LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear-ended!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 10:48 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident but the good news is everyone is okay.
Old 10-10-16, 11:36 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry about the damage, glad all are OK. I've been lucky, 6 months ago I was shopping around a different body shops for some painting repair on my pick-up truck. I just happen to have all my son's BMX stuff in the bed. When the body shop manager saw the BMX stuff, he had been looking to get into it with his son, the same age as my son, so he had a bunch of questions and I was all too happy to answer. I invited him out to a practice, let his son ride my son's back-up bike, all went well and the rest is history. They do great work, and now that he and I are buddies, he does me right on repairs. I've had 3 or 4 done with him now. Plus if it's just bumpers, he likes it when I carry in the bumper for those guys. No labor to remove, or mask off, just repair if needed and paint away. It has worked out great. And his son still rides my son's back-up bike!

Jason
Old 10-11-16, 01:20 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Man really sorry to hear you got hit. Glad everyone is ok.
Old 10-11-16, 11:58 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Any new updates, CRowe?
Old 10-12-16, 11:43 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey everyone!
My apologies for not keeping up with this thread. I've been posting in other threads and totally forgot to keep this updated.
Before I get into it, thank you to all who have taken a few moments to post their sentiments, I greatly appreciate it. Some really, really great people here in our small neck of the woods!
So, the update...

I called my insurance and they initiated the call to the other insurance company last Friday the 7th, to start the claim process. She called me back about an hour later and provided me with a claim number, direct contact number to the other insurance company and told me that I should here something from the other company sometime Monday the 10th to set up a day and time for the adjuster to come and look at my car, and if I don't hear anything by the end the business day, to call them directly the next day to set this up.

Monday came and went, no call.

So the first thing Tuesday morning, I called and left a voicemail. She called back a few hours later, and informed me that the policy was started early August and was canceled by mid-September..., so what does that mean for me?? Drum roll please!?!?! I was hit by an uninsured motorist. Awesome!

I then called my insurance agency back and spoke with my agent to let her know what I had just learned. So due to the fact I have uninsured motorist coverage, I have to file it against myself, but the company will go after the people who hit me and I do not have to pay a deductible.

I received a call from a claims rep just earlier today and he left me a message on my cell. I called him back and left him a voice mail, and am now awaiting to hear back from him to learn what they'd like me to do next.

I already have a body shop I've selected - highly rated and regarded and through speaking to them a few times on the phone previously, they seem like great people.

I'll attach a few pics of the damage soon, but again, its pretty minor (from what I can see)-scratches and a few dents. Either way, gotta get it fixed!

Updates when I get'em! Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-12-16, 06:28 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yikes again. When it rains it pours. Hopefully you're back up and running soon.
Old 10-14-16, 02:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Update:
So the adjuster came to my home yesterday morning to take photos and do the report.

Upon completing everything, he tells me that he'll be contacting the body shop I chose and will be sending them the check directly, and that when I pick it up, all i'll have to pay is the deductible...
I replied: "Im sorry?? My agent told me that because I have uninsured motorist coverage, I will not have to pay a deductible." He goes on to tell me that, that isn't what the claims gentleman to him and that he will get back in contact with him and when he hears back, he'll get back in touch with me.

He calls me later to inform me that, yes, I do have uninsured motorist coverage, but I don't have uninsured collision, so I have to pay the $500 and try to recoup it through, more or less, a court process.

I was not happy to hear this, so I called my agent yesterday and left a message, this morning, this afternoon and just now and I finally got her.
I'll be honest and say that typically getting in contact with them is never an issue, so I thought it strange that no one has called me back.

When I spoke to my agent just now, she tells me that when I spoke with her the other day, the screen wasn't all the way loaded, and that the coverage that I would have needed to not pay a deductible is on my other 2 cars, but not the LS, and that she can make the change effective immediately for the LS.

Angry and puzzled, I told her that when I called to add the LS, I was told that I wanted the exact coverage that I had on my other 2 vehicles, including uninsured motorist, as my wife was rear-ended a few years prior by none other than an uninsured motorist.

She then makes a side comment by saying that why its important to read the policy renewals when they come in the mail..I said "Excuse me??" She then back tracked and said that she'll have to dig a little bit and see what the policy was when I first added the car, and she'll get back to me by either later today or Monday. Meanwhile she is sending an letter to the other drivers address, asking them to provide other proof of insurance if they have any, and if there isn't a response, it'll move to small claims court.

