LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drove a Genesis G90 today, thoughts vs the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 11:28 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Very interesting and intriguing.

The past reliability of the Hyundai Genesis has not been report to be as good as Lexus, but will be interesting to see what happens with reliability in upcoming years now that the Genesis line has been spun off from Hyundai.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If anybody's interested I posted a review in the CarChat forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ntinental.html

VERY impressed with the car, they really delivered.
Old 10-08-16, 11:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
Very interesting and intriguing.

The past reliability of the Hyundai Genesis has not been report to be as good as Lexus, but will be interesting to see what happens with reliability in upcoming years now that the Genesis line has been spun off from Hyundai.
With the ridiculously generous warranty, I wouldn't be concerned. Besides, Hyundai (and KIA), have placed near the top of the list for reliability in CR and JD Power.
Old 10-08-16, 11:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Let's try to keep the discussions reasonable
Bwahahahaaaaa!!!! Now THAT's funny!
Old 10-08-16, 11:52 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

very true. I assume they are also continuing what Hyundai was doing for the Genesis and Equus, if I remember correctly - which is including a couple years of complimentary maintenance in the sales price..... so if keeping the car 3-5 years, hard to go wrong...

I have test driven the Genesis and Equus - will be interesting to check out the G80 and G90 out of curiosity at some point.

Originally Posted by roadfrog
With the ridiculously generous warranty, I wouldn't be concerned. Besides, Hyundai (and KIA), have placed near the top of the list for reliability in CR and JD Power.
Old 10-08-16, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The LS is a very different car from a Crown Vic. The Crown Vic is BOF, has a live rear axle, really nothing like an LS or any other modern flagship sedan.

The CT6 is a nice car, I've driven it 3 times, but its not on the same level as the LS or the G90, all you have to do is sit in one to see that. The interior just isn't to the same level, there are hard touch plastics, other questionable materials. Its finished like a midsize car (think more comparable to a GS inside). It rides and drives nicely, but not as refined or as smooth and quite as an LS or G90. It has good style I agree, I think its great looking but remember Cadillac has image problems of its own. When I mentioned to several coworkers that I had driven the CT6 and liked it, they all sneered at me, and my wife said she couldn't believe I would consider a Cadillac. They have a stigma of being an old persons poorly made American car. Will that change? Perhaps...they have a better shot than Lincoln lets put it that way.

The CT6 is a good value in the mid 60s, but remember a loaded CT6 is like $85k. The car is just ridiculously overpriced at $85k, and at $65k you can't really get in to one with the TT engine.

If I absolutely could not spend more than $65k I would seriously consider a CT6, I'd much rather have a $69k G90 though, and north of $75k then you're into the "real" cars like the LS, Jaguar XJ, and over $85k you're into the A8L, 7 Series and ultimately the S Class, all of which are considerably superior to the CT6.
Old 10-08-16, 12:18 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Awesome review, thank you for taking the time to write it up. 3 questions:
1) What's the powertrain warranty? Are they still doing something like the 10yr/100k warranty?
2) Did either of the 2 on the lot have a panoramic roof? The Kia K9000 has this so I assume/hope it is in the G85 and G90. That's something I would really like to see as an option in the redesigned LS. I love how allowing that much light in to the entire car "opens" it up more.
3) Do you think you would miss having a V8? I know you spoke highly of the feel of the engine- but to me, I'd be fearful that I would miss the big, heavy smooth power associated with a V8 in a car of that size in certain situations (mainly highway). Without driving it over the course of a couple of weeks I will never know.

There is no doubt in my mind this is a very viable option and Genesis is going to be a formidable competitor. For me, the value prop seems very compelling. I'm mentally over the fact this is a "Hyundai" and erased memories of the brand of the '80's...but as noted by SW and many others in the review, I can't quite get over the front grille. I can't decide if it looks like a Ford or a Chrysler, but it doesn't seem to match with other design areas of the front (headlights, fog lights) nor the rear of the car. I'm a sales rep and drive a ton- so I depreciate my cars way faster than normal folks (and also can't lease as I sometimes drive 40k/year). As such, I never buy new and hold onto cars for a long time, so I wonder if this look will date itself faster than the classic designs of LS's, S class, etc. I also wonder how these will hold up when they are 5-7 years old (or more) - with rattles, road noise, etc. I know how Lexus holds up in that category which is one of the main reasons I am so incredibly loyal to the brand.

Overall, an incredibly impressive car. Can't wait to see and drive one for myself...even though I'm not in the market!
Old 10-08-16, 12:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
About those Crown Vic's. The LS has the tech, but the basics are very similar to the Crown Vic. and if you were in Europe with a Crown Vic you would have to have affluence because they don't come cheap. Easier to buy a used LS. The newer LS460 you revere so highly is near free in the UK. LOL
http://www.carscoops.com/2011/07/for...tors-find.html
http://www.parkers.co.uk/lexus/ls/for-sale/

The CT6 looks good and has commanding proportions without installing an audi-esque grill and uses LED lighting in a stunning fashion/no copy-cat work. Cadillac style is a thing that is part of their pedigree, H.O.S.'s owned them all over the world as well as celebs. It was once inseparable from the "American Dream"; a significant status symbol. Maybe you don't understand but Cadillac is a special product to some of the people who grew up touring in them on vacations
Let's try to keep the discussions reasonable
Steve, fantastic review!

