LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 12:56 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Has this happened to you?

So I visited my friendly Lexus dealer today to address issues. Got a 2016 ES loaner for family to shop. We all get in the car and I push the button. The dash lights up but car didn't start. Right there in the service bay!! Ok, I turn off and try again FOUR times, no cranking, no joy.... My family looks at me and is wondering WT... Are you kidding me??

I am ready to step out and complain to the tech when I notice a little green light "EV"! I was in a ES350h and it was deathly silent on start up. Even turning on the AC did not cause the engine to kick in right away!! Needless to say, I was feeling foolish . I think I saw the Reception techs exchanging smiles (laughs) when I pulled out of the service bay
Old 10-29-16, 03:12 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I rented an Audi at Dublin Airport. I pulled out of the rental area, stopped at the very first traffic light & the car shut down. I was very confused, and a little hungover from partying in Dublin.
I then started to panic..horns started blasting behind me. Eventually I had a lightbulb moment & stomped on the gas pedal, and off we went.
Automatic shutdown, gave me a panic attack
Old 10-29-16, 07:37 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Same thing happend to be on a business trip rental. I was in an BMW X5. While stopped at the first stoplight the engine turned off. I was like what the heck? Then i realize it must be a start stop tech. My bmw was not a hybrid but still had this option to save some gas. I just turn off that feature.
Old 10-29-16, 07:55 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hybrids are tricky like that
Old 10-29-16, 08:04 PM
Bliz460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not yet driven a hybrid or EV car. I can say they are dangerous in parking lots walking into or out of a store. You just don't hear anything if they come up behind you.
Old 10-30-16, 05:57 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bliz460
I've not yet driven a hybrid or EV car. I can say they are dangerous in parking lots walking into or out of a store. You just don't hear anything if they come up behind you.
When you hit the start button there is no indication of a change in state. You put the thing in gear and proceed to your destination...cool, but so weird.
Old 10-30-16, 07:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliz460
???? My wife's 2012 CT200H has a noise generator that sounds like a nicely tuned engine humming along. When it's not in drive, then yes, there's no noise, but as soon as "R" or "D" is selected the noise generator kicks in. From what I can see, most manufacturers do this. UK requires it by law. NHTSA in the US is also passing laws to ensure all car makers do this as well, even though it's already implemented in car makers EV vehicles voluntarily..
Old 10-30-16, 07:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superdenso
When you hit the start button there is no indication of a change in state. You put the thing in gear and proceed to your destination...cool, but so weird.
Again, on my wif'es CT200, when you hit the "start" button the button light goes out and "ready" indicates on the dash to tell you the car is running.
Old 10-30-16, 08:08 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Again, on my wif'es CT200, when you hit the "start" button the button light goes out and "ready" indicates on the dash to tell you the car is running.
This was my first time driving a hybrid, and I had no inkling the loaner would be one. In fact the dash looked different with a charge indicator in place of a tachometer and the lights you mention were working. But in those seconds I was attempting to start the car, none of these differences registered in my brain.
Old 10-30-16, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
???? My wife's 2012 CT200H has a noise generator that sounds like a nicely tuned engine humming along. When it's not in drive, then yes, there's no noise, but as soon as "R" or "D" is selected the noise generator kicks in. From what I can see, most manufacturers do this. UK requires it by law. NHTSA in the US is also passing laws to ensure all car makers do this as well, even though it's already implemented in car makers EV vehicles voluntarily..
Thats a Canadian thing. US Hybrids and electric cars don't have that. I think it's dumb, people just need to pay attention to their surroundings.
Old 10-30-16, 09:29 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

The 2016 ES300h does have the noise generator. Its annoying for the driver (me) when you have your windows open, but I can see the safety benefit. Personally as the driver, I wish the annoying noise was not there. The serene quietness of driving in electric mode is quite nice.
Not sure when U.S. law will require such noise generators on all hybrid/electrics, but Lexus has adopted it.

Someone commented that there is no indication of when you actually are in ignition/engine-on state. There is actually some indication based on what shows on the steering wheel dash area, but you have to be used to what to see on the dash. It is not intuitive. I can see how one could be quite confused with a loaner for a day!

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats a Canadian thing. US Hybrids and electric cars don't have that. I think it's dumb, people just need to pay attention to their surroundings.
Old 10-30-16, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Interesting, the last ES300h I drove was a 13 and it didn't have the sound generator.
Old 10-30-16, 12:26 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting, the last ES300h I drove was a 13 and it didn't have the sound generator.

I wasn't expecting it. At first I thought something was wrong, brakes were squeaking/grinding. Then checked the owners manual and discovered that there was a noise generator. LOL
Old 10-30-16, 02:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yes they do. It's definitely not just a Canadian thing. American CT200H owners on the CT forums have been trying to figure out how to disable it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...warning_sounds
Old 10-30-16, 03:40 PM
superdenso
Instructor

NSX is the same, no indication of successful startup...just a note that says "hybrid system on" would be enough for me. I sure hope engine simulator noises are not gonna happen. a Microsoft Windows jingle would be more than a enough

Quick Reply: Has this happened to you?