LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Stops pads installed wrong?

Old 10-20-16, 03:11 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Power Stops pads installed wrong?

2011 LS460 sport.
Got tried of the squeal and brake dust. Seemed most here where recommending the Power Stop pads.
And most seem to say they stopped just as good as the brembo's

So bought the pads and had dealer install them.

But I do notice a big difference. They don't seem to anywhere close to as good as the brembo's.
And before it seemed the front of the car would grab first. Now it seems the back brakes grab first. Or maybe just to used to the brembo's

So my question is could they have been installed wrong?
No squeal and brake dust is great. Stopping power is OK but I would guess at at 30% less.
I can live with these but should I have tried something else?

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-20-16, 05:59 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you do the bedding-in procedure?
Old 10-21-16, 06:06 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tec80
Did you do the bedding-in procedure?

Yes, did follow the instructions
Old 10-21-16, 07:08 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
Yes, did follow the instructions
When you say "better" do you mean they are less aggressive or grab less? Did they turn the rotors or install new rotors(front and back). Also, do you have the same pads installed front and back right now? To answer your question, a 1o year old with a needle nose pliers and a screwdriver can change the pads on an LS. It is as simple as it gets when it comes to brake pad swaps. If you time me I can change the pads in an hour using a floor jack, so a tech with a lift could do it in 30 to 40min. Removing tires would consume most of the time.
Old 10-21-16, 07:57 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
I can live with these but should I have tried something else?

Thanks for any input.
Next time try the Akebono ceramic pads. I have them on my car and my wife's car. They work very well. I know many others on this forum use them and like them.
Old 10-21-16, 09:09 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Next time try the Akebono ceramic pads. I have them on my car and my wife's car. They work very well. I know many others on this forum use them and like them.
They work well on a lot of different cars/I have them on the LS...I even put them on a German car without turning the rotors and they performed wonderfully.
Old 10-21-16, 09:52 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Akebonos are the best overall, but they unfortunately do not make a pad for the Brembo calipers on the front of the Sport model. The Power Stop pads are "harder" than the OEM Brembo pads, but they stop every bit as well. With them, I can engage the ABS at any speed above 30 if I jab the brake pedal. I didn't notice a difference in stopping power between OEM and Power Stop, and the Power Stop pads actually work better at higher speeds.
Old 10-21-16, 09:57 AM
Tec80
Advanced

There may be something wrong with the installation or pads. When you do a hard stop (as when you did the bedding procedure), can you engage the ABS easily on dry pavement? When ABS is active, the tires will gently squeal as the car comes down from speed.
Old 10-21-16, 10:45 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by superdenso
When you say "better" do you mean they are less aggressive or grab less? Did they turn the rotors or install new rotors(front and back). Also, do you have the same pads installed front and back right now? To answer your question, a 1o year old with a needle nose pliers and a screwdriver can change the pads on an LS. It is as simple as it gets when it comes to brake pad swaps. If you time me I can change the pads in an hour using a floor jack, so a tech with a lift could do it in 30 to 40min. Removing tires would consume most of the time.

I would say less aggressive and grab less. Also they did turn the rotors. Not sure if they really need it since only have 29K miles on the car. Had also had them replace the brembos once because of the squeal. And it does not stop bad. I would say it brakes like I would expect for any car. It is just that the brembo's took me awhile to get used to when I first got the car. They were a little touchy and stopping power was unbelievable compared to all other cars I have owned, about a dozen over the years. And what I would guess a non sport LS would be like.

There was just this one time I ever had to make an emergency stop while driving at about 55 MPH. This thing stopped so smooth and in half the distance that I had expected. Did not really appreciate the brembos until that happened. Car pulled out in front of me. There no question in my mind I was going to hit. Was just a matter of how hard. Could not believe that I actually stopped a full car length short.

I am still ok with the new pads trade off with brake dust and no squeal. Just that reading on the forum most say they can not tell a difference. Don't think they all can be wrong.

But still ok with the trade off
Old 10-21-16, 10:51 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tec80
There may be something wrong with the installation or pads. When you do a hard stop (as when you did the bedding procedure), can you engage the ABS easily on dry pavement? When ABS is active, the tires will gently squeal as the car comes down from speed.
Yes I do remember that during the bedding procedure. I remember thinking are these pads going to start squeaking like the brembo's. Was just a slight squealing and they have been fine since.
Old 10-21-16, 11:14 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got 1500 miles on the Powerstops. Yes, they are way, way less dusty. Win.

They feel a bit less grabby on initial bite, but they work fine for how I drive my car. Is the initial bite as good as the dusty @ss Brembos? No, it's not quite there. But it's close.
Old 10-22-16, 04:37 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seanl
I've got 1500 miles on the Powerstops. Yes, they are way, way less dusty. Win.

They feel a bit less grabby on initial bite, but they work fine for how I drive my car. Is the initial bite as good as the dusty @ss Brembos? No, it's not quite there. But it's close.
Thanks, sounds like the same as mine. Just a little difference on how we judge "not quite there"
But I agree they are close enough that I would not go back because of the brake dust. Was just concerned when a lot said they could not tell any difference at all in braking performance.
Old 10-27-16, 03:36 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Also just noticed after a few weeks the Power Stops have half the brake dust as the oem rear brakes. Not a problem since the Brembo's really needed cleaning daily if it was worth the time. And the rear about ever 2 weeks. Now looks like the power stops could go a month.

But another question. About how long to pads last have about 29K miles. When I do replace the back should I stick with OEM pads or go with the Power stops so I have the same brand on all.

Thanks
Old 10-28-16, 03:58 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Ceramic pads seem to last forever! I have had them installed for 4 years on a truck and they don't show any wear. Go with powerstops for the rear.