LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to test for AWD shudder on a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 12:29 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Respect your reasons, Fto1, for passing on this one. But remember, nothing risked, nothing gained...
Thank you for the support, comotiger. I definitely agree with you and it reminds me of when I didn't risk a few thousand dollars on SCSS stock (the makers of the Select Number beds) a few years back when the share price tanked to 25 cents! It would have been a 100x bagger earlier this year! SMH. Oh well, c'est la vie. Besides, who is to say I would have held onto the stock long enough to realize those gains. I probably would have sold it much sooner. I do agree with the proverb though.

I feel fortunate in life and have wonderful parents and wonderful wife and daughter. They all were willing to set aside their fears and still support me going forward with the purchase. They just want me to be happy and I would not be happy ignoring their concerns and faces of consternation.

We considered scenarios where we could transfer the money to my Aunt and Uncle to buy and hold onto the car for us until we could figure out how to get the car home economically. In the end, it wasn't the right opportunity for us and I'm surprisingly fine with it. I think the recent disappointments with the white SF LS and AWD in Topeka has prepared me to cope better. The right car will come along. If it takes longer then I may end up in a newer model year. It seems there are more white 2013+ than 2007-2012. The journey continues...
Old 01-13-17, 01:52 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

FT1,
I am absolutely on the level when it comes to your patience being a virtue. When it came time to replace my 430, I did not have the luxury of time and accordingly literally spent at least 5 hours a day on Autotrader practically until my eyes bled.

I had actually cast a reasonably wide net when it came to replacing the 430. I know I will be branded a heretic on the 3LS subforum, but I literally started regretting selling my LX470 and buying my brother's 430 UL within a day. And again, perfect service history, extended service contract to 85,000 miles, all air shocks replaced, etc.

That experience made me somewhat wary of the 460 even though every time I saw one when I had my 430 all I could think of was how much better I liked the way the 460 looks. My first thought was a BMW 328 (E92) Coupe with xDrive and a 6 Speed. I love manual transmissions as I learned to drive on my father's Audi 5000 CS Quattro (back in the old days when all Quattros were manual), but even without the TT's of the 335, the idea of replacing just the water pump costing in excess of $1000 turned me off that. That and poring over at least 100 CarFax's of 3 Series as literally over 70% are leased and the reports were horrifying. Also, I have a friend who works for BMW who I can give the VIN to for even more info. Came close to buying a 2011 MB E350 4Matic, was torturing myself about purchasing my former boss's E63 (the real one with the 6.2 V8 and not the 5.5 TT they call the 63 these days), and briefly considered an M56 as well. Forgot, also gave some thought to the CTS-V as well.

My heart wanted the E63, but I knew this would be an exceedingly expensive car for a daily driver. Even things like tires are quite costly saying nothing of the required maintenance. All to be expected of a car of its price. It is just there are years I drive over 20,000 miles and the idea of being stuck say in Cody, Wyoming with a broken E63 might not end up too well.

Once I drove a 460, I was honestly shocked as it drove so completely different than did my 430. I know the objective measurements show very little difference in acceleration times between the 430 and the 460, but I really think with different gearing the acceleration in the 460 would have at least produced the 5.4 seconds that Lexus quoted up introduction. Regardless, the moment I drove one, I was hooked. And shocked at how different it drove than my 430.

This literally needs to go without saying, but stick to your guns FT1. I mean it when I say I am both curious and almost anxious to see what finally meets your criteria.
Old 01-16-17, 08:30 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Not that you may be interested but i found this today here.

http://www.lexusofwichita.com/Vehicl...-KS/2899042823

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you for the support, comotiger. I definitely agree with you and it reminds me of when I didn't risk a few thousand dollars on SCSS stock (the makers of the Select Number beds) a few years back when the share price tanked to 25 cents! It would have been a 100x bagger earlier this year! SMH. Oh well, c'est la vie. Besides, who is to say I would have held onto the stock long enough to realize those gains. I probably would have sold it much sooner. I do agree with the proverb though.

I feel fortunate in life and have wonderful parents and wonderful wife and daughter. They all were willing to set aside their fears and still support me going forward with the purchase. They just want me to be happy and I would not be happy ignoring their concerns and faces of consternation.

