LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A tale of two parking brake modules and 1k.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 06:31 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A tale of two parking brake modules and 1k.

It was the best of times, it was the worse of times. I'll make this quick. A month ago, I got the check parking brake message asking me to take it to the dealer. Parking was not engaged but stopped working altogether. I scanned the car with a carista module and got code: U0128 - Lost Communication With Park Brake Control Module. Did some reading and it could have been the ECU module, parking brake actuator or both. The ECU from the dealer was $800 and $600 online new. Of course not returnable if it did not fix the problem. Went on eBay and bought a used module for $230. Put it in and still the same code. Took it for toyota (for convenience while traveling) and they said they could not communicate with the module and I would need a new one. Contacted eBay seller for refund and he offered to send another module. Meanwhile, I went online and bought a miniVC cable and Toyota TIS/techstream software for $20 to be able to program my own module. Popped in the replacement module #2 and TIS recognized it! I was able to follow TIS service bulletin I found online to reset the memory on the module. I was concerned about setting the zero point calibration but it was needed. Error light went away, and parking brake including hold function is working as before.

I am guessing dealer would be 800+300 labor+ tax and I paid $230 for module and $70 for an hour of Toyota not diagnosing anything. Savings of around 1k!

Here is a picture of all 3 modules together.

Last edited by leonrojo18; 11-21-16 at 06:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by leonrojo18:
Kennjo (01-29-24), stopdrpnro (02-17-20)
Old 11-22-16, 08:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Good work! Reading your post I felt some of the ups and downs you must have experienced as you progressed through your issue. Been there done that. Glad all is well again!
The following users liked this post:
stopdrpnro (02-17-20)
Old 07-11-18, 03:19 PM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you leonrojo18. I am currently experiencing the same issue. Did you replace the module located in the trunk, just behind the drivers side wheel well?
stopdrpnro (02-17-20)
Old 07-11-18, 03:35 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks for sharing, these are good things to keep an eye out for

By any chance do you use the automatic parking brake regularly? Set your parking brake every time you get out of the vehicle?

EDIT: Dammit, didn't realize this was a 2 year old post
stopdrpnro (02-17-20)
Old 07-12-18, 07:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by JOEYD2008
Thank you leonrojo18. I am currently experiencing the same issue. Did you replace the module located in the trunk, just behind the drivers side wheel well?
I'm pretty sure that's the one in the left side of the trunk.
Old 07-13-18, 12:55 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
It was the best of times, it was the worse of times. I'll make this quick. A month ago, I got the check parking brake message asking me to take it to the dealer. Parking was not engaged but stopped working altogether. I scanned the car with a carista module and got code: U0128 - Lost Communication With Park Brake Control Module. Did some reading and it could have been the ECU module, parking brake actuator or both. The ECU from the dealer was $800 and $600 online new. Of course not returnable if it did not fix the problem. Went on eBay and bought a used module for $230. Put it in and still the same code. Took it for toyota (for convenience while traveling) and they said they could not communicate with the module and I would need a new one. Contacted eBay seller for refund and he offered to send another module. Meanwhile, I went online and bought a miniVC cable and Toyota TIS/techstream software for $20 to be able to program my own module. Popped in the replacement module #2 and TIS recognized it! I was able to follow TIS service bulletin I found online to reset the memory on the module. I was concerned about setting the zero point calibration but it was needed. Error light went away, and parking brake including hold function is working as before.

I am guessing dealer would be 800+300 labor+ tax and I paid $230 for module and $70 for an hour of Toyota not diagnosing anything. Savings of around 1k!

Here is a picture of all 3 modules together.

"Contacted eBay seller for refund and he offered to send another module. Meanwhile, I went online and bought a miniVC cable and Toyota TIS/techstream software for $20 to be able to program my own module. Popped in the replacement module #2 and TIS recognized it! I was able to follow TIS service bulletin I found online to reset the memory on the module. "

So you can have full access to whatever toyota can program and do with this cable and techstream could you share where you bought this? mini vic is basically the ODB port? So works with windows PC and you can get this going? Would appreciate some details on what can be done with this because someone mentioned using techstream to bleed the brakes etc..
Old 07-13-18, 02:15 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

jdanielca do a quick Youtube search on "Techstream" and watch a few videos of owners demonstrating what it can do, and search TechStream in the forum to read even more about it. There are soooo many things you can do with it, it would take a lot of typing by one person to list all of the things that it can do. Much easier to just spend a few minutes searching a reading to get a thorough understanding of what you can do with it.

