Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2008 Ls600hL Hybrid battery removal Diy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 01:25 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I am sorry, bud. That's a tough story. You didn't say how long ago you bought the car. But you have driven it only about 4000 miles, and looks like you deal with performance issues or worry about the car every time you drive it. You are still paying it off, and you cannot decide whether to invest the additional 8K. Your experience and CJITTY's are stories of caution for anyone interested in buying an older 600hL, and contrast with riknchar's love story with his 600hL. Good luck!
bought it in july 2016. Yea i know Cjitty. He is a cool friend. I wouldnt say dont buy a high mileage one but i would say if u do make sure the battery was replaced before buying it. And yea some performance issues but this isnt a sports car so i dont drive it hard to much. So performance isn't really my main concern nor am i worried wen i drive it. Im thinking for the future. Better now then later

Last edited by Talidtb; 01-06-17 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 02:21 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I meant it as a compliment, and was not trying to be funny . It is true that many of us have wonderful experiences with our cars, LS or not, while others are not so lucky. I love my loaded 460L, and it comes pretty close to your 600hL in comfort, safety and performance

Our cars were never meant to be investments; they will always depreciate, some faster than others. The return on our "investment" is the pleasure we derive when getting behind the wheel and experiencing the luxurious sensations of the drive, and the comfort and safety afforded our loved ones while traveling.
Well said, Comotiger! I appreciate the complement and definitely didn't take any offense (but it did make me smile).

I know I probably seem to be a bit of an LS600hL "Fan-Boy," but I totally knew going in that there was a real possibility I'd have to fork over quite a bit to replace the hybrid batteries, and I still think the 600s are worth it (at their greatly depreciated price these days, not at the initial $30K premium). I've definitely loved owning it for the past 3 years and will be happily driving it for another 3. I don't really care too much what the current book value is for the car -- its value to me has not changed one bit over the past 3 years, and I'm happy to say it still looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it (and not much different than it did when it was brand new).
Old 01-06-17, 02:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I've definitely loved owning it for the past 3 years and will be happily driving it for another 3. I don't really care too much what the current book value is for the car -- its value to me has not changed one bit over the past 3 years, and I'm happy to say it still looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it (and not much different than it did when it was brand new).
Two questions:
1) Looks like you are not planning to keep the car after the 6 year CPO warranty runs out. Well, I hope you will make full use of the 125K coverage and drive it to the max. What's your current mileage? Don't let any miles go to waste

2) Have you posted pictures of your lovely car in and out? Would love to see some.
Old 01-06-17, 04:41 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

Originally Posted by riknchar
Well said, Comotiger! I appreciate the complement and definitely didn't take any offense (but it did make me smile).

I know I probably seem to be a bit of an LS600hL "Fan-Boy," but I totally knew going in that there was a real possibility I'd have to fork over quite a bit to replace the hybrid batteries, and I still think the 600s are worth it (at their greatly depreciated price these days, not at the initial $30K premium). I've definitely loved owning it for the past 3 years and will be happily driving it for another 3. I don't really care too much what the current book value is for the car -- its value to me has not changed one bit over the past 3 years, and I'm happy to say it still looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it (and not much different than it did when it was brand new).
i agree, i could careless about resale. I didnt buy this car to sell it back. I bought it to keep it. Honestly if lexus is willing to work with me on the pricing then i will do the battery but if they totally right out decline me then i will let the car go forsale. And sad to say but that will be my last lexus. I wont support a company that wont support there supporters.
Old 01-06-17, 04:47 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

The initial estimate:
Old 01-06-17, 06:40 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Talidtb
i agree, i could careless about resale. I didnt buy this car to sell it back. I bought it to keep it. Honestly if lexus is willing to work with me on the pricing then i will do the battery but if they totally right out decline me then i will let the car go forsale. And sad to say but that will be my last lexus. I wont support a company that wont support there supporters.
Did you suggest to the SA that you will buy the battery yourself and have them install it? I saw riknchar's post that a new OEM battery can be bought for less than 4K. And if you order online, maybe you won't pay any sales tax. That would save you over 2.5K compared to what the dealer quoted you. I doubt if the dealer will price-match an online site. Plus you would have to pay sales tax. Next, although you could save a few hundred by getting the battery installed by an independent shop (as riknchar suggested), I agree with you that it would be better to let the dealership install it.
Old 01-06-17, 07:10 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

While I agree it can be frustrating to face such a high bill, you bought a $100k + 9 year old car with over 100k miles. You really aren't supporting Lexus. You supported the used car dealer. Lexus was supported by the person who originally bought the car.

Cjitty was different circumstances as his warranty was expiring and they should have done more to help with that. Just don't think you should throw away driving great cars based on this experience.
Old 01-07-17, 04:24 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you suggest to the SA that you will buy the battery yourself and have them install it? I saw riknchar's post that a new OEM battery can be bought for less than 4K. And if you order online, maybe you won't pay any sales tax. That would save you over 2.5K compared to what the dealer quoted you. I doubt if the dealer will price-match an online site. Plus you would have to pay sales tax. Next, although you could save a few hundred by getting the battery installed by an independent shop (as riknchar suggested), I agree with you that it would be better to let the dealership install it.
agree that you should tell them that you can buy the battery cheaper but I don't think you can get it online. These is a new law that prevents shipping the battery by mail.
Old 01-07-17, 06:43 AM
Talidtb
Rookie

yea buy it myself is the best route. Then have dealer install it. Its actually 5k +. These batteries have a core $1,350. NO Sales tax. And they charge up front. when you return your old one they refund you $1,350. It jus **** me off that theres replacements for all other hybrid car batteries except the 600. And there either at a resonable price or aftermartket that has a better price tag then dealer.

