LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Went From a 2005 UL LS430 to a LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 08:56 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think it's been covered pretty extensively, but there's some debate on whether the OCI is 5,000 or 10,000 miles on earlier models. Someone posted that they changed it to 10,000 using a synthetic, others...myself included think that's a bit too long for a direct injected timing chain engine. I asked a Lexus shop foreman this very question and he said, I'd change it at 5,000. So I asked, even if I'm using synthetic? And he said, yup even if it's synthetic. Of course I'm stubborn so I push it a little to 7,000 miles, but I probably shouldn't/won't be doing that anymore.
Old 12-23-16, 09:36 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

One of the reasons my OCI is 5K miles is that I've a CPO vehicle and IIRC, it's expected that one follows the manufacturers maintenance schedule and specifications. My 2010 manual says this about the oil:
----------
■ Engine oil selection

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the follow- ing grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20

SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 engine oil may be used. However, SAE 0W- 20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

The 0W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.

The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.
----------

My dealer uses 5W-20. I don't know the oil brand.
Old 12-23-16, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Yeah all dealers use drums, the question is whats in the drums lol
Old 12-23-16, 04:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah all dealers use drums, the question is whats in the drums lol
My dealer assures me that they use TGMO. While I can't prove that they do, I trust that that they do. It would be a pretty risky scam to pull if they don't. Regardless, the oil I had analyzed came back with it's additive pack still intact after 10k miles. It was high in moly, so I'm confident it was TGMO, as high moly content is a trait in their 0W20 oil.
Old 12-23-16, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My dealer assures me that they use TGMO. While I can't prove that they do, I trust that that they do. It would be a pretty risky scam to pull if they don't. Regardless, the oil I had analyzed came back with it's additive pack still intact after 10k miles. It was high in moly, so I'm confident it was TGMO, as high moly content is a trait in their 0W20 oil.
I'm sure a lot of dealers do use it. Mine doesn't unfortunately.
Old 12-23-16, 06:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure a lot of dealers do use it. Mine doesn't unfortunately.
Well, as long as they're up front about it, I guess that's fine. Did they say what they use?
Old 12-23-16, 07:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, as long as they're up front about it, I guess that's fine. Did they say what they use?
I realize they allow for 10k OCI but my concern isn't so much the synthetic oil as it is the ability of the oil filter to continue doing its job well for 10k miles.
Old 12-23-16, 09:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine wasn't, I found out from the distributor. I was at my independent dealer when he got his oil shipment and he uses the same distributor as the dealer, it's just a non name bulk oil.
Old 12-24-16, 09:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Mine wasn't, I found out from the distributor. I was at my independent dealer when he got his oil shipment and he uses the same distributor as the dealer, it's just a non name bulk oil.
But a synthetic? It'd be interesting to get an analysis done on it. I volunteer you!
Old 12-24-16, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But a synthetic? It'd be interesting to get an analysis done on it. I volunteer you!
The distributor said it was synthetic.

Not a bad idea, I'm at 28,000 I'll get a sample.
Old 12-26-16, 10:30 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
You guys are absolutely correct. I cannot believe the all around difference between the two vehicles. And the difference between the Mark Levinson systems is nothing short of astonishing and I say this as a former professional reviewer of "esoteric" high end audio gear. DVD-A (Audio) discs sound amazing. As do well mastered CD's.

I honestly even love the steering compared to the 430 in spite of it not being the variable ratio on the Sport models. However, the power and especially torque are decidedly noticed. Driving from Knoxville, TN to Charlotte, NC you cross over the Appalachians (Great Smokey Mountains National Park) and there are several relatively steep grades where my LX470 struggled to keep speed and the run right at the TN-NC border is chock full of curves and the handling is quite decent.

Really it was the service records that made me get this particular car as there is literally not a hole in the entire life of the car. On the bad side, there are some scratches on the top of the trunk and the top of the bumper where luggage is put in. In addition, there is a dent just to the right of the "L" logo that while not absurdly noticeable, just will not pass muster for me. I knew about the dent going in. Interior is perfect and very few blemishes elsewhere.

