LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to find a (good) independent repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 03:51 PM
Bliz460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find a (good) independent repair shop

So I really want a newer 2013 or 2014 LS460. There's a couple other posts about where to find one etc.

I called my insurance and the costs aren't so bad. About a third more than I'm paying now for my VW Golf.

and then today I called a nearby "certified" Lexus repair shop. Independent and not a dealer but still their web site looks like they know what they are talking about. Now perhaps the guy just didn't want to talk because he wasn't going to make any money off me, but he was VERY unenthusiastic about talking at all. Like one word answers, etc.

My questions.... do y'all go to the dealer for repairs or an independent shop.

My bigger question: Is the Lexus LS460 more expensive to maintain than say a 2015 F150 Kings Ranch (my wife's vehicle.)

For example, if I buy a gently used 460 will maintenance and repairs send me to the poor house? From everything I read here these cars are ultra reliable and practically bullet proof. The mechanic I spoke with today sounded like doom and gloom.

And yes, this forum is awesome! I'm reading as much as I can about these cars and trying to soak up enough information to not be a newbie Lexus buyer when I go plunk down some money for one. So thank you in advance....
Old 10-18-16, 06:30 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd say yes, it is more expensive to maintain than a F150. Definitely. But the flip side to that is the LS is pretty damn reliable, but if it were to break? Yeah parts are expensive and if you took it to a dealer it'd be very very expensive. Compared to other luxury cars the LS is head and shoulders above the competition, but compared to a pickup truck? Pickup trucks are pretty durable and reliable too...pickup trucks that are driven all over America have some of the higher mileage totals you will ever see. They are used for work in a lot of instances.

As far as independents, I think they're fine for the basic repairs and maintenance you'll need. Check engine lights, updates or electrical problems, I'd take it to the dealer. But you shouldn't run into many of those problems.
Old 10-18-16, 07:37 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you worry about that, you should really buy some extended warranty. Lexus warranty is reasonable comparing to others. This way, you will always have peace of mind and don't have unseen cost during your ownership
Old 10-18-16, 07:46 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bliz460
For example, if I buy a gently used 460 will maintenance and repairs send me to the poor house? ...
If you worry about repair cost of LS460 will send you to poor house, you maybe overspend money on your car.
Old 10-18-16, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

My questions.... do y'all go to the dealer for repairs or an independent shop.
I do and have done both. I have a great independent shop, the owner was a Lexus Master Tech for 16 years. He's roughly half the cost of the dealer for everything. When its something thats not much, I'll use the dealer and get the loaner and all. For instance, the 5k service is just a tire rotation basically...he's $49 and the dealer is $99, but the dealer gives me a loaner and I don't have to wait...is that worth $50? Depends on the day. For the oil change service (10K) the dealers $199 and he's like $129. Again, same question. Is the ease more valuable than the cost. Now...30k service. Dealer is $600 he's $275. Thats a no brainer.

Dealer wanted $400 to resurface the rotors. Insanity.

I also feel like it gets better service with him, he's using the best oil, all OEM parts, etc. For instance the last stop he told me the Lexus dealer I use doesn't use Toyota oil, or even their coolant. I've known him for years, he's not lying to me.

My bigger question: Is the Lexus LS460 more expensive to maintain than say a 2015 F150 Kings Ranch (my wife's vehicle.
If you use the dealer, a ton more expensive. If you don't use the dealer...not really. Parts are going to cost more, but it will need less repairs as it ages. Routine service not really any more.

Its a very well built, reliable car. The great thing about it vs say a BMW or Mercedes or Audi...is that its essentially a really nice Toyota. Anybody can work on it, its a standard OBD II diagnostic system, nothing special. If you want to...you could have it serviced at a gas station. I've had three, the first two I had over 100K miles, the 98 until almost 200k miles, no issues, few repairs. I also have in the family an old ES series Lexus, it has 190,000 miles, only repairs its ever had other than brakes, tires, maintenance, etc is an alternator, and I replaced the lower control arms at about 150k miles, cost me $1,250 (dealer wanted $4k) at my independent. I also replaced one engine mount at some point. It just had a valve cover gasket replaced also, but again its 13 years old...

The LS460 has a benefit over older versions of the LS also because it has a timing chain, the LS430 and LS400 had timing belts, those have to be replaced every 90k miles and its an expensive job ($1,500 at Lexus, $800 or so at my independent)...but not an issue with the LS460.

If you're worried as someone else said, go CPO and make sure it has a warranty, but I think you'll be happy.

