LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 11:54 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it just me, or do others see the Infiniti Q70L in the side profile? It's a sad day when Hyundai offers better engine choices than Lexus. No V8?! All other models in this segment offer a V8 as an option. What is Lexus thinking? I will wait to see the car in person to make a final judgement, but a little disappointed with what I've seen so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by COOLIS:
1BlinkGone (01-11-17), 1WILLY1 (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:01 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

The following users liked this post:
1BlinkGone (01-11-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:02 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Haha, Great minds think alike.
Old 01-09-17, 12:04 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As a 2013 LS owner, the 2018 model looks like a mashup of a Toyota Avalon with an Infiniti Q50 sedan.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, but as it stands today, the exterior styling is significantly more Infititi-ish than Lexus-ish.

The interior, however, looks amazing.
Old 01-09-17, 12:06 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Haha, Great minds think alike.
Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this! The second I saw the side profile, the M/Q70 popped into my head. Such a dated design too, seeing that it's been around since 2011.
Old 01-09-17, 12:07 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Is it just me, or do others see the Infiniti Q70L in the side profile? It's a sad day when Hyundai offers better engine choices than Lexus. No V8?! All other models in this segment offer a V8 as an option. What is Lexus thinking? I will wait to see the car in person to make a final judgement, but a little disappointed with what I've seen so far.

​​​​​​​My thoughts exactly! I saw an Infiniti at first too. I've read articles about Bentley being pissed off at lincoln for the continental looking too much like the flying spur. The LS500 is even more like an Infiniti than the bentley to the continental. This could be interesting.
Old 01-09-17, 12:07 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

According to the Car and Driver article I read this morning, the LS will be offered in both short- and long-wheelbase models. Here's an extract:

"Underneath the dramatic new sheetmetal is a version of the same Global Architecture-Luxury (GA-L) platform used in the LC, although the wheelbase is stretched by 10 inches for duty in the four-door. Lexus is offering a choice between standard- and long-wheelbase versions instead of going with a single size, better aligning the LS with its German rivals in the U.S. market (the Audi A8, the Mercedes-Benz S-class and the BMW 7-series are sold here only in long-wheelbase form). The new LS’s overall length is up by one inch over the outgoing long-wheelbase LS, which puts the new car in the same size neighborhood as the Benz and the BMW. And the car is lower and wider now, which is said to impart it with a lower center of gravity for improved handling and responses. "

Here's a link to the full article: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Old 01-09-17, 12:30 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm in the "like the side profile" group. But, I don't care one whit for the 6th glass pieces. They have NO function, they have no aesthetic improvement or appeal (to me). So why create an extra expense and design complexity for such a thing?

I'm also disappointed in the engine. For me, I don't need an engine for drag racing or road racing in a car like this. In a car like this, TORQUE, SMOOTHNESS and even SOUND mean luxury to me. But my suspicion is, that a V8 will be offered, hence the LS 500 name. Again, I would be disappointed if the V8 is outperformed by the V6 (except for mpg).

But my question to you guys is ... WHERE IS THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER? Is it going to use the joystick thingie to select a transmission choice? It doesn't "appear" to have a hard shifter like the current model.
Old 01-09-17, 12:43 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow... this makes it real hard for me.

i have joined the Tesla forums and had sold my 460L Exec Seat Pkg. even on the tesla forums they are talking about this new refreshed LS how the interior is so insane that it's going to give BMW and MB a run for their money.

just when i want to switch to full electric this comes up and reminds me of all of the options the Model S doesn't have! man, i'm torn...maybe the LS will be available as Full Electric????
Old 01-09-17, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I see the Q70L in the side profile. I don't think thats a bad thing. Every time I look at the new LS I like it more.

My only issue is the V8.

As for C&D and the SWB, I think they are incorrect. Bear in mind this is a LWB car and this is the LS500 not the LS500L.
Old 01-09-17, 01:34 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I actually really like the profile
Will agree with Steve here. I was disappointed by the big reveal and didn't find an angle I liked, but the side profile is actually sleek and elegant. I see some Aston Martin in the side profile. Just don't stare at the rear quarter window section.
Old 01-09-17, 01:44 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I also wish it was more radical like the concept as a hatch, but it is a flagship vehicle with an older demographic so understand the bias toward conservatism in the final product. The 7-series and S-Class look dated in comparison. Win.

4.5 seconds is as fast as any of the F cars in the line-up. Seriously quick with not crazy power from the blown V6 which reveals that the weight should be way down compared to the German boats. Win.

This new LS absolutely is head and shoulders above any LS offered in the past. I fully expect it to be priced at a higher bracket just like what Porsche did with their 991 911s. I can't wait to see the F Sport variant because that's the only version that matters to me.

Well done, Lexus.
Old 01-09-17, 01:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It reminds me a little too much of the new Nissan Maxima. Perhaps seeing one in person would change my mind, hope so.
Old 01-09-17, 02:05 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

I am partially disappointed for two main reasons; the car's appearance, and the lack of driving aids.

With respect to the car's appearance, the car just looks bulky and too Infiniti-like. Chubby rear end and somewhat of a mess at the front. Maybe it'll look different in person, but this is not a design that I look at and say "WOW." Cars like the latest S-class got me to say WOW, cars like the Quattroporte, cars like the LF-FC fot me to say WOW. Each has a beautifully flowing design that is its own. S-class oozes elegance and power. Quattroporte reminds me of a tailored Italian suit. And the LF-FC looked like that missing link in the Japanese lineup that married the crisp design from Lexus with style and grace of an Italian supercar. This, on the other hand, just has me saying "why does it look like an old Infiniti so much."

As far as driving aids, I am disappointed at not seeing some form of autonomous driving capability (a la Tesla). Don't get me wrong, I like driving as much as any other car enthusiast. But driving to work each day 70 miles one way on the expressway does get old, and trust me when I say that I would love to have some form of an autopilot in my car. 9 years ago the LS had dynamic cruise and lane assist. It's time for a major upgrade.
Old 01-09-17, 03:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No V8....that sucks. That leaves me out of the mix....not that I could afford one for a while anyway. That leaves me with the Genesis G90, which I love.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!