LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cadillac Style-CT6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
After test driving the CT6 & 2017 Continental., I'd choose the Continental, infact I most likely will purchase several Continentals, to replace my 375/400K mile 2011 Town Cars.
I'd buy a G90 without even test driving it. I know it's a far superior product to the CT6 & Continental.
In my business, I charge more for my Hyundai Equus, than I do the Town Cars.
For your business I too would buy the Continental (I drove it too), for myself I'd buy the CT6.

You should definitely go drive a G90
Old 10-08-16, 03:13 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to test drive a G90, I'm already sold on it
Old 10-25-16, 03:17 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
My brother in law is a service writer for Cadillac, I sent him your post...he nearly laughed his brains out. He said if you want to realize what Cadillac "quality" is like, you need buy one. Then you'll see exactly what a Cadillac is...and what you have is your LS.

He said be prepared for...your heated steering wheel to stop working, your engine guzzling oil before throwing your timing chain, be prepared for half your dash to not light up, expect to hear creaks and rattles from your dash (but they'll never be able to fix it), look out for many many "updates" that will reduce your engine's horsepower and limit your oil life monitor...also fully expect every ****, button and switch to need replacement, shortly after the finish wears off (which won't be long). Do you like check engine lights? Good, because expect that to come on every other month. And do you like rental cars? Excellent! Because Cadillac has some issues that techs can't seem to figure out right away...he said the wiring was an afterthought...lowest bidder...the sheathing has a way of rubbing off and grounding wires in places that are nearly impossible to find - which is why the cars sit there apart on the shop floor for days.

Please, by all means give them a try.

And I don't mean to change the subject, but I have a friend who is a BMW factory rep...see him two or three times a year. Last night he told me that BMW puts a life expectency on their cars, it's in writing...it's 100,000 miles. They actually expect their cars to last only 100,000 miles - which I found to be unbelievable - so I questioned him on it. He said with BMW's maintenance schedule, BMW believes/expects their own cars not to last past 100,000 miles. And they don't care. Don't care at all. My buddy says there's at least two engine jobs at every BMW dealer every day. The engines aren't making it past 50,000 miles.

I'll take control arm "problems" at 100,000.
I have a 2010 Cadillac CTS wagon that I bought used in 2011 for $28k, which was a nice discount from its original $45k sticker price. I was looking for something with some cargo hauling ability that wasn't an SUV, and this was a nice car at a good price.

It's at 85,000 miles now, and from reading about some owners' experiences, I've been lucky. I've had to replace two wheel bearings and the alternator. I've run all my previous cars to around 135-140,000 miles, and I've never had to replace a wheel bearing or alternator on any of them. GM knows the wheel bearings suck - they were covered under warranty until the 2010 model. I guess the '08s and '09s were costing them money.

At this point I'm not putting as many miles on as I used to (only 6600 miles so far this year), but I'm debating whether to hold on to the CTS for a year or two, or just go buy a CPO GS or LS now, while I can still get some money out of the Caddy.

Much as I like the reviews of the new CTS V-Sport, I don't think I'd trust GM enough to buy another car from them.

The pic shows my car just before it was loaded onto the tow truck because of the dead alternator.
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac Style-CT6-img_2727.jpg  
Old 10-26-16, 04:23 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I have a 2010 Cadillac CTS wagon that I bought used in 2011 for $28k, which was a nice discount from its original $45k sticker price. I was looking for something with some cargo hauling ability that wasn't an SUV, and this was a nice car at a good price.

It's at 85,000 miles now, and from reading about some owners' experiences, I've been lucky. I've had to replace two wheel bearings and the alternator. I've run all my previous cars to around 135-140,000 miles, and I've never had to replace a wheel bearing or alternator on any of them. GM knows the wheel bearings suck - they were covered under warranty until the 2010 model. I guess the '08s and '09s were costing them money.

At this point I'm not putting as many miles on as I used to (only 6600 miles so far this year), but I'm debating whether to hold on to the CTS for a year or two, or just go buy a CPO GS or LS now, while I can still get some money out of the Caddy.

