LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Primacy Vs Pirelli Cinturato

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 09:38 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Michelin Primacy Vs Pirelli Cinturato

My 2011 LS 460L which was bought as CPO earlier this year came with new set of Pirelli Nero tires (254/45/19, W Rated). After few weeks of driving, the tires became loud. So far we put on 32k miles on these tires and these are way too loud now. Tread is gone too.. I am in market for another set of tires. I have always bought Michelins for all my vehicles. For my last 2005 LS 430, I used Michelins Primacy (18" tires). They were very quite and last long. I drove that vehicle for 240 k and during that period had these tires replaced twice. I was able to get 90K plus miles each time from a 60K miles tire warranty (Mostly Highway miles).
As I am researching for new tires for LS 460L, I have narrowed down to Michelin Primacy (50K Warranty) and Pirelli Cinturato. Although did not have a good experience with current Pirelli's still short listed it based on the experiences of our valued members on this forum. My questions to our members are

1. Which tire is a better option. Road noise and longevity are two big priorities. I am n Florida, so snow traction is not an issue at all.
2. Has anyone used both these tires on LS 460 and if yes, which was better
3. Manual list two tires for 19" wheels, V rated and Y rated. The tires came on CPO were W rated. Can we choose any of these speed ratings or these are specific to certain models of LS460L

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-16, 11:34 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, the tire rack user survey ranks the Pirelli higher on both road noise ("comfort") and treadwear. However, these rankings have a habit of changing from time to time.
Old 12-08-16, 01:02 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

sfuad - I would have gone back with Michelins. I have had only great satisfaction with Michelins. But, the Michelins that I would have chosen, were not offered in the 245/45/19 size (at that time, as I recall). I don't remember the Michelins I would have purchased being Primacys. But I don't remember exactly. The Primacy's are rated 10 out of 41 available Grand Touring All-Seasons, and the Pirelli's are rated #1 out of the same 41.

And the Pirellis are or were less expensive. So I went with the Pirellis. So far, they seem OK. But they didn't seem to have as large of an effect from the old tires to the new tires as I expected. Maybe it's due to the lack of connection to the road with an LS. On sports type cars (like the RX-7 I had), I felt more connected to the road. And swapping tires had a big effect. But when floating on a cloud, swapping tires would logically have less noticeable effect. That's my take on it.

I say, go for whichever floats your boat. They're both good tires.

1. I can't answer your #1, as I have less than 2k miles on the Pirelli's. So far, so good.
2. I have not used both.
3. You could choose either of the 2 ratings. Are you sure it isn't V ... and W? But either way, these are speed ratings. V = 149 mph, W = 168 mph, and Y = 186 mph. The LS is speed limited to 130 or 131 mph as far as I've heard. So, a V speed rating is plenty. I don't plan on doing more than about 85 mph anyway.

Jason
Old 12-08-16, 01:26 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Thanks guys for all the valuable input. I would go with Michelin. These are not available now but per Costco tech, these would be available next month. I would wait for them
Old 12-08-16, 01:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I assume you are talking about the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I had these on my car two sets ago. You are right in that they are on the noisey side, although that didn't bother me as I always have the radio going. I loved them because they tracked great in wet weather. I now have the Cinturato P7 after having the Conti PureContact w/ EcoPlus. The Contis were really quiet, but these P7s seem reasonably quiet to me. The Michelins I don't know about.
Old 12-08-16, 02:14 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I just came from the tire shop after having the P7 A/S+'s installed and I can say I noticed a difference immediately.
Im not a tire expert, but these feel really smooth. Level of quiet is pretty good also, but I believe I have to work with the PSI as all of the tires seem to be around 35/36psi.
Old 12-08-16, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

When you say "Michelin Primacy" understand there are two. The one you are remembering having on your LS430 was the MXV4. Those were great tires, but they are no longer made. The ones available for the LS are the MXM4, which is a more handling biased tire. I've ha both them and the Pirellis P7 Plus and prefer the Pirelli. The Pirelli is very similar to the Primacy MXV4 which I had many sets on various Lexus sedans including my LS430.

The replacement tire tire for the MXV4 is the Michelin Premier, which is not made in the LS's sizes.
Old 12-09-16, 05:07 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When you say "Michelin Primacy" understand there are two. The one you are remembering having on your LS430 was the MXV4. Those were great tires, but they are no longer made. The ones available for the LS are the MXM4, which is a more handling biased tire. I've ha both them and the Pirellis P7 Plus and prefer the Pirelli. The Pirelli is very similar to the Primacy MXV4 which I had many sets on various Lexus sedans including my LS430.

The replacement tire tire for the MXV4 is the Michelin Premier, which is not made in the LS's sizes.
I'll also vouch for the P7 Plus. Had them as well and had no complaints.
Old 12-09-16, 05:32 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that they might be the same tires. I actually did not see these in person. I would start looking at Cinturato's as well.
Old 12-09-16, 06:02 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

sfuad

Go with the P7's you will not regret it.

Dennis
Old 12-09-16, 09:15 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfuad
Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that they might be the same tires. I actually did not see these in person. I would start looking at Cinturato's as well.
How can you tell whether it is good or nor not before you buy the tires? It is very hard to compare different tires than comparing interconnect cables. You can borrow 10 different audio cables from dealers and do A/B or blind test at home, but you can't borrow 10 sets of tires from dealers to try them on your car.

To really find out what is the best tire for your LS, you need to spend $10K to buy 10 sets of different tires and try them on your cars, then you can tell with some confidence what tire is best for your LS. Then you sell all those 9 sets of tires at 70% discount. So this process will cost you about $3K.

I can't afford that process, that is why I just go with P7 because that is what most of people recommended on the forum. After the new rubber is broken in, I found the tire is nicely blend in with the car, The tire and the car compliment each other in terms of quietness.