LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

0W-20 better in the winter than 5W-20?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 12:51 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Stick with 0W-20, as per the owner's manual. I can't imagine why anyone would run anything but 0W-20 or 5W-20, just based on the Toyota recommendation alone. Not that I think it would necessarily hurt anything to run 0W-30. 20 (or 30) will be the viscosity of the oil once the engine and oil is warmed up. If the choice to run 0W-30 is based on availability, I can see that. I don't think it would hurt anything ... but whoever does may get 0.01 mpg less fuel economy.
Yes indeed. Makes sense to me.
Old 05-27-17, 11:40 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Toyota oil is made by Mobil 1.
Yes they do, but I wouldn't swear that it's the "same" thing. I actually called mobil 1 some time back when I heard that Toyota and Lexus were using mobil 1 full synthetic.. Gentleman at Mobil advised me that yes, they do make oil for Toyota and Lexus, as well as several other manufacturers, but he went on to say you can't beat what's on the shelf at your local auto parts store or walmart. When I pressed him to tell me if the mobil 1 on the shelf at walmart was different than that in the 55 gallon drum at the dealership, all he would say is " you can't get better than what's on the shelf. I take that to mean the stuff at the dealership, while I'm sure is still good, perhaps it's not made to the exact specs of the oil on the shelf at walmart... I don't know, I don't care... just to be safe I buy my mobil 1 locally at auto parts stores or walmart, whoever is running the best price.

Poppa
Old 05-28-17, 04:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Doublebase, that Mercedes tech is very wise. As the engine ages, it makes the oil dirty at a faster rate due to increased blowby. So it actually does require more frequent oil changes, which is exactly opposite what most people do as their cars age. Even maintaining the same change interval (if longer than 5k) can be detrimental as the engine accumulates high hours - the engine will deplete the additive package faster, causing the oil to become acidic.
You know in all the oil discussions I've had over the years I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this but it makes sense. The rings wear with higher mileage, blowby increases and it further saturates the oil quicker. Interesting.
Old 05-28-17, 08:43 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes they do, but I wouldn't swear that it's the "same" thing
And one would HOPE that it WASN'T the "same thing".... I don't want the oil in my car to be the exact same as the oil for the 76 Buick Regal down the block. I WANT my oil to be formulated differently than the others - specifically for the DI in my LS and other things like high molybdenum. BUT the fact that it's MADE by Mobil 1 is a good thing because of their reputation for making a good oil. In your words, "to be safe", I use TGMO, because it's formulated for my car, and is supported by my oil analysis reports from Blackstone Labs, which confirmed the high levels of Moly and other additives NOT found in the regular Mobil 1. Again, the moly is the key and required by Toyota from Mobil.

You know in all the oil discussions I've had over the years I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this but it makes sense. The rings wear with higher mileage, blowby increases and it further saturates the oil quicker. Interesting.
It makes sense and is why I have lowered my OCI to 8k kms (5K miles). It is only at this seemingly magic mark, that my oil consumption suddenly starts to kick in. It's as though the odometer has a switch that says, "5k miles... start adding a qt every 1k miles now". lol. I've been documenting over the last 3 OCI's my oil additions. Literally at the 5k mile mark +/-, I have to add a qt and then a qt every 1k miles-1.5k miles thereafter. Weird...but true....and now perhaps explained by the MB tech.
Old 05-28-17, 09:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Roadfrog, me as well...as soon as I hit 5,000 miles it's like something happens. All of the sudden my car starts to use oil. But prior to 5,000? Virtually nothing. And I know we have a thread somewhere on here regarding this issue, but nothing has changed for me...doesn't matter what oil I use.
Old 05-28-17, 09:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Roadfrog, me as well...as soon as I hit 5,000 miles it's like something happens. All of the sudden my car starts to use oil. But prior to 5,000? Virtually nothing. And I know we have a thread somewhere on here regarding this issue, but nothing has changed for me...doesn't matter what oil I use.
Exactly. Whether I use the TGMO 0W20, or the Castrol 5W30.....same consumption. Again, doesn't concern me....just interesting.
Old 05-28-17, 11:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

0W oil is going to be better for very cold start up temperatures, thinner and puts less stress on the engine. 20 weight oils were mainly adopted as a quick easy way to eek out better fuel economy, I do not really fully trust them for long term engine durability/wear protection especially in higher temperatures/increased load. If I get a car that requires a 0 W20 I will use mainly 0 W20 Castrol but mix it with a quart or two of German 0W 30 Group 4 Castrol which should hopefully add a little more long term durability/wear protection for parts especially in hot climates.
Old 06-14-17, 10:26 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

wtf are you smoking, viscosity has little to do with protecting an engine. a 60 weight? are you crazy? you will gum up that engine and starve that thing faster than a (fill in the blank, my mind lost it and blanked out)

If you have oil consumption, change to a different formula, you can stop the consumption by treating it chemically, I'd swap over to Amsoil Signiture Series if you're having a consumption issue or RL BioSyn PCMO.
Old 07-28-18, 09:33 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I will use 0w30 but there is no chance of 0w20 going into my car. 0w20 was a weird attempt to get better mpg's and it doesn't workout well. You can research this topic about Toyota and 0w20 all over the net. And another thing, I will not buy manufacturer branded oil (i.e. Acura, Toyota, Mazda). Mercedes, Bentley and Corvette recommend Mobil1; if it's good enough for them, thats what I use when Redline is not available.

From the MANUAL:
Oil viscosity
The 0W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates a characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load condition.
This is an old post but now I see why the previous owner put 5W-30 in the car... but I cannot *decide if I should follow with the same OR go with 0W-20....

Last edited by jdanielca; 07-30-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 06:53 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

but I cannot decided if I should follow with the same OR go with 0W-20....

------------------------

​​​​​​An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load condition.
Old 07-29-18, 07:06 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

do you usually drive your Lexus at "high speeds" like over 100mph? do you usually drive it under "extreme load" ?

well do you, punk? I like that clint eastwood line, then use 5-20

and if you do not, like the 99.99% of the human race then use 0-20 this is a definitive clear cut decision
Old 07-30-18, 09:33 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Once the engine is at operating temperature, the first number of an oil's viscosity grade means nothing, because that number describes the cold viscosity characteristic. For instance, 0W30, 5W30, and 10W30 all have the same viscosity at operating temperature, but will thicken more (10W30) or less (0W30) when cold.

Even 0W is still too thick when cold, but it thins to operating viscosity faster/earlier than 5W or 10W.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-102/
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (07-30-18)
Old 07-30-18, 09:40 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
do you usually drive your Lexus at "high speeds" like over 100mph? do you usually drive it under "extreme load" ?

and if you do not, like the 99.99% of the human race then use 0-20 this is a definitive clear cut decision
sometimes.. not consistently for hours. 170kmph for a bit if other cars are going that fast, when it is safe to do which can only be for a total or about an 1 or 2 through a 5 or 6 hour drive...
Old 07-30-18, 10:21 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax

no, you are wrong. Please read Tec80 comments below yours.