LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Next-Gen Lexus LS Rumored to Drop V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 10:53 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I6 is long and strong, hahahaha.
Old 11-30-16, 02:59 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I'm agreeing with super & SW15LS on this. And I-6 is optimal for smoothness, simplicity & luxury (feel, performance, robustness). However, from my automotive engineering background, I will add that due to the discussions I was actively involved in (all manner of vehicle planning, but not on the LS, but it's the same direction for the most part), I'm going to go and say that the MAIN decision NOT to use an I-6 versus a V-6 is packaging. It is a space savings (length) to use a V-6 versus I-6. And V-6's can move back further toward the cabin to enhance ride and handling. There may not be a hugely substantial difference in the ride and handling between an exact car with an I-6 versus V-6 (assuming both optimally placed under the hood). But there is a difference. And when shooting for all the best attributes, a V-6 packages better. The hood length can be shortened, etc. Lots of advantages / disadvantages either way. But ultimately, the issue comes down to packaging. This was my observation. If I had my druthers, I would take an I-6 (versus V-6).
I want the hood long and the tail short...that's the recipe for a good-looker'

Good sounding v6's, even though they are not my favorite config. I'll admit they sound beautiful: 350z and the NSX twin turbo v6

Last edited by superdenso; 11-30-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-30-16, 05:05 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats actually not why they use cloth. Tastes in Japan are different than here, and while its changing they actually find velour more luxurious than leather.

Back to the V8, Like I said I don't min d a standard turbo V6, thats the typical setup in the segment nowadays (the LS and the S Class are the only ones left with a standard V8), but there should be a V8 option...especially since they just have that V8 in the LC, GS-F, RC-F lying around.
And again this could be for other markets. Mercedes and BMW sell the S and 7 series in many engine configurations in Europe. You can get them with the 2.0L turbo 4 if you really want or the 2.1L turbo diesel.

Back in the day Mercedes had 4-5 engine options for the S class, at one point S300, SD350, S420, S500 and S600 models were available here. It was in 2000 that the sixes and the diesel were dropped; and the second V8 was dropped in 2007.

Lexus has been able to get away with a V8 because the fuel economy is usually better than the competitors; and because they have Toyota to help them bolster their CAFE standards. So there's no need for a 6 cylinder model. MB and BMW don't have a mass market brand with more efficient engines to help them out so there's an incentive to sell a more fuel efficient model even if the take rate is low. Most of the A8s I see for example are the V8.

That said Mercedes is returning to inline 6 engines after almost 20 years of V6s; maybe Toyota will follow suit? The challenge is that the V6 is good for FWD and RWD while Mercedes only has to support RWD with their 6.

A V8 will be available. Maybe more than one? I've heard rumors of a 4.0L TT V8 from Toyota.
Old 11-30-16, 11:16 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by teedub21
Have you driven a modern twin turbo car? Turbo lag is a thing of the past.
1. YES. MANY.

2. Au contraire. I will say the 3.0tt cadillac's engine's lag is not as overt as others, though it's there...but certainly not as minimized as, say, a Ferrari California T or 488...yet as somebody already said, the best way to mitigate turbo lag is to:

a. add electric motors
or- another option:
b. add supercharging along with the turbos (see Volvo's new pint-sized 4-cyl. drive-E engine as an example)
Old 12-01-16, 01:14 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I could maybe forgive the sin of a twin turbo inline six instead of a V8. I simply love the sound and inherent smoothness with an inline six engine. The 2JZ-GE(no turbos) in my SC300 is just insanely smooth at all rpms, idle, 3000rpm, singing along at the 6400rpm redline, there isn't a single vibration that enters the cabin. For something made in 1992 it is way more refined than any of the 4 cylinder luxury cars on sale now. I also love how some of that great sound from the engine enters the cabin, it isn't obnoxious, but man does that straight six sound glorious, it isn't that v8 NASCAR sound, but the 2JZ sound has its own hum that is kind of hard to describe.

Now a V6, that is just an inherently unbalanced and just "BAD" sounding engine.

Last edited by Aron9000; 12-01-16 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 06:12 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I want the hood long and the tail short...that's the recipe for a good-looker'
I strongly dislike that look. Like a BMW Z3. So fugly!
Old 12-01-16, 06:27 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
And again this could be for other markets. Mercedes and BMW sell the S and 7 series in many engine configurations in Europe. You can get them with the 2.0L turbo 4 if you really want or the 2.1L turbo diesel.

Back in the day Mercedes had 4-5 engine options for the S class, at one point S300, SD350, S420, S500 and S600 models were available here. It was in 2000 that the sixes and the diesel were dropped; and the second V8 was dropped in 2007.

Lexus has been able to get away with a V8 because the fuel economy is usually better than the competitors; and because they have Toyota to help them bolster their CAFE standards. So there's no need for a 6 cylinder model. MB and BMW don't have a mass market brand with more efficient engines to help them out so there's an incentive to sell a more fuel efficient model even if the take rate is low. Most of the A8s I see for example are the V8.

That said Mercedes is returning to inline 6 engines after almost 20 years of V6s; maybe Toyota will follow suit? The challenge is that the V6 is good for FWD and RWD while Mercedes only has to support RWD with their 6.

A V8 will be available. Maybe more than one? I've heard rumors of a 4.0L TT V8 from Toyota.
Actually, in Europe at least, they (and BMW and Audi) still have several choices for engines. Since Americans do not want Diesel or V6s, they wouldn't sell, so not offered...
Old 12-01-16, 09:18 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"We don't like V8 be dropped"
Have we already draw conclusion before we even try the new thing?
Old 12-01-16, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm going to jump on this no-v8 band wagon rumor, if lexus does this (esp. here for the US market), acura will be calling us out for being "hypocrites" for slamming them all these years of having no proper v8 flagship

Originally Posted by Littleguy
I6 is long and strong, hahahaha.
Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I strongly dislike that look. Like a BMW Z3. So fugly!
What's wrong with this look

Old 12-01-16, 10:55 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Yes, we are car people, hahaha. I pretty much agree with the Grand Tour's new not-stig, anything that is not a V8 and rear wheel drive is Communist.
Old 12-01-16, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

We've driven cars with V6s before.
Old 12-01-16, 02:27 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Looks like a BMW Z3 concept rendering.
Old 12-01-16, 03:21 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Make it LS500 V8 TT! F*** the V6 and fuel economy!
Old 12-01-16, 03:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I've owned and driven more V6's than V8's. That is why I want a V8....because I like it better.

As the saying still goes today, "there's no replacement for displacement".

If a V12 option was available for the LS, I'd get that!
Old 12-01-16, 03:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm going to jump on this no-v8 band wagon rumor, if lexus does this (esp. here for the US market), acura will be calling us out for being "hypocrites" for slamming them all these years of having no proper v8 flagship

A ambiguously gay duo reference.

Back when SNL used to funny.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus LS Rumored to Drop V8