LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Your thoughts - 16 Chevy SS vs 13 LS460 vs 10 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 12:01 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Your thoughts - 16 Chevy SS vs 13 LS460 vs 10 LS460

I currently own, and am happy with a 2010 LS460. Re-did my control arms about 18 months ago, I suspect brake actuator is next but not bothering me enough just yet to do anything about it.

ANYWAY with my itchy fingers and Autotrader app, I've found in the ~$45k price range
2013 LS460 ~40k miles
2015 CPO Chevy SS & a new 2016 Chevy SS (both auto).

I love the luxurious glide of the 2010 LS460, have test driven the 2013 to like it but curious for those who have moved from a prev-gen LS460 to a 13+, if you notice a big difference (comfort, soundproof, driving feel etc.)? I personally like the upgraded electronics, haven't played around with the joystick much to get used to it, and intrigued by the 2013 LS460 FSport. BTW I'm not up to date as I should, but 13+ LS460's don't have any significant issues I should be aware of, right? Is the air suspension on a 2013 a concern?

The Chevy SS is obviously not held in the same regard, again just curious if any of you have driven it? I love it because my wife thinks it's a Malibu, it is one heck of a sleeper car with a 6.2L LS V8....too bad it's auto but with the end of the year, Chevy has a big glut of these automatics on the lot.

Anyway, open to your thoughts, suggestions. My wife will 90% ensure I keep my 2010 LS460, but I'm trying to plan the 10% chance she says "maybe". =)

Last edited by Wandl; 11-13-16 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 01:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I realize looks are subjective, but the Chevy SS is just plain ugly (my opinion of course). It just looks like a cheap collection of bargain bin leftover parts from GM - which there are many - with a big V8 dropped in. The interior looks cheap and plasticky - which you'd expect - but GM has made efforts to improve those aspects, yet it looks like they didn't bother with this car. I haven't driven one but I have driven a Pontiac G8...I imagine it's very similar...why not buy one of them? It's fast and responsive...small car that you can toss around...same concept. The last time I looked used G8's were going for 24k, and that was three years ago...they're probably much cheaper now.

I'd buy the 2013 LS, in my opinion they look better inside and out compared to the earlier models, plus all the bugs have been ironed out. Beautiful reliable car.
Old 11-13-16, 02:36 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny, I traded in my 2015 SS on my 2011 LS460. Loved the SS, but for some reason my wife and son didn't like it. Mine was a 6 speed manual, which is pretty rare. They are way more sporty to drive than the LS, they feel very tight and remind me of my past bmw's. fun thing about the SS is it will leave many performance cars wondering what just happened to them. No one knows what they are, very rare car that hauls *** " under the radar".

The LS is a much larger more comfortable car that is no slouch off the line and gets better gas mileage than the SS.

One place the SS beats my 2011 LS is technology. The SS has heads up display, better infotainment system, same mag ride suspension used on corvettes and by Ferrari, lane departure. Everything you can imagine except homelink. Seriously. I guess they don't use garage door openers in Australia or something.

I do do miss my SS, they sound awesome and are pretty rare, but the LS is insanely comfortable and more relaxing to drive.
Old 11-13-16, 03:39 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the input! I did try a Pontiac GTO (2 door wife xnayed) and have not been able to find the right G8, but read it is pretty stiff riding. The SS with the magnaride did improve it, loved the throaty v8 and unsuspecting look. I absolutely enjoyed driving both the SS and 13 LS460; I think for the same money it seems the LS would be a better bet.

Not that I've been able to distinguish a big difference but a surprising big amount of 13/14 LS models do not come with ML. Found a nice F-Sport 13 just a little hesitant on its air suspension longetivity...
Old 11-13-16, 03:41 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Tough call, especially if you love American muscle (I do). But I'd still have to lean in the direction of either keeping your '10 or going for the '13 LS. I have a '13 and as much as I do love it, I think I'd be just as happy with 10-12' LS. My priorities in no particular order are good looks, a smooth ride, ample/decent power, plus dependability and quality. I've driven the SS and while that V8 is sweet, it only checked one box for me; plus I felt a tad bit cramped inside and the build quality was disappointing. But beyond that, the SS is a cool and unique car. The one American car that would steal my heart is a CTS-V wagon. I'd be all over it in a heartbeat if I didn't live in the Midwest! Either way, good luck to you.

