LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to test for AWD shudder on a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 06:59 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

If nothing else, I truly am interested to see what 460 meets the criteria and only hope one that meets it is found and soon. Like many have pointed out, myself included, perfection is an unattainable goal when considering a cars with around 100,000 miles that are close to a decade old.

SW15 makes some stellar points which I whole heartedly agree with. I still think the ideal will/would be a one owner with a complete service history. I would cast a wider net in terms of geography and consider auto transport as it is far less expensive than many think.
Old 01-08-17, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

IMHO you're assuming the best when it comes to these major issues, yet assuming the worst when it comes to minor cosmetic issues. I've never seen anybody do that when searching for a used car.

"I figure the curb hit isn't that big a deal...", "the accident was most likely minor" yet "if they let their armrest get stained and didn't replace a stained trunk mat how well have they cared for the car?" Very unusual.
Old 01-08-17, 07:31 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

I am in league with SW15LS. As my car is black, there are surface scratches a plenty and the aforementioned dent on the trunk lid. What mattered to me was there not being a hole in the service history. And while the valve springs had to be done under recall and also the valve cover gasket was replaced.

However, it was brought in like clockwork every 5000 miles and the PO used full synthetic every 5000 miles and did everything that was recommended to be done by the dealer. It helped he is a VP for Wells Fargo who replaced the LS for a 2016 BMW 740i. Another thing I tend to look for, especially in luxury cars, is that the PO is wealthy.

Unfortunately, often many of the 2-3 owner 2007-2009 460's are financed and so often servicing is not done at the level of the original owner. Quite common with German luxury cars too, but the result of deferred maintenance is far more deleterious.
Old 01-08-17, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And that cosmetic stuff can always be fixed. $700 to a professional detailer and even the black paint can probably be brought back to 90%. Can't replace the maintenance history or it being free from accidents as easily.
Old 01-08-17, 07:47 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And that cosmetic stuff can always be fixed. $700 to a professional detailer and even the black paint can probably be brought back to 90%. Can't replace the maintenance history or it being free from accidents as easily.
Exactly. I could not be possibly happier with my purchase and have already buffed the passenger side of the car to excellent effect. The hood, roof, and driver's side looks pretty good and if the car was not black, 99% of what can be seen would not be noticeable.

Whatever might annoy about the exterior, the interior looks fantastic with nary a thing needing to be done aside from getting the Vaistech BT device.
Old 01-08-17, 08:19 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

IMHO you're assuming the best when it comes to these major issues, yet assuming the worst when it comes to minor cosmetic issues. I've never seen anybody do that when searching for a used car.

"I figure the curb hit isn't that big a deal...", "the accident was most likely minor" yet "if they let their armrest get stained and didn't replace a stained trunk mat how well have they cared for the car?" Very unusual.
Morning, fellas. I was thinking more about everyone's words last night and concluded almost with the same words you wrote, Steve...that I am certainly hoping for the best case scenario and probably am giving the seller/PO too much benefit of doubt. I should be be a little more critical of the mechanical stuff, and I have been the past 1.5 months. This '09 AWD just really blindsided me and it's true I'm not seeing things as clearly with this car. I am fixated on the AWD now.
Old 01-08-17, 08:35 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Junglequac
If nothing else, I truly am interested to see what 460 meets the criteria and only hope one that meets it is found and soon. Like many have pointed out, myself included, perfection is an unattainable goal when considering a cars with around 100,000 miles that are close to a decade old.

SW15 makes some stellar points which I whole heartedly agree with. I still think the ideal will/would be a one owner with a complete service history. I would cast a wider net in terms of geography and consider auto transport as it is far less expensive than many think.
Thanks, Jungle. I don't know how transport prices and service have changed over the past decade. I went with my brother-in-law to the transporter in 2007 to have his Corolla transported from Sacramento, CA to St. Louis, MO where he studied optometry school. Cost was $1k and they ended up damaging his car (and others) when the drunk transporter caused an accident. CarMax seems to charge similarly still if transporting a car from one of their lots in the MidWest to the West coast. For $800-$1000, I would rather just fly (with points) and enjoy the drive back since I do love to drive.