We considered scenarios where we could transfer the money to my Aunt and Uncle to buy and hold onto the car for us until we could figure out how to get the car home economically. In the end, it wasn't the right opportunity for us and I'm surprisingly fine with it. I think the recent disappointments with the white SF LS and AWD in Topeka has prepared me to cope better. The right car will come along. If it takes longer then I may end up in a newer model year. It seems there are more white 2013+ than 2007-2012. The journey continues...
Old 01-16-17, 09:35 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Not that you may be interested but i found this today here.

http://www.lexusofwichita.com/Vehicl...-KS/2899042823
Thanks for the link, johnnyg. That seems like a great price for a low-mileage short wheelbase. We are looking exclusively at the long wheelbase. However, it is interesting that the car you linked to is the green/gray Verdigris Mica color. We actually are contemplating a 460L at Lexus of Monterey (California) that is also Verdigris Mica. White is still my top choice, but the Verdigris Mica is a very interesting color. Nebula Gray is another color I would consider but haven't come across one at all. The Verdigris Mica in Monterey has all the options we want and even lacks air suspension (good thing to us) and the leather is already in good shape. I haven't had a chance to do a full investigation of the VIN just yet:

http://www.lexusmontereypeninsula.co...17649379?cid=0

The dealer's photos are not the best so I have been reviewing the following thread to get a better idea of Verdigris Mica before committing to a 3-hour (one-way) drive to see the car:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-pictures.html

EDIT: The car seems to check out through Carfax/Autocheck. Two owners, zero accidents. Service history also shows regular maintenance and upkeep, all recalls performed (idle pulleys, fuel pipe, valve spring/lash), brake actuator recently replaced. No reports of control arm bushing issues yet so I emailed the dealership to request a status of the condition of the bushings.

Although zero accidents, I also emailed the dealership about the service history showing recent (last 40 days) repairs to three wheels, dings/dents, and "interior damage". The service report is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VerdigrisMica07.pdf (105.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-16-17 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 07:18 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep, That one looks well maintained. Only think to check on is the dash pad. Is it one of the melting ones? I didn't see it being replaced. Mine has it bad I am still waiting on my replacement to come in. Hopeful. I asked my dealer today. They just got bought out so they claim they don't know the status now. But are looking into it again. I was put on a list last March.
Old 01-17-17, 07:35 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Yep, That one looks well maintained. Only think to check on is the dash pad. Is it one of the melting ones? I didn't see it being replaced. Mine has it bad I am still waiting on my replacement to come in. Hopeful. I asked my dealer today. They just got bought out so they claim they don't know the status now. But are looking into it again. I was put on a list last March.
Wow, waiting since last March?!? Hope it gets resolved for you soon, johnny.

I test drove a local 07 Verdigris Mica today during lunch, mostly to see the color in person before making the trip to the Monterey dealership. The color is definitely unique. I don't hate it and it does look more gray than green from certain angles or under overcast skies. However, I thought about it long and hard and don't think I would be completely happy with the color so I will cancel the appointment with the Monterey dealership, despite the Monterey car being the first car that has the exact option configuration we're looking for (ML, semi-aniline door handle leather, rear-reclining seats and rear-cooled seats, without chill box, without air suspension, and with a light-colored interior). White is my top choice but even if this car were silver I would be all over it...then again, it probably would have a higher asking price for any other color besides Verdigris Mica.

The local Verdigris Mica I test drove happened to have the air suspension and I must admit I liked the Sport setting more than I thought I would. That said, I still see the air suspension as a ticking time bomb and inevitable expense.
Old 01-18-17, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

RE Nebula Grey, that color was not available until 2012. Earlier LSs were Smokey Granite Mica which is darker.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (01-18-17)
Old 01-21-17, 05:45 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS460

