LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My Front Control Arms and Shocks Replacement

Old 11-26-16, 08:46 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I received my lower control arms from Rock Auto today. They look good. I have previously stated that my right front strut has been changed (looks new) and has a KYB sticker on it. The left looks original but works fine. I might as well change it now so I just ordered a single KYB on Amazon for $100 to complete the set. My previous owner only went to the dealer so I'm figuring the lot that sold me the car replaced the one strut that was probably leaking. As for the 2 new struts for $70 I'm not convinced that is the best idea. Who knows? I would be more inclined to spend the $200 and get the KYB's.
Old 12-03-16, 09:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

This is what I have so far. Mixture of Mevotech and MAS parts. Just waiting on the lower ball joints. You can see the shocks in the rear of the photo. I've just ordered the rear shocks for 72 bucks/pr. When I get the ball joints in the next few days, I'll just need some dry weather to start the job. No garage to work in lol.
Old 12-04-16, 05:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

This is what I have so far. Mixture of Mevotech and MAS parts. Just waiting on the lower ball joints. You can see the shocks in the rear of the photo. I've just ordered the rear shocks for 72 bucks/pr. When I get the ball joints in the next few days, I'll just need some dry weather to start the job. No garage to work in lol.
You planning on taking the struts to a shop to have them install the springs on those shocks? Unless you have the proper tools to do that at home, you better be real careful...people get seriously injured working with strut springs.
Old 12-04-16, 09:11 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Be safe
Originally Posted by Doublebase
You planning on taking the struts to a shop to have them install the springs on those shocks? Unless you have the proper tools to do that at home, you better be real careful...people get seriously injured working with strut springs.
Old 12-04-16, 02:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yep....doing it myself. Done it many times before on Acura's etc. Fortunately, my local Canadian Tire has a free loan-a-tool program, including spring compressors.
Old 12-06-16, 11:23 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All so new and shiny! Good luck with your weather! My four uppers come in tomorrow. I will tackle them this weekend before another Vegas trip next weekend.
Old 12-06-16, 08:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR6RR
All so new and shiny! Good luck with your weather! My four uppers come in tomorrow. I will tackle them this weekend before another Vegas trip next weekend.
Yeah...weather isn't co-operating. We are getting a rare cold snap here....couple degrees below freezing and potentially an inch or two of snow (which is very rare). Might have to wait a week or so til weather normalizes.

Ball joints arrived today. Seem like good quality, even though they're made in Taiwan. Lets face it...most parts are.
Old 02-09-17, 02:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

All done. Just picked the car up this morning. They replaced my shocks and all of my front control arms as well as the ball joints. Total labor cost was 800 bucks including a wheel alignment AND a complete charging system check (had a weak battery). So I figure the actual cost of doing the control arms and ball joints was 500 bucks.

So how does it drive? Wonderful. The biggest noticeable difference was how tight everything feels. The steering has no slop/play whatsoever. Awesome.

Interestingly, the tech that worked on my car said that the only parts that looked worn was the one ball joint and the control arm bushing attached to it. He agreed with my reasoning of replacing everything since they were already "in the area", but that if it were him, he wouldn't have. When I told him what I paid for all the parts, he grinned and said, "great deal". So in effect, my control arms were fine despite the reputation the LS has for control arm failures. Keeping in mind that I have 130k miles on my car. VERY happy.
The following users liked this post:
MrGTR (06-02-19)
Old 02-09-17, 04:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
All done. Just picked the car up this morning. They replaced my shocks and all of my front control arms as well as the ball joints. Total labor cost was 800 bucks including a wheel alignment AND a complete charging system check (had a weak battery). So I figure the actual cost of doing the control arms and ball joints was 500 bucks.

So how does it drive? Wonderful. The biggest noticeable difference was how tight everything feels. The steering has no slop/play whatsoever. Awesome.

Interestingly, the tech that worked on my car said that the only parts that looked worn was the one ball joint and the control arm bushing attached to it. He agreed with my reasoning of replacing everything since they were already "in the area", but that if it were him, he wouldn't have. When I told him what I paid for all the parts, he grinned and said, "great deal". So in effect, my control arms were fine despite the reputation the LS has for control arm failures. Keeping in mind that I have 130k miles on my car. VERY happy.
Good to hear!

Im having a little LS460 blues...I haven't driven the thing in four days because of weather...I have been driving my truck, which is nice but it's no LS. Almost rear ended someone the other day because I forgot that the thing can't stop like the 460.

Now that you've had your front suspension replaced you should have yourself a good 100,000 miles or more of trouble free driving.
Old 02-09-17, 07:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Now that you've had your front suspension replaced you should have yourself a good 100,000 miles or more of trouble free driving.
I truly believe that's possible. The only thing that might prevent that from happening, is a newer LS, or a G90! LOL Seriously though, about the only issues i see are maybe a starter or alternator? Maybe an O2 sensor or wheel bearing? These cars are freakin' ridiculously reliable. I LOVE this car!
Old 02-10-17, 03:31 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you get pictures of the old lower arms? I checked mine today during a oil change. Looking beat up.
Old 02-10-17, 03:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Did you get pictures of the old lower arms? I checked mine today during a oil change. Looking beat up.
No I didn't. I did look at them before he disposed of them. They did'nt look beat up though..