This is getting utterly ridiculous.
Old 10-14-16, 02:08 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Wow, that's the pits, CRowe. Unbelievable that you would have to shell out anything for something completely not your fault. I had no idea that there are two types of non-insured motorist insurance. I will have to double check our "full" coverage. Out of curiosity, what are the laws in Indiana regarding driving without insurance for the other party?

Last edited by FatherTo1; 10-15-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-14-16, 02:46 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have public auto insurance system, so making profit is not its most important goal. My $2 million liability $100 deductible insurance on my LS460 cost $1000. We insured on the car, not the drivers. Driving without the car insured is illegal. $60 a year for driver license. You pay $100 only if it is your fault in the accident.
Old 10-15-16, 05:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Sounds to me like your agent owes you $500.
Old 10-15-16, 11:09 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

CRowe14

I had a funny feeling when your posting said 15 Oct ? It's like the commercials on TV say

They directed you to page 22. And did page 22 say "Great News your covered" No it said Blah Blah Blah.. Or the other one that your agent says you selected the wrong plan when in fact you selected the wrong company.

Sorry to hear that is the direction this BS has taken.

Dennis
Old 10-18-16, 11:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Steve:
That's the direction/action Im taking. There is no way that I will be paying anything.
I wrote a very detailed email to my agent yesterday morning explaining my stance, why and when my policy was altered and without my permission/notification.

DJWLDW:
Thank you for the kind words. This, thus far, has been a joke. As I stated, I wrote am email for documentation purposes yesterday morning and have yet to hear anything back, as well as left a vm for the claims department yesterday morning, and they have yet to get back with me either. I just called claims back and left another voicemail.

Looks like when this is all over and done with, I'll be switching insurance companies.

Updates as I have them to share.
Old 10-18-16, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Steve:
That's the direction/action Im taking. There is no way that I will be paying anything.
I wrote a very detailed email to my agent yesterday morning explaining my stance, why and when my policy was altered and without my permission/notification.
And these kinds of things happen, what matters is that they step up and support you. Thats what an AGENT is, they're supposed to stick up for you. If they're a smart agent they would see an opportunity to make a negative into a positive. "I'm not sure how this happened, but it shouldn't have happened, not to worry we're going to stand behind you and make sure you don't have to pay that deductible. If we can't get it from the other company we will pay it".

As an example, last year my wife dropped her phone and shattered the screen as we were leaving for the first beach trip with our twins. She was really upset because she wouldn't have her phone to take pictures of them with. When we got there I called Verizon to get an insurance replacement overnighted to us at the condo we were staying at. Well...somebody had removed the insurance coverage from her line (I certainly didn't), and we weren't covered. Not eligible for an upgrade, we were looking at $700 full retail to replace her phone. No upgrade on my line either, and my line still had the insurance.

Did they leave me in the cold? No. They accelerated her upgrade so we could buy her a new phone for $30 more than the deductible on the insurance, and they waived the upgrade fee so it would be a wash. I was absolutely stunned...overnighted it to the condo for free too.

If VERIZON can treat a customer that way, certainly your insurance agent should.

Looks like when this is all over and done with, I'll be switching insurance companies.
If they make it right I'd stick with them. The fear that you won't anyways is what keeps people from going above and beyond so we gotta nurture that where we can!

I had an old client of mine who works for Sprint call me a couple months ago and she could cut my bill in half, I stayed with Verizon because they did that for me.
Old 10-18-16, 06:19 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Your story had me thinking... you know what I love...every time you call these places it warns you this call is going to be recorded, but when YOU want the recording they don't have it but I'm sure if they wanted to use it against you it would miraculously appear. I have had so many companies I do business with give me misinformation and I ask for the recording. It would certainly be helpful in your case. Sounds like the company needs to be held accountable for leading you on to believe you had no out of pocket cost and then changing their tune...
Old 10-18-16, 07:12 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Your story had me thinking... you know what I love...every time you call these places it warns you this call is going to be recorded, but when YOU want the recording they don't have it but I'm sure if they wanted to use it against you it would miraculously appear. I have had so many companies I do business with give me misinformation and I ask for the recording. It would certainly be helpful in your case. Sounds like the company needs to be held accountable for leading you on to believe you had no out of pocket cost and then changing their tune...
That is a great point about the recorded customer calls, LS430FL!

Quick Reply: Rear-ended!!