You might want to check this out. It is an L and is your preferred color with what it seems an excellent service history.
Might be lacking the reclining seats though. Probably wasting my time to keep on sending these links, but perhaps someone local to that car might benefit from it.
Old 01-21-17, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That car has the reclining rear seats
Old 01-21-17, 07:07 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That car has the reclining rear seats
Well then all the better! Aside from not being AWD, had to see that as being a deal breaker in Cali unless you live in Big Bear or Shasta.
Old 01-21-17, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm interested to know what the issue with it is
Old 01-21-17, 07:48 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Junglequac
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS460

You might want to check this out. It is an L and is your preferred color with what it seems an excellent service history.
Might be lacking the reclining seats though. Probably wasting my time to keep on sending these links, but perhaps someone local to that car might benefit from it.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm interested to know what the issue with it is
Thanks for the link, Jungle. Nothing wrong with this one at all and it has dropped a smidge in price since I saw it a few weeks back. The one you linked to and the one at Woodfield Lexus are pretty much identical except for leather color. Alas, it is too far for us and we have reduced the scope back down to California. We factored in cost of flight, hotel, gas, food into the acquisition of an out-of-State car and it kills most deals. I was talking with the salesperson at Tom Wood Porsche about a 2010 that they just listed with 65K miles. It would be $1300 to transport the car but I'm leery about buying without a test drive or inspection.

If I was single, the white Lexus at Tom Wood, Woodfield, or the one in Texas would have been in the garage already. Alas, this is a family decision and I haven't been able to get buy-in on out-of-State cars. I think the borders of California (and perhaps Las Vegas) are the limits of our perimeter.

I appreciate everyone's continued help on the search. There is a white 07 optioned just like the one you linked to, Jungle, but it's pretty beat up and the service history shows a host of needed repairs. There is also a silver one (light gray interior) I'm currently considering in Irvine, CA -- 07, 65K miles, looks in pristine condition, good seller rating, asking price is a little high at $23,900 but hopefully negotiable. Last service report listed front upper control arms, water pump, and brake fluid all needing replacement. The seller claims to have addressed all of that but I am waiting on proof of repairs.

Believe me, I'm a little miffed too learning of new criteria that makes the family comfortable each time I find a potential candidate because I've invested time exchanging texts, emails, and calls with sellers and don't like wasting mine nor their time. But I think the variables are now clear and all family are on the same page. On the bright side, I keep telling myself the longer this takes opens up the option of us getting into a 2013...maaaaybe.

What do you guys think is the probability of either white LS in Indiana or Illinois going to auction and being picked up by a California dealer? Does that sort of stuff happen?
Old 01-21-17, 08:12 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

I wish you would consider the use of an auto transporter. Considering the service records, a PPI really should assuage any/many concerns you might have. Also, there might be a kind CL Member who happens to live in that area who can go check out the car.

At that price, considering the price and that an auto transport should not be more than $500, you could literally save at least $1000 doing it like this. I respect and understand wanting to do it in in Cali, but it is a super expensive car market on the whole which my baby brother discovered when someone hit his 2008 Infiniti M35 and spent weeks looking for a replacement.

And I would not want a car going to auction ending up in Cali as the fact that the original dealer did not keep it truly says something whereas this one is at a Lexus dealer and is priced thousands below what it should be.
Old 01-21-17, 08:17 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Also, I would look for auto transporters independently as often the dealer has a relationship with the transporter that adds to the price of transport. That white one hits all the prerequisites aside from being AWD and I bet there is room from the asking price.

And looking at the CarFax, you can tell these are Snowbirds who winter in Florida and drive North in Spring. Thus, no real worries about rust. If you can get it around $19,000, I would jump on it.

Heck, now that I spent $900 getting my dent fixed, I kinda have a hankering for an L model with Semi Aniline leather (not sure if this one has it), but if it does, I might look into it myself as I have 3 friends who have already offered me $20,000 for mine.

Last edited by Junglequac; 01-21-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-21-17, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can also pay for a professional inspection of the car, there are services that will do this and provide a very comprehensive report with tons of very detailed pictures.

Its your purchase, but personally I'm not sure why it needs to be so complicated...why do you need to arrange travel and schedules for multiple family members to fly out and be a part of a vehicle purchase? You're buying a car...not adopting a child. Not trying to be offensive, it just seems very strange.

Quick Reply: How to test for AWD shudder on a test drive?