LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Paint Color Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 11:22 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Last summer, I very nearly had a professional detailer do the whole caboodle (paint correction, quartz coating etc.) for about 1600 bucks. I came to my senses just in time and canceled the appointment. I couldn't be happier. Sure I wash my car lovingly by hand using the best products, but when it comes to swirls etc., I have decided to live with them. I don't have the skills or the time to do this job myself. But I don't let the swirls and holograms bother me anymore... I just avoid looking at my car from certain angles in bright sunlight!
Old 01-19-17, 09:43 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Here's a tip.... steer clear of anyone that calls the process "paint correction". It's a simple buffing that anyone with a little experience can do just fine. If they are asking more than $200 to buff out the paint, they are gouging you.
Don't tell that to Zack and some of the good folks over there in the Automotive Care & Detailing area of the forum!!
Old 01-19-17, 09:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Here's a tip.... steer clear of anyone that calls the process "paint correction". It's a simple buffing that anyone with a little experience can do just fine. If they are asking more than $200 to buff out the paint, they are gouging you.
This isn't very good advice. I specifically would not let anybody who only charges $200 to polish out my car anywhere near my car. Somebody who doesn't know anything about what they're doing can absolutely destroy your paint with a buffer, best case make it a lot worse requiring more expensive repairs.To properly polish out an obsidian LS you're looking at 10-15 hours work. Good people don't work for that hourly rate.

Detailing is is a skill that requires a lot of time to hone, somebody who takes pride in what they do is what you want, and you're going to pay more than $200 for somebody really good to work on your car.

If you don't want to pay prices for quality work, invest in the right tools and do it yourself. It'll turn out better than a $200 job lol

One thing you guys may want to try are some of these new polishes that fill swirls with similar material to these paint coatings that are out there now. Not a permanent solution but better than nothing.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-19-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 04:41 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Now that I have gotten the dent fixed and deck lid repainted, next Wednesday I am going back to the same place to have them compound and polish the Obsidian Black surfacescratchmonster. They happen to be the best body shop in the area and it is where everyone I know who owns a Porsche or likewise expensive car takes their car to.

Thanks to my older brother's relationship with them, they are doing it for $250 which considering they are having me drop it off right at opening at 8 am and are going to spend all day on, I could not be more pleased.

Once this is completed, aside from getting the Vaistech BT A2DP unit, I am going to call this project completed. That and will be going back to hand washing myself going forward.
Old 01-27-17, 11:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Now that I have gotten the dent fixed and deck lid repainted, next Wednesday I am going back to the same place to have them compound and polish the Obsidian Black surfacescratchmonster. They happen to be the best body shop in the area and it is where everyone I know who owns a Porsche or likewise expensive car takes their car to.

Thanks to my older brother's relationship with them, they are doing it for $250 which considering they are having me drop it off right at opening at 8 am and are going to spend all day on, I could not be more pleased.

Once this is completed, aside from getting the Vaistech BT A2DP unit, I am going to call this project completed. That and will be going back to hand washing myself going forward.
And after that hand wash, you'll see the swirls return. LOL. I not only hand wash my car with Mothers Gold, top quality microfiber mitt, two bucket system, etc....tghe swirls are always there right after. NO way around it. I will never own a black car ever again.
Old 01-27-17, 11:51 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

One of the downsides to owning a black vehicle. I seen them on showrooms with swirl marks everywhere.
Old 01-27-17, 12:27 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
And after that hand wash, you'll see the swirls return. LOL. I not only hand wash my car with Mothers Gold, top quality microfiber mitt, two bucket system, etc....tghe swirls are always there right after. NO way around it. I will never own a black car ever again.
While I somewhat knew what I was getting into, there were no other LS's within 500 miles that offered single ownership, absolutely complete Lexus service history, no accidents, and was priced below Black Book wholesale.

Granted after fixing the dent, I suppose it really brought it up to around $17,400, but for one with 88,000 miles, brand new michelins and full brake replacement within 5000 miles of purchase, and being pretty well optioned, I could not possibly happier.
The cruel thing is Obsidian looks amazing on the model and cannot wait to see it next Wednesday afternoon.

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
One of the downsides to owning a black vehicle. I seen them on showrooms with swirl marks everywhere.
Nature of the beast, that said, even as it currently stands, I do not notice them unless it is direct sunlight at certain hours of the day.
Old 01-27-17, 12:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

While I somewhat knew what I was getting into, there were no other LS's within 500 miles that offered single ownership, absolutely complete Lexus service history, no accidents, and was priced below Black Book wholesale.
Yep...pretty much the same story for me. It's all that was available, other than a silver one which the dealer was unreasonable about.
Old 01-27-17, 04:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm a weekend detailing hobbyist, meaning ive done a few cars, I find some enjoyment in it, and I like to do it as a side hobby but I'm far from a professional, and even I wouldn't do an entire car for $200.

Materials and pads alone will cost you at least $20 or $30 on the minimum depending on how bad the car is, and to do a proper job you will need to do the entire car at least twice, once with the aggressive cutting polish, and another with the finer.....for me I wouldn't touch any car for less then $350 , but anyone who is charging $800-$900 $1000+ is starting to get into rip off territory, regardless of how good or experienced they are.

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Thanks for all the replies. My biggest thing is that a proper pint correction is very expensive. I have done it once already. After it was corrected the car looked brand new. However, after regular washing even using the best techniques some swirls are starting to appear. I have looked into a coating like C Quartz finest which I believe is one of the ceramic coatings. However, if I were to have the car corrected again plus do that coating I am looking at well over $1100. That plus the prior coating and I have already paid more than half the cost of a wrap. Wrapping would eliminate the constant paint maintenance plus no more future polishing or correcting....still torn.
This is because they didn't actually buff out the swirls, they used a filling polish which temporarily fills the swirls , and after u wash it a few times they come back.

Your best bet is to buy a dual action, random orbital , which is basically child proof. You cant really burn through the paint with a dual action unless you held it on the same spot for 5 minutes purposely trying to cause harm, and even then it probably wouldn't burn through.

Don't waste $3k on a wrap, spend $200-$300 for the tools and learn a new skill.