LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Alternatives to 0W 20 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 04:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

So much talk about oil weight without y'all considering additive packages required by Toyota/Lexus. THAT is more important, even if you're not bound by warranty requirements.
Old 12-01-16, 04:06 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
So much talk about oil weight without y'all considering additive packages required by Toyota/Lexus. THAT is more important, even if you're not bound by warranty requirements.
I'm assuming you mentioned LiquiMoly 0W-20 is a good alternative to Toyota 0W-20 because of the (required) additives?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JMM0BM..._t1_B00VXZ0NGC

I ran LiquiMoly 10W-60 in my M5 and it didn't burn any oil like it did with Castrol TWS 10W-60. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing.
Old 12-02-16, 04:46 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Had a conversation with my mechanic about it also and he said he would do 5k changes too vs the 10k because they're hard on oil. So I'm going to start doing it every 5k.
Yeah the more I hear about direct injection cars, the more I hear about fuel dilution. And I keep hearing timing chain engines shear oil. So we are talking about both those things...while using a light weight 0w20 oil, for 10,000 mile oil changes. What does that 0w20 oil shear down to? And how saturated with carbon deposits is that oil at 10,000 miles? I talked to a Lexus shop foreman last spring, he said he wouldn't go past 5,000 miles on these cars. I mentioned to him that the recommended service interval was 10,000 miles, he just repeated...I wouldn't go past 5,000 miles. Do you think I'd listen to him? Of course not, I still go 7,000 miles between changes, but I'm going to dial that back a bit.

Last edited by Doublebase; 12-02-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 08:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As some of you may remember, I went 10k miles on the 0W20 TGMO and then sent a sample to Blackstone. They basically advised me that the oil was in top condition with no measurable loss of additives, no fuel or other dilution and that I should go another 2k miles on the next change (12k miles). I did not, and have settled on 6k mile changes.
Old 02-02-17, 10:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Pretty sure I've decided om Mobil 1 0W20. I've read it's on th heavier end of a 20W oil anyways, as compared to TGMO so I decided to stick with the 20W.
Old 02-03-17, 02:18 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Pretty sure I've decided om Mobil 1 0W20. I've read it's on th heavier end of a 20W oil anyways, as compared to TGMO so I decided to stick with the 20W.
Probably a nice choice, I've used it without issue.

I was in a direct injection class last week and asked the question about direct injection and its toughness on oil. The instructor went on for 20 minutes about how important it is to use a high quality synthetic in DI cars. And in the instructional book that came with the class it said that spcertain systems can wash cylinder walls down with fuel...lead to ring wear and oil consumption issues.

The thing that really was interesting, the instructor used to be a factory rep for Toyota and he said they had Mobill representatives talk to them when the TGMO and 10,000 mile oil changes were being introduced...he said the Mobil reps looked at each other and off the record said...nothing is going to happen to this oil, that they could run it for 80,000 miles just topping up and changing filters. Of course I find that ridiculous, but that's how confident they are in their synthetic oils. I still won't let my oil go past 7,000 miles on any synthetic...and most techs in the room just laughed at the thought of even going past 5,000 miles in their own cars, but the instructor was totally sold on extended oil changes as long as you're using a high quality synthetic.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-10-21)
Old 02-03-17, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did they say that about the TGMO or the Mobil 1?
Old 02-03-17, 07:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Double: Very interesting story.

My story isn't a direct correlation to Mobil's automotive oils, but referencing their industrial synthetic oils, greases and lubricants in gear and tight tolerance applications.

I've worked in the manufacturing industry for over 14 years, and have seen my fair share of gear boxes, pumps, chassis' etc. As one would assume, lubrication is the single most dynamic and important variable to the life of moving metal parts, especially when we're talking about metal alloys, material fatigue, abrasion resistance and thermal effects.

The one company (regarding my exposure) that has been improving their chemistries and lubrication values, seems to test the most rigorously and produces a product that well exceeds operational tolerances and values, is Mobil.
And its not only their line of products that they have readily available for particular applications, they are well equipped to make new formulas either via a base chemistry or something completely new, depending on what the request may be for a given application.

