LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Generations: Difference is softness over bumps

Old 02-04-04, 04:39 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Generations: Difference is softness over bumps

I'm curious about how things have changed over the years. There's been three generations of LS. Correct? One of the things I find most appealing about the LS is how smooth it rides over bumps. How has this changed over the years? Would you say that the most current model is the softest ever? How about the first and second generation? How do they compare?

It seems that many reviewers enjoy the fact that these cars ride smooth - but they also don't seem happy about how they don't handle very well.. I hope if Lexus decides to start making the LS handle better, they leave that option up to the driver with different modes of suspension - which I think they will.. I hope they don't try competing with BMW and get 'hard' all of the sudden...
Old 02-04-04, 04:42 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Default Please move this thread! Sorry!

Oh, darn.. I posted this in GS and it belongs in LS.. Would somebody mind moving this topic? Sorry...
Old 02-04-04, 04:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Gotcha covered. As I only have owned 1 LS (a 98) I'll let other more qualified folks comment.
Old 02-04-04, 05:06 PM
98 LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sal ............

Just a comment ............ a change in tire pressure of just 2 psi will make a huge difference in the ride characteristics of the LS.

I've played around with it a bit and currently have 29 psi (recommended in manual) all around.

If you go too low, the ride gets softer but it doesn't track as well, particularly on the highway with a cross-wind, it wanders.
Old 02-04-04, 05:26 PM
tvd51
Driver

I go with 32 psi. To me that's the best combination for ride, grip & fuel economy. My tires are new, I may go down a bit (30 or 31) when the tires get older.
tvd51
Old 02-04-04, 05:26 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Default Re: Generations: Difference is softness over bumps

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
I'm curious about how things have changed over the years. There's been three generations of LS. Correct? One of the things I find most appealing about the LS is how smooth it rides over bumps. How has this changed over the years? Would you say that the most current model is the softest ever? How about the first and second generation? How do they compare?

It seems that many reviewers enjoy the fact that these cars ride smooth - but they also don't seem happy about how they don't handle very well.. I hope if Lexus decides to start making the LS handle better, they leave that option up to the driver with different modes of suspension - which I think they will.. I hope they don't try competing with BMW and get 'hard' all of the sudden...
Especially if you have air suspension like myself. My LS is 9 years old and still feels like a brand new ride over bumps. I test drove the '04 Land Cruiser, it felt the same as my LS. The only difference was the smell of new leather.
Old 02-05-04, 05:13 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for the replies! I'd still like to hear from more people.. If you've driven in more than one generation of Lexus LS, speak up. I'd like to hear what the difference is between these vehicles - hopefully with the same tire pressure.. Is one softer than the next? Has technology made the ride softer - but better? Or harder and better?

I'd also like to hear about road and wind noise.. Has that been improved over the years? If so, how much?

Thanks again...
Old 02-08-04, 11:45 AM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

I bought a '92 LS400 last week--my first Lexus. The owner told me that they had just replaced the struts, but what he failed to tell me is that they replaced them with KYB's. I didn't notice that the ride was rough when I was looking the car over because I was paying attention to the engine and trans, alignment, etc.

Come to find out, KYB's are much stiffer than the stock struts. This is the one thing that really irks me about my recent purchase. I am a lover of soft, squishy rides and that's not what I got. If anyone is thinking of doing their struts, I would not recommend going to the stiffer KYB's. The harsher ride takes away one of the car's most likable attributes, in my opinion.

