LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

transmission flush at 73k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 07:13 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Default transmission flush at 73k miles

2009 LS460 73k miles
an indy shop offered to do a complete transmission flush @ $240, including 10 quart of toyota transmission fluid.
he said it is a bit early to service the transmission, but its good if i want to keep the car for a long time.
at this mileage, will a transmission flush cause problems?
what do you think, thanks..
Old 10-10-16, 07:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Perfect time to do it. That price is pretty good too, if they indeed flush ALL fluid out.
Old 10-10-16, 07:26 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
.........will a transmission flush cause problems?
what do you think, thanks..
It may if it is not done properly. Unless you positively know this mechanic positively knows what he's doing with a LS transmission, I wouldn't let him touch it.

Whatever the savings over a Toyota or Lexus dealer simply isn't worth it to me. If it was something you had to have done every 6 months is one thing, but once every 6 years, what are you really saving?
Old 10-10-16, 07:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
It may if it is not done properly. Unless you positively know this mechanic positively knows what he's doing with a LS transmission, I wouldn't let him touch it.

Whatever the savings over a Toyota or Lexus dealer simply isn't worth it to me. If it was something you had to have done every 6 months is one thing, but once every 6 years, what are you really saving?
WHOAH! Yeah....I missed the part about it being an Indy shop. I'd pass on this one. If it were a Toyota dealer, then yes....I'd go for it. Techstream IMHO is a requirement for properly filling the trans.
Old 10-10-16, 07:56 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
yes definitely need to get it done right..

he works in a toyota dealer and helps friends on the side.
he did a transmission flush of my camry several years ago,
Old 10-10-16, 08:36 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
WHOAH! Yeah....I missed the part about it being an Indy shop. I'd pass on this one. If it were a Toyota dealer, then yes....I'd go for it. Techstream IMHO is a requirement for properly filling the trans.
Techstream is just used to tell the tech the temp of the transmission. There are other ways to measure the temp including a manual mode you can put the car into or using a laser infrared thermometer. Really, the procedure is not difficult. Just want to make sure you don't under-fill the unit.
Old 10-10-16, 12:27 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Depending on the machine he is using I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the newer machines have a setting where you tell the machine how much to remove, and it puts the exact same amount back in. It's tough to screw that up. So if it removes 10 quarts, it puts 10 back in. The fluid level won't change, shouldn't need to be checked and it replaces a lot of fluid. The only thing I'd worry about is them tapping into the tranny cooler lines...they could break something and they need to put them back together right. Also sometimes these machines with have up to three quarts of residual fluid left in them from the previous flush, if it's a Toyota dealer that's no problem because it will most likely be WS fluid, but an independent can have almost anything in there left over. And they know they do that, but they act like it doesn't matter. Personally I don't want three quarts of ATF + 4, or DEX VI in my tranny.
Old 10-10-16, 01:27 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is maintenance menu for LS 460 in Canada for km , not the miles. You decide that km by 1.6 and that is your miles. I don't see anywhere mentioned change transmission fluid. Do I miss anything?
Old 10-10-16, 01:56 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

If your going to run up the miles on the car instead of replacing it you should flush the tranny. I guarantee the fluid will be black and clogging your solenoids, passages etc. I would change the filter also. Good luck with whatever crap shoot shop or dealer you get to do it.
Old 10-10-16, 02:16 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Up to 200k miles, no steering, transmission fluid flush mentioned in the service manual. Only spark plugs, Coolant, brake fluid flush are mentioned
Old 10-10-16, 02:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
That is maintenance menu for LS 460 in Canada for km , not the miles. You decide that km by 1.6 and that is your miles. I don't see anywhere mentioned change transmission fluid. Do I miss anything?
No, you're not missing anything. Lexus states that it is a "sealed" transmission and does not need servicing. Obviously if you have a leak or a performance issue, the transmission should be serviced.
Old 10-10-16, 03:30 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

If it was sealed it would not have a drain and fill plug and a replaceable paper filter. The black contaminated fluid will probably last forever though. I just feel better knowing its clean.
Old 10-10-16, 05:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Techstream is just used to tell the tech the temp of the transmission. There are other ways to measure the temp including a manual mode you can put the car into or using a laser infrared thermometer. Really, the procedure is not difficult. Just want to make sure you don't under-fill the unit.
Not according to the Lexus Tech manual. Apparently Techstream also opens certain valves and solenoids, etc to properly fill the trans.
Old 10-10-16, 05:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
No, you're not missing anything. Lexus states that it is a "sealed" transmission and does not need servicing. Obviously if you have a leak or a performance issue, the transmission should be serviced.
Only in the US. In every other market (including Canada), the manual specifically states that trans flushes are required, Marketing in the US is why it's not required there.
Old 10-10-16, 07:05 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Only in the US. In every other market (including Canada), the manual specifically states that trans flushes are required, Marketing in the US is why it's not required there.
I get that print out from service department of my local Lexus dealer in Canada. They always want to make more money from your car maintenance service. No mention of transmission fluid flush before 200k miles

Quick Reply: transmission flush at 73k miles