LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 transmission service: drop pan, replace filter & fill

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 10:41 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer31
Thought I would chime in on another way to flush out all the old fluid with out a dedicated machine. I removed drain plug on pan and measured how much came out. Then dropped pan slowly and caught remaining fluid and measured it. Replaced gasket and filter, removed fill plug from drivers side of tranny and then added new fluid that equaled all that I took out. Now that there was fluid back in tranny, I disconnected the supply line from the transmission that runs into the bottom of the raditator, added a 1' length of clear hose and inserted it into an empty and clean old milk jug. I had a friend start the car (left it in park) and watched the tranny pump out 4 quarts of nasty near black fluid. Shut off car, reinstall 4 quarts of new fluid in tranny to replace what it pumped out. Repeated the same process two more times ( used 11 quarts total). At the end of the last time, the last 1/2 quart or so came out nice and bright red indicating all the old was flushed out. Reinstalled tranny line on radiator, followed the Lexus procedure exactly as many have done to set proper fluid level and called it DONE!

I have used the same process for all my cars and never had any issues - this is about as simple as it gets and costs nothing but about 10 - 15 minutes to do properly. This worked becuase the internal pump in tranny draws the fluid from the bottom of the pan, pumps it through the valve body, clutches etc then pushes it into the torque converter and then out to the cooler in the radiator and returns cooled fluid into pan to continue the cycle over and over again. By shutting car off after every 4 quarts of old fluid pumped out and adding 4 new qts into fill hole, the tranny "thinks" it is returning from cooler line and maintaining level in pan. It only takes about 15-20 seconds at an idle for the tranny to pump out 4 quarts.
This is the BEST way to do a DIY flush of the entire system....... I have done a flush this way on several of my work trucks and it is amazing the gunk that comes out of the trans and converter.
Thanks for the DIY write up!..... Very helpful for the DIYer.
The following users liked this post:
03 LS 430 (02-24-22)
Old 01-13-17, 04:46 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

4 days after the transmission service:
Gear shifting is very smooth, it was not this fluent before the service.

Gas mileage increased from 23.6 to 26.1
can't believe that the dealers pretend that there is no need to service the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
03 LS 430 (02-24-22)
Old 01-13-17, 07:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

can't believe that the dealers pretend that there is no need to service the transmission.
Depends on the dealer. My dealer rolled their eyes when I mentioned that the US market says the fluid is "lifetime". The Canadian market (and Europe, Asia as well), requires fluid change at 96k miles. Only the US is different - likely due to marketing.
Old 01-13-17, 08:15 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Depends on the dealer. My dealer rolled their eyes when I mentioned that the US market says the fluid is "lifetime". The Canadian market (and Europe, Asia as well), requires fluid change at 96k miles. Only the US is different - likely due to marketing.
Lexus calls it LIFETIME FLUID......... I call it LIFETIME BUSINESS for Lexus.
Old 01-13-17, 09:57 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

What pump do you guys use to pump back new transmission fluid? i know many are using the hand pump that is available in Walmart for $8 or in HarborFreight for $5.

The "Ironton Oil Extractor Pump 12V DC 60 Watts" in NorthernTools is on sale now for $20, seems like a good tool for this service.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6412_200596412

Any other good options?
Old 01-13-17, 11:39 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

NICE FIND!! THIS ^^ electric pump looks nice for extracting the fluid and is reasonably priced, however I am NOT a fan of using an "extractor" especially when there is a way to do a complete drain, due to the fact that there could be "gunk" settled into the bottom of the assembly along with left over fluid that may contain contaminates.
A "disposable" hand pump works great for refilling fluids and can also be used for extracting too. I use a MOTIVE #1735 Power Fill Pro for filling all types of fluids and it works great...... However it is pricey compared to the $10 disposable hand pumps. Another affordable fluid filler is a small garden "pump up" garden sprayer that works great with a few modifications.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 01-13-17 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 10:33 PM
glenns
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer31

I have used the same process for all my cars and never had any issues - this is about as simple as it gets and costs nothing but about 10 - 15 minutes to do properly. This worked because the internal pump in tranny draws the fluid from the bottom of the pan, pumps it through the valve body, clutches etc then pushes it into the torque converter and then out to the cooler in the radiator and returns cooled fluid into pan to continue the cycle over and over again. By shutting car off after every 4 quarts of old fluid pumped out and adding 4 new qts into fill hole, the tranny "thinks" it is returning from cooler line and maintaining level in pan. It only takes about 15-20 seconds at an idle for the tranny to pump out 4 quarts.

Well I screwed this up today!!!

hopefully will sort out in the morning. Followed zracers method, first drained, then dropped pan, cleaned everything really well and installed new beck arnley filter and gasket, all good. added back in about 4 qts, my close guess to measurement of what I got out...some spilled despite being really careful when getting that last bit of the pan to free up from the trans..also quite a bit trapped in filter.

Then pulled line into cooler, took out just around 3 qts, added 3 more back in, and did this two more times.....and where I screwed up is then I checked overflow...bad move as I think I forgot to cycle everything and I drained just over 2 qts..ran 100 yards down street...ehh not right, flared shifts....put it back on lift, opened overflow check bolt and got another quart out....hmm strange, try again about 100 yards...slipping really bad now....almost was not able to get it back on the pad for the lift. (good luck to anyone who attempts this on jackstands or ramps lol.

So...I must be waayyy low. Not sure if my Matco scanner will show trans temp, (still sorting techstream on my laptop) but i can jump the OBD and do that method when I have more time tomorrow.

Inside of trans very clean...fluid pretty nasty, very purple color. Pretty typical amount of sludge on the magnets, trans was pretty good before this, but I think could be a bit smoother.

