LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Busted antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 10:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Angry Busted antenna

Been looking through some of the archives yet finding what I want has not surfaced yet.

Today I had the radio on and then shut if off. Antenna stopped at 1/4" up and I could hear the motor running for about 15 seconds afterwards. I can manually pull the antenna up and it push it down but it stops 2" from being completely rectracted.

Any thoughts on what is broken and if I can fix it?

Lexus-parts has an antenna for $54...
Old 02-12-04, 11:39 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant think of the name of theres something that is part of the motor and pushes the antenna up and down. I think you have to buy a new motor. I know what you are talking about though. I changed mine because it wouldnt move my antenna up and down.
Old 02-13-04, 04:39 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Although I am sure it was done to cut costs, I am glad that they moved the antenna into the windshield for later models. Power antennas (and even non-power in cheaper cars) are always a hassle.
Old 02-13-04, 12:35 PM
alantlo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try This:

http://carstereohelp.com/repairDoItY...mryPwrAntR.htm
Old 02-13-04, 12:39 PM
alantlo
Driver School Candidate

By the way I bought my replacement antenna mast from Carson Toyota for $40.
Old 02-13-04, 02:17 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, It is very easy to remove the whole unit ,and then open it up there is a soft putty on it but you can pry it open . Them remove the broken mast and it's broken pieces.Put it back together without mast and reinstall . Turn on radio on a AM station feed in mast white plastic hold it and have wife turn off car as you help feed the mast in and then reinstall the top round mast nut. Then start car and test AM station it should go all the way up, when switch to FM it should retract a little and the CD and it should retract all the way..............It should take you longer to read this than the Job........

Mike ,tell you Wife you need to come to the meet and I will do it for you!!!!!
Old 02-13-04, 02:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Thanks guys!

The power antennas are PITA's and I dunno why Toyota goes back and forth on integrated glass antennas and these mast types. My '80 Celica has a integrated glass antenna of all things.

alantlo...thanks for that URL, having those pictures will help. Otherwise, I'd have gone in with parts flying. Oh look spare parts!

I had debated filling in the antenna mount and using a hidden type antenna but I haven't heard if those types work well. Saw it on a hot rod show and was curious. Given the cost of body work, a $60 antenna is more cost efficient. That is unless they break every few years.
Old 02-13-04, 02:47 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by RA40
Thanks guys!

The power antennas are PITA's and I dunno why Toyota goes back and forth on integrated glass antennas and these mast types. My '80 Celica has a integrated glass antenna of all things.

alantlo...thanks for that URL, having those pictures will help. Otherwise, I'd have gone in with parts flying. Oh look spare parts!

I had debated filling in the antenna mount and using a hidden type antenna but I haven't heard if those types work well. Saw it on a hot rod show and was curious. Given the cost of body work, a $60 antenna is more cost efficient. That is unless they break every few years.
The Mast Antenna is the best and the one on your car adjust on the signal needed by moving up and down .........so aftermarket will not work .....Your car is a 97 replace the mast and it will last as long as you have the car...............Remember if you need help PM me .
Old 02-13-04, 03:35 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Lexkost has stated, it's the antenna mast that needs to be replaced.
Just follow his instructions and you'll be getting a headache from the blasting music in no time.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-13-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-14-04, 09:54 AM
buttons
Driver

FYI:
Attached Thumbnails Busted antenna-antenna-11.jpg  
Old 02-14-04, 02:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I pulled the mast out and the geared plastic cord was broken. So I just buy another mast? The local dealer is aksing $60.97.

Last edited by RA40; 02-14-04 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-14-04, 04:07 PM
buttons
Driver

That is where I get mine--wife has backed into a bush twice !!! Some folks say they buy them [different brand] from the internet for $26 or so. can't advise on that---you will have to await someone else' experience.

Note: can't believe the attachment wasn't hidden awaiting a click--that is how it used to work!!
Old 02-14-04, 04:10 PM
buttons
Driver

Again: missed the item about it being broken--maybe the end is around the motor gear. Think you will have to check and remove that before you reinstall a new one.
Old 02-14-04, 04:21 PM
buttons
Driver

When you are ready to insert new antenna[this has the toothed part attached]; follow the above steps,leave the key in acc. then insert antenna, and turn the key to lock, the motor will wind it up.
usually all this stuff takes 2 persons--so the paint isn't damaged.
Old 02-14-04, 09:55 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

The antenna on my 90 LS worked perfectly until about 2 weeks ago. I was amazed that it was still working perfectly. However- the other day- it decided that it did not want to go down and only the motor would run. It did make a loud gear scraping sound until it stopped, now, the motor runs, but it is a quiet hum. When I get out of the car and push down on the antenna a bit, it will go down properly. After that- it goes back up just fine.
I had the same problem with my 93 Camry LE. I ordered a new antenna mast (antenna/gear) on E-Bay. Installation was easy. The antenna worked better, but still not properly. I would have to help it at times.

Quick Reply: Busted antenna