In short, yes... you can almost do everything (vehicle software & system/sensor related) that a dealership can do with the TechStream software.
jdanielca (07-14-18)
Old 07-14-18, 02:06 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
jdanielca do a quick Youtube search on "Techstream" and watch a few videos of owners demonstrating what it can do, and search TechStream in the forum to read even more about it. There are soooo many things you can do with it, it would take a lot of typing by one person to list all of the things that it can do. Much easier to just spend a few minutes searching a reading to get a thorough understanding of what you can do with it.

In short, yes... you can almost do everything (vehicle software & system/sensor related) that a dealership can do with the TechStream software.
so metric is a go then?
Old 08-06-18, 11:47 AM
JOEYD2008
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Experiencing the same issue except ....

Hello all,I am experiencing the same issue. My dash was lighting up like a Christmas tree and there was a constant ringing sound. I purchased the Techstream software and mini cable and the 2nd pic represents the codes that appeared. I then proceeded as follows;
1. Purchased, from Ebay, a used parking brake ecm (the parking brake is located in the trunk, just behind the drivers side wheel well)
2. I disconnected the negative battery cable (wait 90 seconds or more before proceeding)
3. Removed (2) 10 mm nuts holding the parking brake ecm and disconnected the wiring harness from the ecm.
4. Installed the replacement ecm and connected the negative battery
5. Connected the mini cable, fired up the Techstream and reset the parking brake ecm

The 1st pic represents what appeared on the Techstream after the ecm replacement.The good news is the constant ringing notification is no longer present and there is one light illuminated on the dash (the parking brake) along with a message to check the parking brake. The bad news is that the parking brake still does not work. I can drive the vehicle. I just don’t have use of the parking brake. Questions/thoughts based on the single remaining code;

1. Did I miss a step after installing the replacement ecm – I have read where you have to recalibrate the parking brake. I have a Mitchell repair manual and cannot find any information on this.
2. Can the issue be the actual parking brake switch, located below the right side of the steering wheel, that is causing the open circuit (per the code explanation)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and/or suggestions

Last edited by JOEYD2008; 08-06-18 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Explanation of pics
Old 08-28-19, 08:18 PM
TampaLS600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a used 89050-50010 ( Parking Brake Control Module ) from ebay that was in perfect shape. Changed it out and fired up Techstream, Performed reset of EPB and still Parking brake not 100%. It will engage ( Lock Up the rear wheels ) but will not disengage. This leads me to believe that the 46300-50011 ( Park Brake Actuator ) located above the rear diff is good and not the issue since it DOES work. Codes i am currently getting are C13A6 and C13A7 both related to EPB malfunction. One of them is in regards to a Open or Short Circuit in Motor (C13A6). Any insight on what i should do next ?

Also, The only thing i did was clear the codes and reset the EPC with Techstream, I did NOT run Zero Point Calibration. Could ZPC be the issue why my EPB engages, but does not dis-engage ( release ) . I can release it manually through the trunk access port under the spare tire by turning it a few turns counter-clockwise. Is there a relay for the EPB that could be faulty ?

Old 08-29-19, 05:36 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

I think the error, if the description is accurate, is self-explanatory. An open or short in a motor will prevent the motor from functioning because it's a failure in the motor wiring. That part is internal to the motor itself.
So you changed the parking brake control computer, but not the motor..? Just because it will engage but not disengage, does not mean that the motor is good.. its like a window that will only go down but not up, it should have coil windings for both the engagement and disengagement function.
Old 08-29-19, 03:17 PM
TampaLS600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes only replaced module in the Trunk. Not the parking brake actuator under the car that requires removal of entire rear suspension and subframe.
Old 02-13-20, 12:16 AM
ej3ffrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this problem and was seeing if any of you were able to fix it. I ordered the part and haven't installed it yet. I plan on trying to install the replacement part without using tech stream and seeing if the code will clear itself. Also, reading some of your problems, did you guys replace the fuse that was probably blown from this? It's a 30amp fuse that is behind the drivers wheel well.
Old 02-14-20, 07:26 PM
ej3ffrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update

Installed the part and it started working and it cleared the code (without tech stream)... initially. I noticed that the auto parking brake light wasn't working and I wasn't able to turn it on, but the parking brake could manually be engaged/disengaged. I did a test drive and got the parking brake warning again, I'm guessing it's due to the auto parking brake not working. So I'm guessing the memory needs to be reset using tech stream. So I will buy one off amazon or eBay and report back.
Kennjo (01-29-24)