I would keep my LS460 for 15 years and 200k miles without hesitation.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-18-16 at 08:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomgarv (07-25-23)
Old 10-18-16, 10:24 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

If I owned a older LS I would used a independent shop. Personally if I was thinking about buying a '13 or new LS I would definitely take it to a dealership for maintenance and repairs. That's their specialty and expertise. I would get an extended warranty for a peace of mind. Every warranty I have purchased have saved me thousands of dollars in repairs. I owned a MB and my extended warranty paid over $12k in repairs. The LS is well built and a fine automobile but it isn't bulletproof.
Old 10-19-16, 06:07 AM
Bliz460
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I was sort of thinking in the same direction, but it's nice to hear other people's experiences. I didn't mention the independent shop I spoke with, because I really have no experience one way or another with them, and didn't want to give them a bad review off of one 5 minute phone conversation.
Old 10-19-16, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
If I owned a older LS I would used a independent shop. Personally if I was thinking about buying a '13 or new LS I would definitely take it to a dealership for maintenance and repairs. That's their specialty and expertise. I would get an extended warranty for a peace of mind. Every warranty I have purchased have saved me thousands of dollars in repairs. I owned a MB and my extended warranty paid over $12k in repairs. The LS is well built and a fine automobile but it isn't bulletproof.
Be careful not to over-emphasize the "expertise" of the dealer. Remember, all that you are doing when it comes to standard maintenance is changing fluids and filters basically. There is nothing special or unique about the LS when it comes to that, and the dealership doesn't have their master techs doing that stuff, they have grunt people that do that. My independent shop only has two techs and the owner, who is a Lexus Master Tech. So everything that is done to it is done by ASE certified mechanics, including changing fluid. Thats not the case at the dealer.

Using the dealer for that maintenance will cost a *lot* more than using an independent mechanic. I've had these cars a long time, I've used a bunch of different dealers, and independent shops...the ONLY reason I would ever use the dealer is for ease, or the pleasant high end experience. I am 100% convinced that if anything, your vehicle itself receives lower quality service at the dealer than it does at a great shop. I've seen them do some really stupid stuff.
tomgarv (11-01-21)
Old 10-19-16, 06:42 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

I only used the dealer when my car was still under warranty and I needed them to check a few things.

I have a great independent mechanic who has worked on all my cars, and I would trust him to do any repair. He always tells me to buy Japanese cars and stay away from German cars.

Try looking up your local shops on Yelp. If there are enough reviews out there, you can usually get a good idea as to whether it's worth trying the place or not. Going by the 80/20 rule, there will always be the people who are never happy with anything, but you can usually spot those reviews easily enough.
Old 10-19-16, 07:42 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Independent shop charge the same rate or a little more expensive than the Toyota dealer in my area. So I usually do maintenance job like oil change, changing braking pads, flush braking fluid in Toyota dealer. We don’t have a Lexus master tech that run its own shop. Even we have, I don’t think he will shuttle you back to your work place while they work on your car. I let the Lexus dealer to do the warranty repair.

Do you think that with the knowledge we gained from this forum, it will help to make sure independent shop or dealer to be due diligent?
Old 10-19-16, 07:55 AM
Bliz460
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTEDo you think that with the knowledge we gained from this forum, it will help to make sure independent shop or dealer to be due diligent?]. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I fully believe that going into any repair shop, dealer or independent, having a working knowledge of your car and possible problems / solutions, will make the mechanic try a little harder to make sure we are satisfied.

If I gonanywhere without basic information, it gives the sales person an advantage. For example, my wife wanted a new road bike (bicycle) recently. I know a lot about bicycles, but before we really sat down and talked about them, she went to a few stores. One salesman literally had her test riding a $6,000 bicycle. He wanted to make a quick sale. It was just far more bike than she needed. So after I coached her on what components to look for etc. she went into the next store and was able to talk to the sales person as an informed customer. She got the perfect bike at a great price.

Y'all have really convinced me. The LS I'm looking at is white. I saw one in silver the other day, but for some reason this car doesn't look good to me in silver. White or the dark grey looks best. In my opinion anyway. Thanks.
Old 10-19-16, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Independent shop charge the same rate or a little more expensive than the Toyota dealer in my area. So I usually do maintenance job like oil change, changing braking pads, flush braking fluid in Toyota dealer. We don’t have a Lexus master tech that run its own shop. Even we have, I don’t think he will shuttle you back to your work place while they work on your car. I let the Lexus dealer to do the warranty repair.
But the quality of the work thats done at the Toyota dealership won't be as good as what is done by a good independent mechanic. Dealerships often use the cheapest fluids, brake components, etc, and a lot of independent mechanics will shuttle you to work or a subway, etc...and theres always Uber if it exists in your area.