Last edited by Talidtb; 01-07-17 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 06:48 AM
Talidtb
Rookie

Originally Posted by greg3852
While I agree it can be frustrating to face such a high bill, you bought a $100k + 9 year old car with over 100k miles. You really aren't supporting Lexus. You supported the used car dealer. Lexus was supported by the person who originally bought the car.

Cjitty was different circumstances as his warranty was expiring and they should have done more to help with that. Just don't think you should throw away driving great cars based on this experience.
yea i wouldnt. I just wouldnt buy a lexus again lol. Sad but true. Yes i did buy it second hand and at the time 8yrs not 9. And just 6k over the 100k. Also, this isnt my first Ls. Its actually my second. Yes, Jitty experience is different but his experience showed me you cant rely on Lexus. They should of solved his issue without discrepancy. And i wouldnt have settled what they offer him either. Sounds like Lexus is tryna be sneaky now a days and that alone will make me look another direction.
Old 01-07-17, 06:50 AM
Talidtb
Rookie

Originally Posted by hfahmy
agree that you should tell them that you can buy the battery cheaper but I don't think you can get it online. These is a new law that prevents shipping the battery by mail.
Yea i plan on doing that. Nah you can buy it online. These dont come regular mail. Its a frieght delivery and a tractor trailer.
Old 01-07-17, 12:43 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

yea buy it myself is the best route. Then have dealer install it. Its actually 5k +. These batteries have a core $1,350. NO Sales tax. And they charge up front. when you return your old one they refund you $1,350. It jus **** me off that theres replacements for all other hybrid car batteries except the 600. And there either at a resonable price or aftermartket that has a better price tag then dealer.
The 600hL is a very rare car. Combining 2007-2016 MYs, total #s probably far less than 5000. No company is going to make after market batteries for it. The Prius and Camry hybrids are a different story.

I am surprised someone even sells OEM batteries on line for 1000s less. Good luck with the purchase and install.
Old 04-06-17, 10:29 AM
Cazes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2008 LS600hL with 91K a month ago from a used car lot. Paid 24K. I happened to get it at the exact wrong timing before having problems (Battery, Struts, PCS warning light). None occurred during test drive.

The message to check Hybrid system came up a week after having car. Brought to Bellevue WA Lexus dealership. The warranty for battery is 100K or 96months. Service rep said he would contact corporate. Next day he said sorry, they would not help. I have to pay 100% of the parts and labor. It's $6300 after core credit.

Also, a week after having car, I noticed strange noise in front right. Brought into lexus. They said struts had known problem causing 'noise rattle, and ride deterioration'.
There was a service bulletin on this issue, which covered replacement, but this ran out at 50K miles. Lexus Dealership quoted full price for part and labor on this too. No help. I think 2 other struts are making noises too. Need to replace all 4 to be sure.

And lastly, the PCS light is coming on, so according to other posts here, it may be $1000 fix to replace part behind front grill (radar part)

I really believed with this being their flagship car, I would be making a good bet purchasing it. I have always thought Lexus was most reliable brand, and remembered Lexus Dealership experience as awesome from past lexus car ownership experience. (Owned a SC400 previously)

But since the battery is a year out of warranty, original struts had problems, I thought Lexus would at least cut me some break on parts or labor. But no love. I have to pay 100% for all of it.

Wish Lexus had given me something to assist with problems with their Ultimate Flagship.
Old 04-06-17, 12:27 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazes
I just bought a 2008 LS600hL with 91K a month ago from a used car lot. Paid 24K. I happened to get it at the exact wrong timing before having problems (Battery, Struts, PCS warning light). None occurred during test drive.

The message to check Hybrid system came up a week after having car. Brought to Bellevue WA Lexus dealership. The warranty for battery is 100K or 96months. Service rep said he would contact corporate. Next day he said sorry, they would not help. I have to pay 100% of the parts and labor. It's $6300 after core credit.

Also, a week after having car, I noticed strange noise in front right. Brought into lexus. They said struts had known problem causing 'noise rattle, and ride deterioration'.
There was a service bulletin on this issue, which covered replacement, but this ran out at 50K miles. Lexus Dealership quoted full price for part and labor on this too. No help. I think 2 other struts are making noises too. Need to replace all 4 to be sure.

And lastly, the PCS light is coming on, so according to other posts here, it may be $1000 fix to replace part behind front grill (radar part)

I really believed with this being their flagship car, I would be making a good bet purchasing it. I have always thought Lexus was most reliable brand, and remembered Lexus Dealership experience as awesome from past lexus car ownership experience. (Owned a SC400 previously)

But since the battery is a year out of warranty, original struts had problems, I thought Lexus would at least cut me some break on parts or labor. But no love. I have to pay 100% for all of it.

Wish Lexus had given me something to assist with problems with their Ultimate Flagship.
Did the used lot give any type of warranty with the vehicle or a money back guarantee? A week after owning it you should have options
Old 04-06-17, 08:33 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Its disappointing to have expensive repairs in a short time after buying your LS. Did you have the option of a extended warranty?

Quick Reply: 2008 Ls600hL Hybrid battery removal Diy