So those who have done this method with flushing more out via cooler lines, did you cycle the trans many times in D and R and S to get fluid everywhere its supposed to be?
Old 06-06-18, 09:40 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by glenns
Well I screwed this up today!!!

hopefully will sort out in the morning. Followed zracers method, first drained, then dropped pan, cleaned everything really well and installed new beck arnley filter and gasket, all good. added back in about 4 qts, my close guess to measurement of what I got out...some spilled despite being really careful when getting that last bit of the pan to free up from the trans..also quite a bit trapped in filter.

Then pulled line into cooler, took out just around 3 qts, added 3 more back in, and did this two more times.....and where I screwed up is then I checked overflow...bad move as I think I forgot to cycle everything and I drained just over 2 qts..ran 100 yards down street...ehh not right, flared shifts....put it back on lift, opened overflow check bolt and got another quart out....hmm strange, try again about 100 yards...slipping really bad now....almost was not able to get it back on the pad for the lift. (good luck to anyone who attempts this on jackstands or ramps lol.

So...I must be waayyy low. Not sure if my Matco scanner will show trans temp, (still sorting techstream on my laptop) but i can jump the OBD and do that method when I have more time tomorrow.

Inside of trans very clean...fluid pretty nasty, very purple color. Pretty typical amount of sludge on the magnets, trans was pretty good before this, but I think could be a bit smoother.

So those who have done this method with flushing more out via cooler lines, did you cycle the trans many times in D and R and S to get fluid everywhere its supposed to be?
I just completed this yesterday. I've used the cooler lines to flush the fluid on my 400 twice. Once at 125k and again at 190k. It has 245k on the clock right now without any issues. I also flushed the fluid on my 430 right before it was totaled and used techstream to monitor the fluid temp before opening the overflow plug and almost a quart came out. The car shifted perfectly before it's demise. Yesterday I drained I drained out 11.5qt from the 460 and put the same amount back. Took it for a drive and everything seemed ok. I lost the sunlight so I did not have a chance to check the overflow but plan to do it today.
Old 06-06-18, 11:40 AM
glenns
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I bungled the check...added fluid back in this morning, got my buddies really good snap on scanner since I do not have TS going yet...checked at 122 degree, still a lil low added another quart and then got some out of the overflow on the second check. All in all I pretty much probably got 90% of the old fluid out, new filter, and super clean pan and magnets. Shifts feel slightly smoother and little firmer when you get on it harder. After about 5 or 6 miles and couple hard accelerations I re checked temp, nearly 200 degrees...have heard the WS fluid does not hold up to heat all that great reading the other Toyota forums, I can imagine these things produce some heat and a good synthetic and frequent changes are a good idea.

No idea if the old oil was original, i pulled a sample along with my engine oil, will send to Blackstone later.
Did some more reading on these 8 speeds, supposedly the same as what is in the RCF...if so they sound like they can take some very serious abuse and hold up really well.
Old 06-06-18, 03:58 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I have almost 97k on the clock and the fluid was black but did not smell burnt.
Old 07-14-18, 10:24 AM
Lexus737
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of tools you need to do this job like what size to open the bolts is the transmission pan covered by plastic covered. Also, I did ask around in my area Lexus wants to do drain and fill for $200.00 then found transmission shop that told me they can do drain and fill for $149.00
Old 08-08-19, 07:28 PM
elejes
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
Yes that's what i'm planning to do in the next few weeks,
it's just a bit of work, but not that hard, requiring some patience, probably on a similar level to bleeding brake fluid.
only 2 challenges i can see:
1. Temperature monitor: will use the jumper wire procedure, and also use a heat gun as backup,
2. Hard-to-reach Refill plug: will get a 24mm long wrench, or will just refill from overflow hole.

Determined to bring the transmission service down to a easy DIY task.

My friend who worked in the auto repair business mentioned that in the dealership, there is no time to check the transmission temperature, they just let car idle for 5 min and call that the right transmission temperature....
I cannot get that darn “WS” nut. It’s a pain in the *** because of it’s angle. Not even a long 24” wrench did worked, it kept slipping off. I had to order a low profile 24” socket and I’m hoping it will work.

Did you say we can fill from the overflow? How do you do that, and how do you know when to stop?

Last edited by elejes; 08-08-19 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-09-19, 04:59 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Interesting yesterday when i was at Lexus of Tulsa i ask about trans service. Rep said they do a flush and It is recommended every 60k or so. Cost $260. I told them what others say and he responded that Lexus also list that service on a :LS.

So depends on who and where you ask.
Old 08-09-19, 05:20 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by glenns
Yeah, I bungled the check...added fluid back in this morning, got my buddies really good snap on scanner since I do not have TS going yet...checked at 122 degree, still a lil low added another quart and then got some out of the overflow on the second check. All in all I pretty much probably got 90% of the old fluid out, new filter, and super clean pan and magnets. Shifts feel slightly smoother and little firmer when you get on it harder. After about 5 or 6 miles and couple hard accelerations I re checked temp, nearly 200 degrees...have heard the WS fluid does not hold up to heat all that great reading the other Toyota forums, I can imagine these things produce some heat and a good synthetic and frequent changes are a good idea.

No idea if the old oil was original, i pulled a sample along with my engine oil, will send to Blackstone later.
Did some more reading on these 8 speeds, supposedly the same as what is in the RCF...if so they sound like they can take some very serious abuse and hold up really well.
My definition of abuse is going a decade and 200k or longer without fluid changes. ymmv
Old 09-12-19, 06:14 PM
celynka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not ever use 24mm. It always strips that low profile nut. 15/16 works like charm

Quick Reply: LS 460 transmission service: drop pan, replace filter & fill