I used to more frequently, but now only occasionally take samples of lubricants that have been in service for thousands of hours, some in open air application, others enclosed, brands such as Castrol, Total, BS, Mobil, and a bunch of non-name brands that I cant recall, and test them for viscous/molecular break down. Mobil was and is by far a superior (in this capacity) product.

The thing that was shocking though, was some time ago, when I tested an open-air gear chamber that was lubricated by a Mobil base lubricant that had been in service without any change out service, for nearly 4.5 years (yeah-things can get neglected), and when I say open air, I mean it was exposed to water, graphite, other greases, dirt, heat and vibration, the product had only lost around 2% of its original lubricating value.

Lastly, I believe that I previously read that Mobil did or does have their hand in assisting Toyota with making their TGMO.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by CRowe14:
Doublebase (02-03-17), Marc780 (07-23-23)
Old 02-03-17, 08:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Lastly, I believe that I previously read that Mobil did or does have their hand in assisting Toyota with making their TGMO.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
It is my understanding that Mobil 1 absolutely DOES manufacture TGMO's 0W20. What makes me choose it over the Mobil 1 is the proprietary additives pack for Toyota/Lexus...specifically the high moly content.
CRowe14 (02-03-17)
Old 02-03-17, 08:38 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

It is my understanding that Mobil 1 absolutely DOES manufacture TGMO's 0W20. What makes me choose it over the Mobil 1 is the proprietary additives pack for Toyota/Lexus...specifically the high moly content.
Welp... there it is! Thanks buddy!
Also, agreed.
Old 02-03-17, 09:18 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

heavier oil = more deposits. seen a 100k miler that had it's VVTi actuator completely seized up with sludge. owner used non 0w20 (something like 10w40)
Marc780 (08-30-23)
Old 02-03-17, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
heavier oil = more deposits. seen a 100k miler that had it's VVTi actuator completely seized up with sludge. owner used non 0w20 (something like 10w40)
Theres a difference between choosing at 0W30 instead of a 0W20 and choosing a 10W40. I have no doubt running 0W30 in my car would be fine.

VVTi existed long before there ever was such a thing as 0W20 oil. As did the engine in the LS460.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-03-17 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
DrQuality (08-10-21), Marc780 (08-30-23)
Old 02-03-17, 12:41 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

That is absolutely the case. Before going with TGMO this time for my first oil change on my 460, I went well down the rabbit hole that is Bobistheoilguy and it was brought up on myriad threads on that forum.

As for Mobil 1, in the past, the only one I used was the one that was designed for European cars and met BMW's specs. Think it is the 0W-30, but don't hold me to it as it has been a while as I had been using Pennzoil Ultra for the past few years. Again after much BITOG dorking out over oil.

I too had read about the importance of full synthetic with DI engines and it was a huge selling point to me that the original owner of my car had used it exclusively since the first oil change all the way until when I purchased it.
Marc780 (08-30-23)
Old 02-03-17, 01:40 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Did they say that about the TGMO or the Mobil 1?
He made no mention of of TGMO specifically, and I didn't get the feeling when listening to him tell the story...it sounded more like "their" oil.
Old 02-03-17, 01:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As for Mobil 1, in the past, the only one I used was the one that was designed for European cars and met BMW's specs. Think it is the 0W-30, but don't hold me to it as it has been a while as I had been using Pennzoil Ultra for the past few years. Again after much BITOG dorking out over oil.
I on the other hand, have not forgotten my dark history with my 7 series, lol. The oil you refer to was 0W40. Mobil 1 was what I used on it, though the cap always said "use Castrol". But try getting Castrol in that viscosity! You can now, but a few years ago, Mobil 1 and Pentosin (if you could find it) were pretty much the only game in town. The other thing about the BMW requirement was that the oil had to meet Euro spec (ACEA A3/B4)
Junglequac (02-03-17)

Quick Reply: Alternatives to 0W 20 Oil