LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 Suspenion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 07:23 PM
lexchip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Suspenion Upgrades

My 190 LS400 is a gem and I want to keep it around for as long as possible. I do need to upgrade the suspension however. My front control arm is clunking so it 's time to make a move. One member recommended Eibach springs and KYB shocks. What about coilovers? Has anyone tried them?
I have been looking at wheel/tire combinations also. I happen to think 5 spoke wheels look great on these cars—but I'm not sure which size works best. Any advice for the group on sizing?

Last edited by lexchip; 12-01-03 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 09:53 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

If you want a smooth, comfortable, Lexus-like ride- do not go with the "KYB" struts. The previous owner of my car had KYB struts installed on the rear about 4 months before they sold it. I must say- I really like the car, but the ride is way too firm from the rear suspension. It picks up every bump in the road and rides nothing like my aunts 90 LS400. I have already ordered factory Lexus struts (which I was told would offer the softest ride). They are $51.00 each and my mechanic is going to change them out for $45.00. The previous owner of my car paid $79.95 ea. for the KYB struts. Someone recently told me that the KYB struts are now selling for as much as $100. each. If I can sell them for $100 (for both) I will sell them to whoever wants them. I will probably place them on E-Bay. They are still virtually new, as they have less than 300 miles on them. I am sure they are good struts and some people may like the ride they offer, but the ride is a little too firm to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-01-03, 10:45 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shaffer
If you want a smooth, comfortable, Lexus-like ride- do not go with the "KYB" struts. The previous owner of my car had KYB struts installed on the rear about 4 months before they sold it. I must say- I really like the car, but the ride is way too firm from the rear suspension. It picks up every bump in the road and rides nothing like my aunts 90 LS400. I have already ordered factory Lexus struts (which I was told would offer the softest ride). They are $51.00 each and my mechanic is going to change them out for $45.00. The previous owner of my car paid $79.95 ea. for the KYB struts. Someone recently told me that the KYB struts are now selling for as much as $100. each. If I can sell them for $100 (for both) I will sell them to whoever wants them. I will probably place them on E-Bay. They are still virtually new, as they have less than 300 miles on them. I am sure they are good struts and some people may like the ride they offer, but the ride is a little too firm to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
notice he said suspension upgrades. cant really upgrade from Lexus struts to Lexus struts

by the way, Lexchip... why dont you search the threads? this question has been tossed around a hundred times... put some time into research and the answers are there.. its all been discussed
Old 12-02-03, 02:13 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by persian451
notice he said suspension upgrades. cant really upgrade from Lexus struts to Lexus struts
Upgrade is a relative term. An upgrade for one person is a downgrade for another and vice versa. I considered a strut conversion from KYB to OEM an upgrade.
Old 12-02-03, 06:26 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hyperopt
QUOTE] Screw the mods!
Maintain the car in the conditions that it was designed for!

That is sooo boring !!!!!!!!!! Hey Man Take A Chance and Improve that old Lex
Old 12-04-03, 10:40 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Lexkost
[B That is sooo boring !!!!!!!!!! Hey Man Take A Chance and Improve that old Lex [/B]
Hell no, not my LS! If I wanted traits that the LS didn't inherent, I would not buy it, and would own something else more suitable. So if you want to "improve" your LS, be my guest MAN, I hope you got what you're looking for.
Old 12-04-03, 11:04 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

QUOTE]Originally posted by hyperopt
Hell no, not my LS! If I wanted traits that the LS didn't inherent, I would not buy it, and would own something else more suitable. So if you want to "improve" your LS, be my guest MAN, I hope you got what you're looking for. [/QUOTE]

Hey I will be here to help you when you need it..............Just remember we don't have to turn it into a VIP car just add some goodies.......

I GOT PLANS FOR YOU!
Old 12-04-03, 08:56 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Oh yeah... I guess I was "blind" when I read that. lol

If you want "KYB" struts for the rear- I will have some for sale soon. I am changing my struts back to the factory Lexus struts. The KYBs have a ride that is to firm for me. They have less than 1000 miles on them. Someone said they sell for $100 each now. I will probably place mine on E-Bay and see what they sell for. If they don't sell, I can always keep them and have them if I need them later on- or give them to my uncle for my aunts LS400.

Originally posted by persian451

by the way, Lexchip... why dont you search the threads? this question has been tossed around a hundred times... put some time into research and the answers are there.. its all been discussed
Old 12-15-03, 09:25 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason why the shocks are "too stiff" is because they are new. Give them some time to wear in and you'll feel the difference. That goes for any kind of shocks.
Old 12-16-03, 05:19 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks, but I already had Toyota struts installed. The car has a much softer ride now and is now comfortable. I am assuming it has a "like new" ride now, since it has the same struts that were installed. I actually hope that even the current Toyota struts will soften a bit more, as I like a soft, cushy ride. Like you mentioned- I guess they will soften even more over time, which will probably provide a very comfortable ride. The ride is smooth now, but still not as soft riding as my aunts 90 LS400, with the original struts, which are probably worn. I have seen several early 90 LS400s, with floaty, worn suspension. I do not want my car to be so floaty that the handling will be hampered, but still like a little float to it. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Wide LS
I think the reason why the shocks are "too stiff" is because they are new. Give them some time to wear in and you'll feel the difference. That goes for any kind of shocks.