I guess if it really continues to bug me, I'd think about changing them out, but it doesn't seem like a very wise thing to do to a car with 134k on it.
Old 02-11-04, 10:06 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

LSPilot- I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. This was the exact same think that happened to me. When I first bought my 90 Lexus LS400, I did not realize at the time that the ride was unusually firm from the rear suspension, as I too was checking other things on the car. I bought the car and the more I drove it- the more I was unhappy with the ride comfort. I could feel every small bump in the road from the rear suspension. It was as if there was nothing back there, but metal to metal. Even the back of the car was difficult to push down. I had remembered that my aunts 90 LS400 had a much smoother, cushy ride. I was also behind a 90-92 LS400 a while back and remember seeing the rear of the car literally "floating" gently over the bumps. Perhaps the struts were overly worn, but I actually like a ride like that- but not to the point to where it is dangerously bouncy. I checked some of the receipts in the glove compartment and had discovered that the previous owner had ALSO just installed "KYB" struts on the rear- 6 months before I bought it. They were $79. each. The more I drove it- the more I wanted to drive my "cushy" riding 1992 Buick Park Avenue, with air-suspension. I decided at that time- I was going to have factory OEM "Toyota-Lexus" struts installed. I went to our local Toyota-Lexus (they sell both) and picked up the struts. They were $51.00 each. I took the car to my mechanics and they replaced them for $90. The ride is now MUCH smoother, but still not as super soft and "cushy" as I would like (like a very worn strut gives), if it is below 50 degrees outside- although it still takes large bumps with stride and I can no longer feel all of the small bumps. But this is normal, as it is not supposed to be excessively bouncy. I am guessing they will "loosen" up even more, because they are still relatively new. I notice the warmer that it is outside- the softer that it rides. Luckily- being in the south- it is not that cold here. I am assuming it now has the factory, like new ride- since it has the same struts on it that it came with new. One interesting thing is that the new OEM Toyota (Most Lexus parts read "Toyota"), struts also had "KYB" stamped on them, as well as "Toyota". Seems as if KYB makes the factory struts for Toyota, but obviously at a much softer dampening, than their own KYB high performance struts. The KYB struts that I had removed were red struts. I am planning on selling them to someone that wants them. I have heard that they now sell for about $100 each. I do not know who would want a ride that firm however.

My suggestion - if you replace your struts- go with the OEM Toyota struts.

LSP- It will be well worth the cost if you change your struts. It really made a big difference on my car.

Good luck.

Originally posted by LSPilot
I bought a '92 LS400 last week--my first Lexus. The owner told me that they had just replaced the struts, but what he failed to tell me is that they replaced them with KYB's. I didn't notice that the ride was rough when I was looking the car over because I was paying attention to the engine and trans, alignment, etc.

Come to find out, KYB's are much stiffer than the stock struts. This is the one thing that really irks me about my recent purchase. I am a lover of soft, squishy rides and that's not what I got. If anyone is thinking of doing their struts, I would not recommend going to the stiffer KYB's. The harsher ride takes away one of the car's most likable attributes, in my opinion.

I guess if it really continues to bug me, I'd think about changing them out, but it doesn't seem like a very wise thing to do to a car with 134k on it.

Last edited by Shaffer; 02-11-04 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 10:12 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

This makes me very nervous. I just ordered a set of Tokico HP struts for my SC. They are aftermarket, the ad said "smoother and better handling than stock, the best upgrade for your car" Im getting a little nervous they wont be as smooth tho. Anyone use the tokico hp struts?
Old 02-11-04, 10:14 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

I have heard that those provide a very stiff ride, but I cannot say for sure. I am guessing that the OEM "Toyota-Lexus" struts will provide the softest ride.
Old 02-12-04, 10:56 AM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply Shaffer. Sounds like we're kindred souls as far as shocks are concerned!

I had a '79 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in college and loved the ride. I'm a young guy at 27 but for some reason I like big boats and I cannot lie. My ex girlfriend (no correlation there) thought I should drive a 4Runner or a little Honda... Puke. Everyone said I looked like middle-aged man driving my E420. Screw 'em, I like big floaty cars.

So I totally sympathize with you about your LS400 and I think it's starting to bug me enough that I'm going to at least have the rears changed out soon. I remember reading your post in a past thread. $90 is a great price for labor. I'll have to really dig around L.A. to find someone that cheap! Thanks for the advice.