​superdenso:
​​​​​​​I have yet to hear anyone deny the fact the the CT6 is a very visually compelling vehicle. And indeed the brand possess a tremendous amount of cache. However, over the years, and still given its lineage, let's not act like Cadillac is a brand thatvjas been suffering from an overall sales standpoint, due to a myriad of things, but mainly due to its resale value and it's become known as being a high price-point but problematic, low resale value, quick to appear dated line of cars. The Escapade is what really keeps them afloat, along with scattered purchases of the former SRX and CTS.
The nostalgia factor is undeniable regarding Cadillac, without a question. And there is a demographic of consumers that are in search of that very thing; awaiting a brand like Cadillac to bring forth a product that is safe, tech loaded, great interior and nestalgic yet cutting edge exterior. But people want something for their money also. I believe that due to the advent of marketing, social media and the emergence of automotive companies trying their hand at upper end products/higher quality - Mazda, Hyundai/Kia to name a few, people don't necessarily feel as though they need to settle. They're more apt to take their time and research what their their automotive investment will yield to them over the course of time. And it's not largely about who's seen driving them, or who gets driven around in one. On a more grand scale, it's about quality and value, and we as consumers simply hope that the time, innovation and effort had been placed equally into not only the reliability factor, but fit and finish as well as interior/exterior appeal.
Old 10-08-16, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Awesome review, thank you for taking the time to write it up. 3 questions:
Glad you liked it!

1) What's the powertrain warranty? Are they still doing something like the 10yr/100k warranty?
Yep, still has the 10 year/10k powertrain warranty. you also get 3 years/36k scheduled maintenance with service valet, all your nav updates for 3 years, 3 years free XM radio and traffic, etc.

2) Did either of the 2 on the lot have a panoramic roof? The Kia K9000 has this so I assume/hope it is in the G85 and G90. That's something I would really like to see as an option in the redesigned LS. I love how allowing that much light in to the entire car "opens" it up more.
No, thats one other omission. No panoramic roof option on the G90. You can get one on the G80.

3) Do you think you would miss having a V8? I know you spoke highly of the feel of the engine- but to me, I'd be fearful that I would miss the big, heavy smooth power associated with a V8 in a car of that size in certain situations (mainly highway). Without driving it over the course of a couple of weeks I will never know.
Powerwise with the V6 on this car you won't miss the power, the 3.0T in the G90 delivers the exact same power figures my AWD V8 LS460 does. If you do want the V8, its only $1,500 more...I would probably just get the V8.

I do think I would miss the smoothness of the V8, but the V6 G90 I drove was pretty close.

I can't quite get over the front grille. I can't decide if it looks like a Ford or a Chrysler, but it doesn't seem to match with other design areas of the front (headlights, fog lights) nor the rear of the car. I'm a sales rep and drive a ton- so I depreciate my cars way faster than normal folks (and also can't lease as I sometimes drive 40k/year). As such, I never buy new and hold onto cars for a long time, so I wonder if this look will date itself faster than the classic designs of LS's, S class, etc. I also wonder how these will hold up when they are 5-7 years old (or more) - with rattles, road noise, etc. I know how Lexus holds up in that category which is one of the main reasons I am so incredibly loyal to the brand.
If you're going to buy and keep it, you may still find more value spending more for an LS or other established flagship car.

One point I made in the other thread is that one of the things thats nice about driving a Lexus or a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi, is that even when they get older they still have a panache and a prestige about them, so if you're driving a 10 year old Lexus LS for instance, it still gets a certain level of respect. You don't feel awkward rolling up to a nice restaurant or a country club or a high end clients office in it. With some of these lesser brands, that may not be the case.

Thats why Genesis is focusing on leasing and I think thats smart. The guy told me the leases will be so good almost nobody will choose to buy. The numbers aren't out yet.

When you notice all the goodies are for 3 years...thats the length of your typical lease, not an accident.
Old 10-08-16, 02:24 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's funny, but on my way to lunch today, I saw new neighbors with TWO of these, and one had a hitch with a trailer on it lol. They were identical in color, that grey/silver and they were unloading. Just moved in apparently and I thought of this post as I drove by.

They looked nice.

I was going to stop and take a picture, but I thought that would be weird-looking of me snooping around and snapping photos while they unload, lol. I'll try and take pictures later, hopefully the trailer is still attached!

Also, since I got my car, two brand new LS' are driving around. A silver one and now one that looks identical to mine! Dang it, lol, too small of a neighborhood for three of these cars, haha.
Old 10-08-16, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Two G90s? You sure? They've only sold like 10 in the whole country
Old 10-08-16, 03:01 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, not sure actually. I saw the "Bentley" Genesis badge and they both looked brand, spanking new so I assumed they were it.

If I drive today and they are there I'll take pictures for sure.
Old 10-08-16, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Hmm, not sure actually. I saw the "Bentley" Genesis badge and they both looked brand, spanking new so I assumed they were it.

If I drive today and they are there I'll take pictures for sure.
Probably G80s...
Old 10-08-16, 03:09 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well to be frank, they could very well be lol. In all honesty, I don't have very good Genesis car identification by sight yet. But they did look large.

In any case, I'll take a closer look for sure as they are moving in.
Old 10-08-16, 05:54 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does genesis hold its value? I know I bought my 5 years old 460 for 33% of its new price
Old 10-09-16, 05:11 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If anybody's interested I posted a review in the CarChat forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ntinental.html

VERY impressed with the car, they really delivered.
Nice write up, I'm surprised the V6 performed so well in such a big car, but it's a nice looking car, no doubt. I have a friend that has an older Genesis, the thing has held up pretty well over the years...no major issues...has the V6 (but it's a smaller car than the G90). I had a chance to put it up on a lift and take a look under it, they are very similar to the 460...front suspension design is very similar, the rear too. Although they managed to make there's without the control arm issues (didn't see any cracking at 115,000 miles on my friend's).

Quick Reply: Drove a Genesis G90 today, thoughts vs the LS460