I found two white LS 460L last night that meet my original criteria but even they don't raise my excitement as much as that temptress '09 AWD. I just wish Woodfield Lexus would respond! I have reached out to them through CarGurus.com, twice by personal email, and even directly through their website's "Inquire More" option. All to no avail. Their white 07 has all the options I originally want, was originally sold through Woodfield, then resold as a CPO. Asking price is only $20K and 97K miles. All recalls performed. Leaky water pump and radiator replaced, brake actuator replaced, no accidents, but three owners. The dealership appears to be the barrier though, and the non-communication seems consistent with how Yelp members report being ignored. http://www.woodfieldlexus.com/Vehicl...-IL/2910897273

The other example is in Texas by a private sale. He said he spent $10K on the LCAs and air shocks already back at 70K miles (car is now 98K). I haven't ran the history yet because he mistyped the VIN and I have asked for him to confirm the VIN. So low at $16,900. Do you guys think leather in this state is repairable? Or does the seat bottom need to be replaced? I've seen amazing results posted by some CL members of how they restored their leather but this seems pretty bad. I do like that deep brown wood. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=164219435

Old 01-08-17, 11:39 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

My suggestion is to buy a 13 or 14 LS with low miles........ You might spend more money now but you will have many "maintenance free miles" along with a car that meets your strict standards. A friend of mine saw a beautiful black LSL model with low miles at Lexus of Bridgewater in NJ over the weekend.
BTW! This dealer (along with a FEW other NJ dealers) has high standards for selling a CPO car...... IF the car does not met or exceed the standards they send it to auction.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 01-08-17 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-08-17, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would want to see more pictures of the leather. Can it be repaired? Probably, will likely need to be re-dyed, I would take it to a professional. If the passenger seat looks like that I would definitely want to see the drivers seat.

As for Woodfield Lexus, have you tried calling them?
Old 01-08-17, 12:18 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

I would want to see more pictures of the leather. Can it be repaired? Probably, will likely need to be re-dyed, I would take it to a professional. If the passenger seat looks like that I would definitely want to see the drivers seat.

As for Woodfield Lexus, have you tried calling them?
Thanks, Steve. There's a photo of the driver's seat at the link in my earlier post. The driver's seat actually isn't as bad as the passenger. I need to request additional photos of the rear seats.

As for Woodfield, I thought about calling them but feel I've made sufficient effort to get their attention. They have not responded one iota and they have my phone number to call me, the customer. I am not going to chase them. There are plenty of fish in the sea and plenty of other dealers with better customer service.
Old 01-08-17, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At the end of the day though, if they have a good car its worth it expending the effort even though you shouldn't have to.

Its not like buying a new car where you can just go to the next dealer and buy the same car.
Old 01-08-17, 12:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
My suggestion is to buy a 13 or 14 LS with low miles........ You might spend more money now but you will have many "maintenance free miles" along with a car that meets your strict standards. A friend of mine saw a beautiful black LSL model with low miles at Lexus of Bridgewater in NJ over the weekend.
BTW! This dealer (along with a FEW other NJ dealers) has high standards for selling a CPO car...... IF the car does not met or exceed the standards they send it to auction.
It may just end up working out that way, Chuck, that we end up in a '13 down the road. I have grown increasingly disillusioned and just plain tired of the search. I need to step away from the hunt for a few days. Just so much to check for, Autocheck, CarFax, service history, configuration, rust belt, recalls. Thank goodness most of this research can be done online today, as opposed to 20 years ago. Still, I'm starting to confuse cars and their histories.

For now, I'm cutting back on the search. Spring semester is starting tomorrow and I'm curious what Lexus reveals this week for the new LS.
Old 01-09-17, 05:40 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Kansa, can you please elaborate on "Arm Pit of Kansas"? Is the capitol not a good area?
I hope he was only joking. I am from there but have since moved to Wichita. Topeka is an ok smaller city. Has its issues like so many places.

The Wichita dealership said they only sell AWD here in Kansas. When I went looking for mine My only options were KC and OKC areas. I went to OKC for mine was a well looked after 07.
Old 01-09-17, 05:50 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

As for reaching the dealer, I have always found calling directly their local number as opposed to whatever 800 number shows up on AT, et al will get the best results.
Just ask to speak to someone in sales.
Old 01-09-17, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Also being in sales I can tell you that sometimes online "lead gen" sources fail to transmit a lead, or it's given to some moron salesperson who lets it slip through the cracks.

Quick Reply: How to test for AWD shudder on a test drive?