LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 Genesis G90, who's buying it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 10:14 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I too like the spindle on the LS, especially the F Sport. I think the LS is probably its best application, some of the newer cars are too over the top IMHO.Just as a comparison, I've owned 7 Toyota/Lexus vehicles over the past 18 years, and having now owned a Kia/Hyundai product, I don't think I will ever purchase another Toyota. Only Lexus I think I would choose again potentially is another LS, none of the other models do anything for me anymore vs the competition, including that competition from Hyundai/Kia. I really enjoyed my GS also, but the refresh GS is too over the top for me. Certainly every model Toyota I would easily choose the comparable Hyundai/Kia and thats the truth.

My Kia Sedona is one of the most solid vehicles I've ever had, and I've had a lot of nice vehicles.

Resale is poor, but leases are very good. Since I lease, doesn't bother me. My Kia lease is almost no interest, lowest MF I have ever seen, .000001. Better resale will come in time.
That and the 16 es have the best application. Tho I love it on the whole line up.
Old 11-01-16, 10:57 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

More reading..... Overall, very positive reviews.

G90 V6 Turbo
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...wd-test-review

G90 V8 review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-8-test-review
Old 11-01-16, 02:56 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
More reading..... Overall, very positive reviews.

G90 V6 Turbo
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...wd-test-review

G90 V8 review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-8-test-review
from its review: As a luxury sedan, the G90 is just fine. As a means of establishing Genesis as a name worthy of respect, it needs more work.
Old 11-01-16, 03:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
from its review: As a luxury sedan, the G90 is just fine. As a means of establishing Genesis as a name worthy of respect, it needs more work.
It needs more work and, importantly, more time... Lexus didn't become respectable overnight.
Old 11-01-16, 05:19 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=comotiger;9667618]It needs more work and, importantly, more time... Lexus didn't become respectable overnight.[/QUOTE

I've no reservations about the brand & I'd buy it sight-unseen. Wouldn't need a test drive, I know it'll be a fantastic riding, quiet luxury sedan with loads of room.

My LS430 Ultra was a beautiful new 2006 sedan, payments were $1500/month. I spent $25,000 in maintenance to travel 365,000 miles in 8 years.

Currently a 2014 EQUUS I operate, has travelled 172,000 miles & cost me in total maintenance - tires, brakes, new steering rack alignments & oil changes etc $7,361

FYI - I paid $51,000 for this Equus, with 900 miles & $75K for the brand new 2006 LS430 Ultra.

Last edited by L8RSk8R; 11-01-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 05:39 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my province in Canada, all 3 Hyundai dealers don't want to open a new Genesis shop, so they don't even have new Hyundai Genesis to sell next year. The highest model sedan they will have next year is the Sonata. We have Lexus, BMW. Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, Acura, Infiniti luxury car dealers.
Old 11-01-16, 07:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
In my province in Canada, all 3 Hyundai dealers don't want to open a new Genesis shop, so they don't even have new Hyundai Genesis to sell next year. The highest model sedan they will have next year is the Sonata. We have Lexus, BMW. Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, Acura, Infiniti luxury car dealers.
Weird. In BC here, I can get a Genesis at my Hyundai dealer.
Old 11-01-16, 07:20 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I just checked the Hyundai Canada website and you can order a Genesis through there. You can do a build and price right through the website.
Old 11-02-16, 12:44 PM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

And your (and my) Lexus is an $80k Toyota. When I bought my first LS it still said "Toyota" on the windows. Ever bought a part for your Lexus? Box says Toyota.

The argument that "its a $70k Hyundai" is ridiculous coming from a Lexus owner lol
Like I said IMO but thank you for the history lesson on Toyota and Lexus lol. For 70k I would prefer a lot of vehicles over the Hyundai including my "Toyota"...js
Old 11-02-16, 12:56 PM
Robb92914
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL. And your Lexus is an 80k dollar Toyota. That's what the snobs say on the MB and BMW forums. They laugh at us. That kind of thinking is foolish. The vehicle either warrants the price or it doesn't, regardless of the badge. If your as old as I am, you'll remember the 70's when terms and sayings like "Jap Crap" were prevalent. Who's laughing now? Anything that said, "made in Japan" meant that it was worthless. Now, everyone wants it made there.....dare I say more so than "made in the USA". Everyone wants their watches, stereos, TV's and cameras to be made in Japan. Korea will be the next Japan. Some say they already are. LG, Samsung, etc.

