LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

First Thread LS500

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by jzqj55
I very much prefer the appearance of the MB s550 - Particularly the appearance of the grill. LS500 Seems way too garish.

Standard engine of the MB s550 far outclasses LS500. At this price point, gas mileage makes little difference to most buyers.

Thought they would have done something more advanced/easier to use than the touch pad for the interior controls.

Interior of doors not up to the appearance of LS460's.

Appears there is a loss in headroom also.

After all this time, I expected much more.
Wait until you see it in person, and remember than the S550 is significantly more expensive than the LS is likely to be.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Look closely near the 8 and it reads x1000 RPM

Can't get the pic you're trying to link to but the one I'm talking about is in the OP's pictures. It clearly is an MPH readout, and says "MPH" in the same position as it says "RPM x1000" in the picture where it is configured as an RPM readout.
Old 02-17-17, 09:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jzqj55
I very much prefer the appearance of the MB s550 - Particularly the appearance of the grill. LS500 Seems way too garish.

Standard engine of the MB s550 far outclasses LS500. At this price point, gas mileage makes little difference to most buyers.

Thought they would have done something more advanced/easier to use than the touch pad for the interior controls.

Interior of doors not up to the appearance of LS460's.

Appears there is a loss in headroom also.

After all this time, I expected much more.
Im sorry, as I just don't agree. And I honestly hate to keep repeating myself, but I really think that (as Steve just stated), you really have to see the LS in person to really appreciate it, especially spindle grille and more specifically, the interior. The grille being garish?? Quite the contrary, as it is seamlessly and beautifully infused with the overall lines and slope of the vehicle. It is very fluid and in fact, visually sets the tone for the overall stance of the vehicle. It is a sleek, low-to-the ground, wide vehicle that is a great combination of smooth and edgy contoured lines, progressive, subtle yet aggressive and it is till classy without appearing over-stated.
Regarding the engine, indeed the S class offers the V8 as opposed to the TTV6, however its remains to bee seen just what impact that will have on potential customers.
Interior controls, again, something-I think, you'll just have to experience, as some love the touch pad.
Interior of doors not up to the standard of the current 460.. I can only say one thing: You have to see it in person.
Headroom im simply not sure about, but given the fact this is a world-class flagship luxury sedan, its longer and I believe wider, the head room, if lessened, is menial.
Also, as Steve stated, its less than the S-Class as well as the fact that Lexus is not going for the likes of the framework of the S-Class.
But for me, having seen them within steps of each other, IMHO, the LS500 is simply the more attractive choice.
The following users liked this post:
JellyBean (02-24-17)
Old 02-17-17, 10:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Can't get the pic you're trying to link to but the one I'm talking about is in the OP's pictures. It clearly is an MPH readout, and says "MPH" in the same position as it says "RPM x1000" in the picture where it is configured as an RPM readout.
Thanks for clarifying. I see which picture you were referring to.
Old 02-24-17, 05:42 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Outstanding!

Originally Posted by CRowe14
The grille being garish?? Quite the contrary, as it is seamlessly and beautifully infused with the overall lines and slope of the vehicle. It is very fluid and in fact, visually sets the tone for the overall stance of the vehicle. It is a sleek, low-to-the ground, wide vehicle that is a great combination of smooth and edgy contoured lines, progressive, subtle yet aggressive and it is till classy without appearing over-stated.
Wow!!! That’s the best writing I’ve seen in CL since I joined in 2004! I must say with the utmost respect (seriously) that you have a bright future as a marketing copywriter. I would've never imagined “absurdly ugly” described in such wonderful, persuasive and enchanting prose. Of course, “absurdly ugly” is my blunt opinion of the grille and you obviously disagree. But I’ll probably buy the car because of its drop dead gorgeous everything else, especially the interior. I'll be hanging out in this section of CL just because of your prose. And I'm not being sarcastic, I just *loved* how you worded your opinion. Thanks!!!

JB
Old 02-25-17, 05:50 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Wow!!! That’s the best writing I’ve seen in CL since I joined in 2004! I must say with the utmost respect (seriously) that you have a bright future as a marketing copywriter. I would've never imagined “absurdly ugly” described in such wonderful, persuasive and enchanting prose. Of course, “absurdly ugly” is my blunt opinion of the grille and you obviously disagree. But I’ll probably buy the car because of its drop dead gorgeous everything else, especially the interior. I'll be hanging out in this section of CL just because of your prose. And I'm not being sarcastic, I just *loved* how you worded your opinion. Thanks!!!

JB
I don't like the look of the cars that had the predator grills added. However, for vehicles designed with the grill in mind, like the LS, they look good. Again, even the Infiniti M37, which looks the same, has a spindle like grill, back in 2010.
Old 02-26-17, 10:45 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The **** placement comes from the LFA, FYI:

That's EXACTLY where they came from! In seeing some more pics of the new LS interior in this thread- (more of a panorama of the dash), it flows somewhat better than just a pic of the gauge cluster suggests. Can't wait to see the car in person. Heaven knows the LC500 is quite impressive...this new LS should be as well.

I too have somewhat grudgingly accepted the TTV6 concept...at least, at this point we're somewhat stuck with it; and it's undeniable the power (mainly tq) and a bit of weight savings. Long term durability remains to be seen with many of these new mills, though.