LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New to me 600hl

Old 10-31-16, 08:24 PM
jspeaect
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 600hl

Just bought a first year 600h L. I have my reservations about the hybrid system and such, just couldn't settle for less. I don't have possession of it yet, but it is a super low mileage, fully equipped example that was at my price point. Starfire Pearl with Cashmere interior, Executive Class Seating Package, Dynamic Radar Cruise, nearly new tires, and 14,000 miles. Anything you pros would recommend be done to a low mile specimen like this?
Old 10-31-16, 08:34 PM
jspeaect
Driver School Candidate

I am purchasing from a Lincoln dealer. When I spoke to the salesman and had him look it over for me and take it for a drive, I had to grin at his reaction. After having taken it out for a drive, he said he had just gone through Lincoln's sales training for the new Continental. He had never been in or driven an LS and was blown away and couldn't believe how good it was compared to the 9 year newer Continental. He thought this decade old LS blew the Lincoln away. (Maybe he just wanted to make a sale!)

Last edited by jspeaect; 10-31-16 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 09:36 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

He should be blown away becuase this car is over 120k when it was new lol. If they sell aftermarket extended warranty I suggest you buy it. It'll pay for itself once you run into any problem.
Old 11-01-16, 05:01 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a buyers guide, but I'll list a few concerns: control arms and signs of brake warp (pulsing feeling in the brake pedal while stopping). Though the car was $120k, the maintenance and repairs are reasonable. Enjoy every minute of your new ride...Very Nice!
Old 11-01-16, 05:15 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Low mileage, well cared for and in your price range so don't let this one get away.
Old 11-01-16, 06:00 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I understand your reservation with an older hybrid. CJitty has a write-up on his experience https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rid-story.html. I don't know if they have them but if you can get a warranty that covers the hybrid system that would be great. Aside from that, the car looks great. Fantastic options. Keep a look out for the control arms, brake actuator and melting interior (although this may not be an issue).

Last edited by DarKnight; 11-01-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 07:49 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How come 07 car only has 14k miles.? Does the previous owner treat it like furniture?

8k to replace the battery. will time wear out the battery too?
Old 11-01-16, 08:08 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I saw that car on car gurus! its really clean. if you don't mind me asking, did they budge on the price at all? its such a low mileage car its like buying a brand new one and it has the executive seats!
Old 11-01-16, 08:08 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

That's an amazing car that you will truly enjoy! I personally feel the battery issues (while certainly a risk) have been blown out of proportion to the real-world experiences of most 600hL owners. I also own a 2008 600hL, and wouldn't trade it for any car on the road today. The one you found is truly a "Unicorn" car, with amazing miles and beautiful condition. Do you mind sharing what you paid for the car?

You may experience wind noise (fairly easy fix as described in detail on this Forum), front control arm failure (not too expensive to repair using aftermarket parts and a good independent shop), and potential air suspension problems (but maybe not, since the car has so few miles). You should be prepared to spend some money on these issues if they crop up, safe in the knowledge that you're driving a $120K car for WAY less than that (I'm assuming).

Congrats!
Old 11-01-16, 09:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Beautiful car in immaculate condition! Huge congrats on that acquisition.
As a few others have stated, I would search for and obtain a warranty.
riknchar, CJITTY and caha14 would be fantastic members to speak with regarding specific questions you may have to the 600, as rik and caha14 own one, and CJITTY recently sold his.
Good luck and congrats! Beautiful LS!
Old 11-01-16, 10:12 AM
jspeaect
Driver School Candidate

I am super excited! Switched gears at the last minute when this one came up. I had money down on a 09 Pebble Beach edition with 30k on it, but there were a few little things that made me nervous after reviewing its service history along with the visible wear that seems to come with the Alabaster leather and a few minor paint issues. Stepped back a year but also less than half the miles and less $. For those that were curious, I ended up paying close to asking price with them coming down to $33,740 plus their fees bringing it to $34,000 out the door - still about $4k under NADA average with given miles and equipment. There are much cheaper ones out there, but none comparable to this one in miles and equipment. It's service history is very clean with just a battery replacement being the only warranty claim, which brings me to my next dilemma - to warrant or not to warrant - and through who? Been looking at some warranty options...not seeing anything for hybrid coverage, but not too worried about it. Warranty Direct's "Premier Advantage" seems to be pretty comprehensive. Could do 60 Months/75,000 miles with emissions and luxury electronics options and a $100 deductible for $3,181 or go for less time and miles, say a 36 Month/36,000 mile with emissions/electronics/$100 deductible for $2527. Granted doing the math, the longer plan is a much better deal; however, I don't keep vehicles very long and most likely will have this car for a year or so and put on 10,000 miles. The warranty; however, is transferable to a new owner for $50. It may be worth it in resale value to go with the long term contract. What do you guys think?...or do I need one at all?

As to why does it only have 14,000 miles...who knows? Some people drive a lot, some drive a little. In the past year I have bought a 2009 CTS-V with 178 miles (yes, under 200 miles) and a 2004 Seville STS with 9000 miles. Also sold a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood with 24,000 miles...anyway they're out there...just not a lot of them. (The CTS-V is for sale by the way!)

Riknchar - I see you are in Nebraska...I'm in Pierre, SD and will need to come to Lincoln or Omaha if I need to visit a Lexus dealer. Do you recommend one over another?
Old 11-01-16, 10:13 AM
jspeaect
Driver School Candidate

Question - from what I gather the LS's didn't have auto dimming headlamps until 2010. Is that correct?
Old 11-01-16, 10:49 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jspeaect
Question - from what I gather the LS's didn't have auto dimming headlamps until 2010. Is that correct?
Correct. It was standard on long-wheelbase cars; not 100% sure if it could be had as an option on SWB 460, but vaguely recall seeing it as part of an option package.

Congratulations! The car looks great, and I am sure you will enjoy it. To boot, it has fewer miles than mine (at 15k now, though I bought at 9.7k)
Old 11-01-16, 10:50 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually you'll get a refund of the difference if you sell or trade the car before the warranty is expire. If you're selling privately the extended warranty is a plus for buyers.
Old 11-01-16, 01:40 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jspeaect
Riknchar - I see you are in Nebraska...I'm in Pierre, SD and will need to come to Lincoln or Omaha if I need to visit a Lexus dealer. Do you recommend one over another?
Both Lexus of Omaha and Lexus of Lincoln are owned by the same parent company, so probably very similar price structures/etc. I haven't used Lexus of Lincoln, but I've dealt with Lexus of Omaha quite a bit on several Lexus vehicles I've owned, and have had good experiences with them. My Service Advisor (Nick) is great to work with, and I recommend you ask for him if you do any servicing in Omaha. He even was kind enough (and bold enough) to tip me off to a fantastic independent shop near me for some non-warranty work that I needed to have done (when Ii balked at the "standard" Lexus price). I've used the Indie shop for all non-warranty work (timing belt change for my SC430, etc.), and I think that's the way to go, if you can find a shop you trust.

There are very few 600hLs in Nebraska, and I've never actually seen one "in the wild." I'm extremely happy to own such an amazing, unique flagship. Note that I paid $43K for my 2008 (with 58K miles) back in June of 2014. It was a CPO vehicle, and I was able to extend the warranty for a total of 6 years/125K miles for a great price ($2200). You got a great deal on your car, in my mind!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 600hl