Last edited by droclex; 11-13-16 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 04:02 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Hold out for one with Mark Levinson, well worth it.
Old 11-13-16, 04:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by teedub21
Funny, I traded in my 2015 SS on my 2011 LS460. Loved the SS, but for some reason my wife and son didn't like it. Mine was a 6 speed manual, which is pretty rare. They are way more sporty to drive than the LS, they feel very tight and remind me of my past bmw's. fun thing about the SS is it will leave many performance cars wondering what just happened to them. No one knows what they are, very rare car that hauls *** " under the radar".

The LS is a much larger more comfortable car that is no slouch off the line and gets better gas mileage than the SS.

One place the SS beats my 2011 LS is technology. The SS has heads up display, better infotainment system, same mag ride suspension used on corvettes and by Ferrari, lane departure. Everything you can imagine except homelink. Seriously. I guess they don't use garage door openers in Australia or something.

I do do miss my SS, they sound awesome and are pretty rare, but the LS is insanely comfortable and more relaxing to drive.
6spd SS's are super rare I like the sleeper status of the SS.
Old 11-14-16, 09:44 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Check this out - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...kage-6spd.html

It's the best of both worlds - Chevy SS but with Holden body parts. I always thought the Holden looked so much better than what GM gave us here in the US.
Old 11-14-16, 11:13 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice is don't try to find one car that does everything well...it doesn't exist---I tried with a BMW several years ago.

You want premium luxury, the LS460 is the best value out there.

You want sporty and fun, the LS460 ain't it.

If I were you, I'd keep your '10 LS and go find a fun car that fits your budget. What a great time to be car guy, there's simply a million options out there!
Old 11-14-16, 11:38 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
My advice is don't try to find one car that does everything well...it doesn't exist---I tried with a BMW several years ago.

You want premium luxury, the LS460 is the best value out there.

You want sporty and fun, the LS460 ain't it.

If I were you, I'd keep your '10 LS and go find a fun car that fits your budget. What a great time to be car guy, there's simply a million options out there!
Yes. I agree

I like cars ride like queen's car. Don't feel any road bump, road imperfection and at the same time stable and not floaty.
Old 11-14-16, 06:12 PM
mattchk
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to echo those opting for the 2010 LS. I traded my 2008 on a 2013 and while I absolutely love the new car, I think I'd have been happier with keeping the 2008 and purchasing a second, sporty vehicle. My 2008 was also noble spinel red mica with alabaster interior and I'm still bitter.
Old 11-17-16, 04:28 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

This comparison is unjustifiable, one is a premium full size luxury sedan , and the is just a sedan.
Old 11-17-16, 05:10 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
This comparison is unjustifiable, one is a premium full size luxury sedan , and the is just a sedan.
The SS is definitely not on same level as LS as far as refinement etc....but I won't say it's just a sedan either. I like the package it offers as far as power and options. I actually like how compact it is and how it blends in having a 6.2L V8 with available 6spd manual if you can find one. All depends what you're looking for in a Sedan.
Old 11-17-16, 11:47 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
The SS is definitely not on same level as LS as far as refinement etc....but I won't say it's just a sedan either. I like the package it offers as far as power and options. I actually like how compact it is and how it blends in having a 6.2L V8 with available 6spd manual if you can find one. All depends what you're looking for in a Sedan.
they're great cars. Enjoyed mine. In all honesty the trunk of the SS is larger than the LS460. Pretty nice interior as well. Can't compare it to a Malibu, so much nicer. Keep in mind the SS is built by Holden in Australia, not by GM in the US or Mexico. The SS has a very European feel and the quality feels way better than standard GM fare.
Old 11-22-16, 12:38 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

When I was shopping cars, the SS was in the mix...along with a 2006-2008 Jaaaaaag XJ Super V8, the 2003-2005 Mercedes CL55 AMG, along with a couple of others.

I liked all three of the above very much, with the Jaaaaag and Mercedes hammering on each other. I was shooting for at least 400 HP in a large luxury car.

Drove the LS, it won me over in under ten minutes. Honestly, this took me completely by surprise, as I went in not wanting to like it because it's "slow"*.

The SS is nice, but it's a bit small. The LS is limosine-level comfy and it's not a performance slouch.

I catch people off-guard with the LS at times because they do not expect a land-yacht to be this quick.

* 'slow' is relative. I mean, this is a rather quick car for even, say, Y2K.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts - 16 Chevy SS vs 13 LS460 vs 10 LS460