I paid $16,500 for it and he had dozens of offers at his full asking (showed me the texts) Like my earlier post stated, the rotors and pads were just done 4000 miles ago and new tires were purchased at the dealer 10,000 miles ago. I just so happened to be the first guy to call him and true to my word told him I would be there Saturday with cash. Just literally turned 88,000 miles.
Sounds like a great deal. Congrats! This is a good argument for buying a 460 somewhere other than CA.
The following users liked this post:
Junglequac (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 06:04 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Sounds like a great deal. Congrats! This is a good argument for buying a 460 somewhere other than CA.
Thanks!
The Southeast is a very good region to purchase a car. I wouldn't go much further than where I live, but even here about an hour from Great Smokey Mountains National Park, at most there are usually 2-3 snow events and this usually entails 3 inches of snow followed by TV news stories of folks clearing out the shelves as though preparing for the apocalypse..

In the SE we have the humidity that most of CA lacks, but then again sun damage is far less prevalent until you get down to South Florida. All I can say is I never see many if any cars around here with rust.
Old 12-28-16, 11:44 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Well, I am amazingly having a second brake actuator installed as we speak. From reading the service history notes, the PO was having issues with the way the brakes felt immediately after the replacement which occurred around 10,000 miles ago.

After doing the almost the entire 90K service (did not have the wiper blade refills, and BG additive) which included a brake flush, I thought the issue might have come from that. The VSC/Brake Malfunction freakout was utterly intermittent and only happened I think twice and went off. It was even off when I took it into Lexus a few days ago.

My Service Advisor reckoned it to be an ABS sensor and I certainly did not expect it to be the actuator! If nothing else, at least it is free. I miss my car in spite of them putting in an utterly loaded RX350 (hate the hybrid version which they usually give me) with 2500 miles on it.

Mildly disconcerting, but I really do feel better that the PO went in to the dealer multiple times complaining about the brakes not feeling right since it was replaced. Thus, it gives me hope the one they put in was defective off the rip.
Old 12-29-16, 03:58 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

My car has returned and all is right with the world. Noticeable difference in low speed braking situations. Like my prior post alluded to, the PO had complained about issues with his brakes almost immediately after the replacement.

Thank goodness it was gratis as a $3700 repair would have been brutal. Kinda a bummer that I literally the week before had the brake fluid flushed at the dealer and of course they needed to do it again. Still, something like $130 is a heckuva lot better than close to $4000.

So glad to be out of the RX loaner. While loaded to the gills and having Bluetooth streaming my car obviously lacks, I could not get outta that "truck" fast enough. My stepmother has owned literally every generation of the RX and just last fall replaced hers with another that was enough of a special order that she waited months for it. I think it had to do with the red/maroonish color and optioning (to da gills). Her past have all been the "h" model and gosh do I not like CVT transmissions which is why I was so pleased to get a brand new 350 loaner.
Old 12-29-16, 06:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

So glad to be out of the RX loaner. While loaded to the gills and having Bluetooth streaming my car obviously lacks, I could not get outta that "truck" fast enough. My stepmother has owned literally every generation of the RX and just last fall replaced hers with another that was enough of a special order that she waited months for it. I think it had to do with the red/maroonish color and optioning (to da gills). Her past have all been the "h" model and gosh do I not like CVT transmissions which is why I was so pleased to get a brand new 350 loaner.
You can have BT streaming in your LS too as I do in mine. Just get the Vaistech SL3B module installed. Songs displayed on your NAV screen, steering wheel control, etc. Just like factory.

I agree with you on the CVT. My wife has it in her CT200H. Some here insist that the LS600's CVT is better, but I am skeptical. I haven't driven a CVT that I liked yet.

Quick Reply: Went From a 2005 UL LS430 to a LS460