LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cadillac Style-CT6

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 12:32 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Trans failures avg mileage is over 100k miles. This is the support you want to use? Lol. FYI-Honda built and supplied 3.5v6 engines to GM for use of the Escalade ext silhouette...they must do something right

http://repairpal.com/automatic-transmission-issues-458
This is probably going to long and drawn out (my apologies, the cliff note version is available on Amazon). Ready? Here it goes...

I'm a huge Honda fan. Owned some, worked on many...have two close friends in the Honda industry (service manager and a tech).

Honda is still a good company, I believe that, but no longer the legendary over engineered company they used to be. The transmission failures over the last decade left a sour taste in a lot of owner's mouths. This was a problem. A big problem. Almost everyone that bought an Accord, Acura, Ridgeline, Odyssey...were out several thousands of dollars due to transmission failure. That's a fact. They didn't rebuild these units at the dealer...they were told to not open them up...they were put into crates and shipped back to the factory. Factory remanufactured units were dropped in. They even tried an external filter/cooler at first, which didn't work, to ease some of the failures that were coming their way. They ended up extending the warranty to 120,000 miles, I believe. And there's a class action suits against Honda for their transmission failures.

As of right now Honda continues to have major issues with their vehicles, here's the list...control arm failures on the Odyssey (techs love this job because Honda actually pays them pretty well, and it takes no time to blast through the job with a sawzall). They are having piston ring problems (techs don't like this one because it doesn't pay enough to handle this job, even experienced techs are crying foul on this job, they are getting screwed). CVT transmission problems, updates and general dissatisfaction. Airbag recalls...driver and passenger side.

This is what I normally see with Honda...

Subrame/cradle rot. The cradle rots out on Honda Accord models 1998-2004. Big big issue. All those cars driving around the road right now have a rotted cradle and the front suspension bolts right to it. The evaporator hose drips right onto the frame and rots out. Big big issue, the cars are now a hazard to drive. And to replace that cradle?? Lol!! I've done it! Royal royal pain in the rear. Major major job.

Control arms and axles. This brand burns through them like butter.

Transmssions. Like I said, almost every Honda Accord has a remanufactured unit sitting in it now.

Vtec solenoid failure.

Evap canister and evap vent solenoid failure. They put the canister right in a spot where it gets a routine bath in road salt.

EGR tube failure. Older Accords had flow problems due to the EGR tubes being very narrow and clogging up with carbon.

Idle hunting. These things love to idle poorly when there is a problem, usually from low coolant levels our IAC motor issues. There is a wonderful coolant bypass tube on the back of their engines and the o-rings give way...lots of fun to replace. And the hoses to the IAC spring leaks like it's their job.

Brakes!! Oh my god the brakes!! Calipers and rotor's. Calipers and rotor's. They stick, they hang up....constantly. They must have the worst calipers on the business. And the rotor's are JUNK.

Leaks. You can find leaks on Hondas rather easily, just look underneath them. No longer are these things air tight. They use Honda RTV on the pan rather than a gasket. Junk. They are known to leak 15,000 miles after they are made. And the Transmssions leak right at the seem where they are bolted together.

CRV rear differentials. If you don't change the fluid in those rear differential by 30,000 miles?? Bye bye! Say hello to a new differential. And you had better change that diff fluid every single year.

​​​​​​​I could go on for days here. I never mentioned check engine lights...misfires, evap, Vtec codes, tranny codes, abs codes. And these are very good cars, believe me, they are. I actually love them, but they are not what they used to be.
Old 10-29-16, 04:51 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

First, all the comments (minus the hate) are welcome. Don't take my position, which may be contrary to yours, to mean I do not like you on any person level. I do understand that some people can't have a discussion without getting angry. If that's your style feel free to blow the "gasket".

If the LS is all you ever thought it should be, please, send a letter to Toyota and tell them you think the valve spring rebuild, control arm issues, wind noise, roof trim flying off, door hinge sticking, clicking brake actuator and not so sharp handling were perfect. Tell them you could understand a shell change but all the other issue you would not mind having each of them in your next LS.

Post that letter to this forum when your done if your enthusiastic about the LS