LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus factory extended warranty at 100k

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 06:50 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus factory extended warranty at 100k

Still possible to buy it on an '07 with 104k miles?
Old 11-02-16, 07:52 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not a Lexus factory one. Only options would be aftermarket.
Old 11-03-16, 12:50 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you need one?
Old 11-04-16, 08:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Do you need one?
Exactly. I certainly wouldn't be getting one. I know it's a hot topic, but I have come out FAR more ahead without warranties than if I had bought them, especially with my LS. Now with my previous BMW's... that's a different story maybe, but no one offered warranties for them because they knew better. LOL.
Old 11-04-16, 12:18 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Exactly. I certainly wouldn't be getting one. I know it's a hot topic, but I have come out FAR more ahead without warranties than if I had bought them, especially with my LS. Now with my previous BMW's... that's a different story maybe, but no one offered warranties for them because they knew better. LOL.
You don't need is because you have tools and handy. You only pays cost of parts
Old 11-04-16, 01:44 PM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. I certainly wouldn't be getting one. I know it's a hot topic, but I have come out FAR more ahead without warranties than if I had bought them, especially with my LS.
While the LS is more reliable than other cars, the repairs can be extremely costly. My 2010 LS460 is at the dealership right now, getting control arms replaced, a coolant leak fixed, a leaking shock replaced, and the NAV system replaced. Total cost is well over $8000, but THANK GOODNESS I splurged for the extended CPO warranty for $1800. I bought it thinking that just having the peace of mind alone would be worth it, but in the end I came out way ahead of the game. And I still have 1 more year on the warranty to go.
Old 11-04-16, 04:05 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shinbob
While the LS is more reliable than other cars, the repairs can be extremely costly. My 2010 LS460 is at the dealership right now, getting control arms replaced, a coolant leak fixed, a leaking shock replaced, and the NAV system replaced. Total cost is well over $8000, but THANK GOODNESS I splurged for the extended CPO warranty for $1800. I bought it thinking that just having the peace of mind alone would be worth it, but in the end I came out way ahead of the game. And I still have 1 more year on the warranty to go.
lucky you are in US and Lexus offer platinum extended warranty. I am in Canada and I can only get gold extended warranty. So I won't get covered if anything issue related to entertainment like audio or nav system

i also need to replace my seeping struts under the warranty at 60k
Old 11-04-16, 04:08 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Lexus warranty is better than third party one. I bought a third party one for my rx350. It cover control arm but not struts
Old 11-04-16, 07:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

You don't need is because you have tools and handy. You only pays cost of parts
Uhhh no. As I stated in my post, my LS is so reliable, that a warranty would have been wasted expense.My only repair that would have been covered is a water pump. Even at Lexus's exorbitant prices, would have only set me back 3 or 4 hundred dollars. 115k miles and thats the only repair I've needed other than mufflers.

But Lexus will gladly take your money knowing you likely won't need it.
Old 11-05-16, 04:43 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

This is probably one of the most debated subjects on here, personally I would have wasted money on a warranty if I had purchased one. I was given that option when I bought mine...I think the guy offered me a one or a two year warranty...$1,000 per year. My car had 73,000 miles when I purchased it from a shop that specialized in Lexus vehicles (the owner was a former Lexus tech, along with his coworkers). I asked the guy flat out...do I need the warranty? He said probably not. Then I asked him...is this a car I can work on myself because I don't want something I can't work on, he said I'd have no trouble working on it. He was honest with me...he installed a new battery and threw on a couple tires, put a inspection sticker on it and I was off.

Three years and around 70,000 miles later, I've had to dump $600 into it for a wheel bearing and control arms. I did that repair in my garage during a snowy day last December...took me maybe five hours. So far so good. But I understand that some can't work on their cars - or want to - and I understand some people only like taking their cars to the dealer. So yeah I'd get a warranty if I was one of those people.
Old 11-05-16, 08:59 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

My 11' 460 already has 3 extended warranty when I bought. So anytime there is a repair, that is a direct deduction from the price I bought

i bought my 06 430 in 2011 with 5 years warranty for extra $4000. I think I make it even over 5 years
Old 11-05-16, 10:50 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shinbob
Interesting you just posted this. Mine will be in the shop next week for control arms and leaking air suspension. Dealership said about $9,000 worth. Thank goodness I have an extended warranty. I have already had approximately $5,000 worth of work done in the past 4 years. I have a 2010 LS 460 L with about 106,000 miles. I have 2 years or until 125,000 miles left on my warranty. Looking for options after that. Dealer wants to sell me a newer model. Hmmm...I would have to sink another $10,000 into a car.
Old 11-05-16, 10:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Repairs can be costly ONLY if you choose to allow it. As stated many times throughout CL, doing business with the dealership will cost big. A good example as stated by Doublebase, is the repairs mentioned by Pmiller above. Control arms can be done for 750 dollars inc parts and labor by an indy. Air shock replacement on all four corners can be done for about 1500 dollars all in...again by an indy.
Old 11-05-16, 11:55 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Repairs can be costly ONLY if you choose to allow it. As stated many times throughout CL, doing business with the dealership will cost big. A good example as stated by Doublebase, is the repairs mentioned by Pmiller above. Control arms can be done for 750 dollars inc parts and labor by an indy. Air shock replacement on all four corners can be done for about 1500 dollars all in...again by an indy.
Being under warranty, I deal with the dealership. I will check into a local indy as I consider whether to keep my LS or trade. It seems silly to trade in for basically the same car. So, I am leaning toward keeping it and doing the repairs myself or using an indy once the warranty runs out. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-05-16, 12:14 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

$1500 to replace all 4 air suspension includes parts and labor?
i know the boss of one of my local Toyota dealer bought new 430 ultra premium for himselfin 2004. He has lots of fancy cars like RR and Bentley. When the air suspension of 430 is out on him in 2011, even he choose not to buy new air suspension and change to non-aired one

Quick Reply: Lexus factory extended warranty at 100k