do any of the early LS's have rust problems? My previous and my current vehicle suffer from this, and i am fed up with it, one of the reasons im doing the switch. I HATE RUST!!!

Is there any particular problems that i should be aware of that these can have?

what things need attention after about 100,000 miles or so? 150,000?

Would i be crazy if a spent 7500 on a 95' LS400 With 170,000 miles on it? i found one that runs strong and is a cherry, not a single thing wrong with it, only the miles. Considering that this is a Toyota Built product, the 1UZFE engine should go to 300,000 if well maintained, right? (i am planning to keep this car for a very long time, so if it suffered a large failure, then i would be willing to just replace that component and keep on cruising)

what about options like the air suspention? is this failure prone, or is it a fun option to have?

I understand that these will cost much more to maintain than your average vehicle will, and that the rear wheel drive will make certain times difficult in the winter (thats what i still got the 78' Cruiser for!!) but im willing to make a few sacrafices for one of these beasties!!

Im REALLY looking forwards to getting my hands on one of these! im looking forwards to the drive up to the eisenhower tunner and to grand lake, Colorado the most. no more will i have to go 30 MPH in the slow lane all the way up! yee-haw!! any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

-YoshiMan
I would get a 95 instead of one of the earlier models. The 95's are more modern looking, and offer a bit more in features. Plus many things were changed between the '94 and '95 (ex. cd changer in glove box instead of trunk, etc) . You may want to look up some old reviews on the changes made to the '95's. It may help make your decision easier. My friend owns a '95 and it's a pretty nice car.
Old 03-20-04, 09:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The UCF20/ '95-'97 have a little bit more engine performance, along with a touch more rear leg and trunk space. Not a whole lot though. The brakes on the 95-00 have 4 piston, front calipers which are excellent.

There is more but I'm in brain fade
Old 03-21-04, 12:55 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Angry

Arg! that once in a lifetime deal on the 95' is gone, someone bought it from under my nose! what are my chances of finding another 95+ for a little over 7000 bucks? arg... but thats okay, im gonna go for a 93 or 94 now. just one condition:

It HAS to be black!!!!!
Old 03-21-04, 11:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

LS's are abundant, there is always another just waiting to be found. If you have the opportunity, drive a 95+, the braking ability is noticeable between the earlier versions.

An older recco if you are open: The MX83 Toyota Cressida from 89+ was also a very nice car once you re-torqued the head gasket to 70 ftlbs. Factory was like 65 and they had a tendancy to blow out at 75K miles. This car has the same motor as the '86-89 NA Supra if that gives you any ideas Look at this car as a pre-LS400 and it was the last RWD "Toyota" sedan.

Because of the head gasket problem many were retired early so the bodies are in remarkably good condition. They can be had for ~$3K and with a few grand thrown into them, are very competent, fun cars. Suspension mods, brake, engine, a body kit. I've come across a few with the 7MGT-E or 2JZ that scream.
Old 03-24-04, 10:06 AM
mtsao
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by damon
1) Air Conditioning System
2) Power Steering pump and Rack & Pinion
3) Suspension parts , rubber has a lifespan !!( I would avoid the air system although you can find info here on affordable repairs)

My 94 has 153,500 and runs incredibly well. Don't see 250,000 being a problem.
[/B]
Yoshiman,

Damon touched on the big ones. I have a 90 that was meticulously (read: dealer) maintained and it's had the AC compressor replaced at least twice in 13 years of ownership. The power steering pump/rack has also received some attention and I think it currently has a bit of a leak. The air suspension components are quite costly to replace (about $4k), but fortunately, they were replaced not long before I took ownership. I've read that many have converted to traditional suspension due to the high cost of the air suspension replacement.

Something else that I've read quite a bit about is that many early 90s models have problems with the dash cluster lighting going out. Ditto for the radio/AC LCD displays and button illumination.

FWIW, my LS had 168K when I bought it last fall and I've just rolled over 180K and the only problem I've had is that I've lost a few more bulbs that light up my radio buttons. I can live with that.

As for rust, there is none on my car despite it being a snow belt car. I imagine that it's been garage kept, and I would imagine most Lexi are, even of that vintage.

Good luck in your search.
Mike