-Josh
Old 02-13-04, 01:11 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I feel fairly qualified to answer your question. I own a 1990 LS 400 with 160k miles, my father owns 1999 LS400 with 35k miles, my brother owned a 98 GS400 and sold it for a Porsche at 120K miles, my other brother owns a 2001 IS300, and we have extensively researched the LS430's including the newest model(we are going to wait for the next major redesign in 4 years or so or look at the upcoming GS430). As you can see I've been able to experience almost all the major Lexus models first hand. The LS never really changed it's essense throughout the years. What it did do was further refine it's levels of quietness, quality, performance, and luxury. What Lexus basically fixed all the complaints from the first generation LS's to make it absolutely perfect. I honestly like the last generation LS400 more than the 430. Anyway, ride actually suffered, in my opinion which is biased. It grew softer and absorbed the bumps much better, at the expense of road feel. I'd say the major change came in the 95/96 model. The first generations had more of a GS feel, as it did not really exist. However the newer LS's absolutely haul a**. Faster, with VVTI, a 5spd auto being introduced, and now a 6spd auto. It is still the fastest car in it's class. The interior grew larger through the years, but the actual length of the car shrunk, as did the wheelbase to minimize the constant scraping the first generation suffered. Wheels and brakes grew larger after the first generation, and even more so with the 430. The interior itself improved in quality-- the leather seats got softer with better stitching, the wood trim grew thicker and richer, and audio/climate control systems were constantly updated with more modern designs and instrumentation. The biggest change, I'd say, would be the "sport" in sport sedan. The original LS was meant to be exactly that, but that role eventually shifted to the GS and IS. However don't be fooled! Even thought the newer LS's don't feel as sporty, their road tests reveal far superior handling and performance to the older generations. Here are the major improvements:
-brakes/tires/wheels
-wheelbase
-interior materials
-VVTI
-airbags(from one to countless)
-navigation
-keyless controls
-ride
-UV glass
-sound systems
-rear cupholders
-updated stability control
-HID
-auto electrochromatic mirrors(including side mirrors)
-auto tilting mirrors in reverse
-gates shifters
-4spd became 5spd became 6spd
-rear seat more accomadating to third passenger
-road and wind noise virtually eliminated
Old 02-13-04, 10:04 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

I put kyb,s on the rear of my 92. Now it rides and handles the way I prefer. I do not like a floaty ride. I like a car that will fly around corners if I am in the mood for some mountain raceing. When I go over a bump I dont want the car to jump all around. I have owned about eight mercedes over the years. None of them had a floaty ride. So if any one reading this is worried about installing KYB,s don't be. They make the car more presise in fast curvy driveing You will not have the floaty ride a lot of people like. You will have a car you can drive at high speed over secondary roads with much more control. carpe diem. michael
Old 02-13-04, 02:14 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Don't forget, your perceptions can often fool you. Since this regards generational changes to the LS, I'm speaking about the changes through the years, not with KYB's. The newere generation Lexus's use a "smart" suspension that basically floats on rough terrain but gets stiffer when accelerating, braking, or making high speed turns, and the numbers show it. Most of you own the one of the first generation LS's and you'll notice some significant brake dive and pitch under acceleration, and also a lot of roll in turns. The new LS's soak up turns better, yet have very little of each by comparison. Not to flame or hate, but a word of precaution to modifiers, you may inadvertently hurt your performance. The Seat-Of-The-Pants test doesn't always accurately reflect performance. These cars were very well designed(years and years of work) and have been tested extensively. Unless you've really had accurate testing of your new parts, you'll never know the real effects. Not that I'm specifically talking about the KYB's. I'm actually interested to try em. But even with extensive handling upgrades(aside from adding more parts to the car than its worth), my first gen LS stand's no chance against my father's 99 which stands no chance against the newest LS430 . . . Those cars are both smoother riding and faster at everything. I think I'll go cry now, but it's true.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Generations: Difference is softness over bumps