I've also had my Toyota vehicles and Lexus vehicles serviced at a Toyota dealer. If I'm not going to use the Lexus dealer, I'm certainly not going to use the Toyota dealer...I'd rather have the better quality, more personalized service of an independent shop...whether the owner is a Lexus master tech or not.

Y'all have really convinced me. The LS I'm looking at is white. I saw one in silver the other day, but for some reason this car doesn't look good to me in silver. White or the dark grey looks best. In my opinion anyway. Thanks.
Good! Yeah I don't care for the 13-16 in silver either, I don't know why. I had the same silver on my 2013 GS and loved it, but for some reason on the LS it doesn't do it for me.
tomgarv (11-01-21)
Old 10-19-16, 12:11 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

If a person can afford to spend $40k+ on a 3 yrs old LS seems like the Lexus dealers would be the place for repairs and services because the car is almost new. Many independents import repair shops advertise they specialized in all imports but how can a shop with three mechanics or less be cross trained in newer, complex and high tech vehicles like Lexus, BMW, Audi, MB, Jaguar, etc.? When I was having problems with my 460 trunk closing the Toyota dealership said take it back to Lexus. I've used Toyota for oil changes, brakes, etc. and they claim to have Lexus mechanics but didn't want to fix my trunk. Independent shops and dealerships are in the business to make money and I've used both over the years and either way its easy to get taken advantage of if you don't check around and ask questions. The dealership charge my sister $95 for a pair of cheap old metal wiper blades that she could have gotten at any auto parts store for $10 each.
Old 10-19-16, 01:04 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

If a person can afford to spend $40k+ on a 3 yrs old LS, then you can also afford to buy extended warranty to cover yourself if you worry about repair cost.

seems like some Lexus dealers charges more than other ones. My Lexus dealer charge only $190 for labor of replacing 8 spark plugs. It is almost the same price as independent shop. My Toyota dealer even charges more.
Old 10-19-16, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
If a person can afford to spend $40k+ on a 3 yrs old LS seems like the Lexus dealers would be the place for repairs and services because the car is almost new. Many independents import repair shops advertise they specialized in all imports but how can a shop with three mechanics or less be cross trained in newer, complex and high tech vehicles like Lexus, BMW, Audi, MB, Jaguar, etc.? When I was having problems with my 460 trunk closing the Toyota dealership said take it back to Lexus. I've used Toyota for oil changes, brakes, etc. and they claim to have Lexus mechanics but didn't want to fix my trunk. Independent shops and dealerships are in the business to make money and I've used both over the years and either way its easy to get taken advantage of if you don't check around and ask questions. The dealership charge my sister $95 for a pair of cheap old metal wiper blades that she could have gotten at any auto parts store for $10 each.
Its not about "being able to afford the dealer", its about getting value for what you are spending. Just because something costs more doesn't mean its worth it, and it doesn't mean its better. What about a tire rotation at the Lexus dealer is worth $99 when its $49 at my independent mechanic? What about an oil change/rotation is worth $230 at the dealer when its $130 at my independent mechanic? The dealer bangs up my wheels and all and my independent mechanic has never done that. The dealer left the oil change flap open on the lower shield, my independent would never do that. You can tell the level of smudges and oil drips and other evidence that it was worked on (I don't let the dealer wash it) is much higher when the dealer has worked on it than my independent mechanic...so thats evidence that they are treating it with more care than the dealer. I've had dealers damage my cars multiple times, my independent mechanic has never done that.

So...to me its not about not being able to pay more, its about paying more and not getting even the same level of service.

If the LS was new or newer your issue with the trunk would be covered by warranty, so of course its going to go to the dealer...but for routine service, I stand by my statement that the ONLY reason to use the dealer vs a good, trusted independent mechanic is convenience and the premium experience.

Now, that aint nothing. When you're buying an $80,000+ car you're making a couple hundred K a year plus (or, you should be), and time is valuable. The dealer is easy, convenient and enjoyable, loaners are a huge time saver. When I take it to the independent mechanic I'm confident I'm getting better work done, but it takes more time and hassle for me so its a cost/benefit analysis.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-19-16 at 02:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW17LS:
DavidinCT (04-02-20), hadokenuh (03-28-20), tomgarv (07-25-23)

Quick Reply: How to find a (good) independent repair shop