I respect that but its all about personal preference and trust in a brand that has proved itself from time to time. The Genesis is nice...but I am not sold and that is based on my experience with all the Lexus vehicles I have owned. It's all about the trust in the brand for me. Others may think or feel differently and that's ok. Why? Bc that is their opinion.
Old 11-02-16, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb92914
Like I said IMO but thank you for the history lesson on Toyota and Lexus lol. For 70k I would prefer a lot of vehicles over the Hyundai including my "Toyota"...js
Such as? You clearly haven't driven the car. if you like your LS460L, there is no reason you wouldn't like the G90...and there isn't anything that would give you the driving experience you're used to for that money, including a new LS460L...thats going to cost you ~ $20,000 more.
Old 11-02-16, 02:19 PM
Robb92914
Driver

Such as? You clearly haven't driven the car. if you like your LS460L, there is no reason you wouldn't like the G90...and there isn't anything that would give you the driving experience you're used to for that money, including a new LS460L...thats going to cost you ~ $20,000 more.
Yeah I can admit you're right...i can't really pass judgement without driving the car. Now I want to drive it lol.
Old 11-02-16, 06:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

SW15LS stole my thunder. I was going to say pretty much the same thing. You passed judgement without having even sat in it, let alone drive it. And HEY....that's ok. Like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I truly believe that in every way, the G90 will meet or exceed my LS460...and that includes reliability. Not that it'll be an issue with the ridiculous warranty the G90 will come with. I will have likely moved onto something else by the time 10 years or 100k comes around. Based on the 10 or so friends, family and acquaitences I have the drive a Hyundai (or KIA), I don't anticipate having any issues, except maybe at trade-in time. Not that my BMW's ever gave me any decent trade-in's either. LOL.
Old 11-02-16, 06:27 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
SW15LS stole my thunder. I was going to say pretty much the same thing. You passed judgement without having even sat in it, let alone drive it. And HEY....that's ok. Like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I truly believe that in every way, the G90 will meet or exceed my LS460...and that includes reliability. Not that it'll be an issue with the ridiculous warranty the G90 will come with. I will have likely moved onto something else by the time 10 years or 100k comes around. Based on the 10 or so friends, family and acquaitences I have the drive a Hyundai (or KIA), I don't anticipate having any issues, except maybe at trade-in time. Not that my BMW's ever gave me any decent trade-in's either. LOL.
The g90 may be a great car. Sat in one last year at nyc auto show. And the ls460 exceeds it in every way. Come on now you can't say a car that's been out for so long which amazing brand history and now lower than a car that was just released.
Old 11-02-16, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
The g90 may be a great car. Sat in one last year at nyc auto show. And the ls460 exceeds it in every way. Come on now you can't say a car that's been out for so long which amazing brand history and now lower than a car that was just released.
You did not sit in a G90 last year at the car show. It's a brand new car, it wasn't at a car show last year.

And I own an LS460 and you don't lol, sorry to be blunt. The G90 is literally a "Hyundai LS", it clearly was designed directly to compete against the LS. Have you driven a G90? Have you even driven an LS460? I recall you saying you had not. How can you say the "LS exceeds it in every way"?

The LS is a great car, but remember it's at the end of its life and is going to be replaced with an all new LS next year. The current LS is a great car, but essentially it's 10 years old. It's not that the G90 is dramatically better, it's that its so very similar, a little bit better in a couple ways yet is such a great value that makes it such a compelling car. Like I said a few months ago, the LS still holds up compared to newer vehicles in its segment when you factor in the LS's relative value. Well, this car is an even better value.

Quick Reply: 2017 Genesis G90, who's buying it?