LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Issue with electronic parking brake

Old 11-10-16, 03:16 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Issue with electronic parking brake

A week ago, I got a light.message says the electronic parking is not working and to take the care for service. The car drives fine. The parking brake cannot be engaged or auto activated. We read the codes and it showed that the parking brake ECU cannot be contacted. I purchased a used module on ebay and it still says it cannot be read. I made an appointment at the Toyota dealer close by.

Do you think it has to be programmed to the car or is something else going on?
The following users liked this post:
Justus4rt1 (05-18-20)
Old 11-10-16, 03:20 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There's loads that needs to be done. Factory manual will help.
Old 11-10-16, 03:24 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
There's loads that needs to be done. Factory manual will help.
Factory manual said to see the dealer. Can you specify what you meant by "loads to be done?"
Old 02-04-17, 04:16 PM
Ccigator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leonrojo18, what happened with your parking brake issues? I've encountered the same thing and bought the module on eBay as well. When I installed it I had the blinking parking brake light on and the constant chiming so I disconnected it and am hoping you are going to tell me you had to have it programmed at the dealership. I'd hate to think I wasted $125 on the parking brake module. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-17, 08:07 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ccigator
Leonrojo18, what happened with your parking brake issues? I've encountered the same thing and bought the module on eBay as well. When I installed it I had the blinking parking brake light on and the constant chiming so I disconnected it and am hoping you are going to tell me you had to have it programmed at the dealership. I'd hate to think I wasted $125 on the parking brake module. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
I fixed it myself using tech stream software and cable from amazon. I had to reprogram it after installation. There is an option in the software to reset the module because you will see an error code after you swap it out. before swapping, the error code said that it could not communicate with the parking brake module. After the module switch, it was a different code and I was able to reset the module. After resetting, there is a procedure to set the zero point. You can Google all these procedures. You could do all this or take it to the dealer for programming.
Old 02-04-17, 09:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
I fixed it myself using tech stream software and cable from amazon. I had to reprogram it after installation. There is an option in the software to reset the module because you will see an error code after you swap it out. before swapping, the error code said that it could not communicate with the parking brake module. After the module switch, it was a different code and I was able to reset the module. After resetting, there is a procedure to set the zero point. You can Google all these procedures. You could do all this or take it to the dealer for programming.
Well done and glad it worked out! This kind of information can be invaluable to members here. Thanks for posting a follow up!
Old 02-05-17, 05:42 AM
Ccigator
Driver School Candidate

I cannot thank you enough for your most helpful response. I will go to amazon and order the tech stream software and cable. I don't have a scanner but can probably get my hands on one if I need one. Is there a certain software number or model that you ordered? And I agree with roadfrog above, this kind of info is so important to us do it yourselfers. Ive had this module for months just waiting for someone who had a similar experience to post the proper fix. Kudos to you my friend. I will anxiously await your response.
Old 02-05-17, 11:00 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Procedure is described with pictures in a factory manual (as i said previously). Not in a 'user' manual...
Of course the unit needs to be paired, calibrated, then parking shoe bedding-in procedure (somewhat automated, mistakenly called 'zero point') must be performed.

[napoleon dynamite's voice] ugh! amateurs! [/]
Old 02-05-17, 11:17 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the Techstream software on Amazon?
Old 02-05-17, 04:17 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Procedure is described with pictures in a factory manual (as i said previously). Not in a 'user' manual...
Of course the unit needs to be paired, calibrated, then parking shoe bedding-in procedure (somewhat automated, mistakenly called 'zero point') must be performed.

[napoleon dynamite's voice] ugh! amateurs! [/]
To clarify this post, on my car, I only had to reset the error code after swapping modules, and then calibrate using the software. This was a two task procedure, not a three task procedure. And to clarify, all of this is done in the software for my car, because the error was in the electronic ecu not the actual parking brake module itself. Before replacing the module in my car, I used a scan tool which said it was the ecu. The cable and software bought from Amazon came as a set for $25. This is the same software that's the dealership uses; though, perhaps an older edition. I bought it from a seller named kkmoon and it appears out of stock with him. There are other seller selling it but I'm not sure if it comes with tech stream software. The cable is the mini vci series for Toyota/lexus.
Old 02-05-17, 04:20 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Old 02-06-17, 04:47 AM
Ccigator
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed response. Im really glad to hear that it was indeed a reset process and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond. It was exactly the info Ive been looking for.
Old 02-06-17, 06:51 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Using a techstream(it2/3) without a factory manual - asking for trouble. Amateurs...