Much as I like the reviews of the new CTS V-Sport, I don't think I'd trust GM enough to buy another car from them.

The pic shows my car just before it was loaded onto the tow truck because of the dead alternator.
Hello Dave,

I'm no shooting brake fan, but the Caddy is nice! I hear you bashing the Caddy for the wheel bearings and alternator, but if you plan on purchasing a used LS maybe you should take a look at the laundry list. I haven't replaced a control arm or door hinges in 26 years. I've done both (& more) on an LS with less than 60K. The silver lining is most of the parts are priced low. Whether it's an LS or a GS I hope you find one that brings you years of enjoyment.
Old 10-26-16, 05:10 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Originally Posted by superdenso
Hello Dave,

I'm no shooting brake fan, but the Caddy is nice! I hear you bashing the Caddy for the wheel bearings and alternator, but if you plan on purchasing a used LS maybe you should take a look at the laundry list. I haven't replaced a control arm or door hinges in 26 years. I've done both (& more) on an LS with less than 60K. The silver lining is most of the parts are priced low. Whether it's an LS or a GS I hope you find one that brings you years of enjoyment.
Yeah, I've seen the issues with door hinges and control arms, but at least those are easily fixed. I've really been lucky with my CTS compared to some people.

My father-in-law bought an '08 CTS sedan the same week I bought my car. The '08s and, to a lesser extent, '09s are not good. His car has been a money pit since he bought it. The most recent problem was the high-pressure fuel pump giving up on the highway at 70mph. That fix cost $975 at my mechanic's shop. The car has always had electrical issues, such as the rear passenger window rolling down by itself one cold December day, and then refusing to go back up until three days later. You just never know what's coming next. The car only has 50k miles and is for sale now.
Old 10-26-16, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There's no comparison in reliability between the LS and a Cadillac Dave lol, regardless of what a few malcontents might tell you. The LS is one of the most reliable cars in the world, and certainly the most reliable car in the segment. Just because they have a couple of typical problems (door hinges are not really one of them, control arms are on early cars but it's overstated) and a particular unit might have some things that are atypical doesn't mean that all of the statistics and evidence don't show the car is exceptionally reliable.

If I were to buy basically any other car I would expect a reduction in reliability.
Old 10-26-16, 06:54 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There's no comparison in reliability between the LS and a Cadillac Dave lol, regardless of what a few malcontents might tell you. The LS is one of the most reliable cars in the world, and certainly the most reliable car in the segment. Just because they have a couple of typical problems (door hinges are not really one of them, control arms are on early cars but it's overstated) and a particular unit might have some things that are atypical doesn't mean that all of the statistics and evidence don't show the car is exceptionally reliable.

If I were to buy basically any other car I would expect a reduction in reliability.
I agree, and I've read that Lexus fixed those problems in later model years. Cadillac's response to wheel hub failures was to remove warranty coverage. That says a lot about their business model. They did extend coverage for timing chain failures for some '08 and '09 cars, but still.
Old 10-26-16, 07:53 AM
Nex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave GM a try awhile back. Swore never again.
Old 10-26-16, 08:13 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

You know, I think the did an excellent job, albeit years ago, with the older 2000-2005 Tahoe's. In my neck of the woods, they are still all over the place and hold up relatively well on the exterior.
Often times I see rust on the lower panels, and the interiors, well, at that price point back then, it was way too much plastic that didn't hold up/wear well over time. I believe you were simply paying a premium to drive a very large SUV. But they were very comfortable and pretty reliable and easy to fix.
I bought an 03 in 06 with 28k on it and it was issue free until 109k miles, loved it!
Now between 109k and 117k when it was sold, I had to replace the water pump, wheel bearing, fuel sensor and something with the e-brake and perhaps a few small things, but I thought overall it performed well. Perhaps not the stuff Lexus' are made of, but not too bad. Then again, I am speaking about a vehicle that is nearly 14 years old.
Old 10-26-16, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Trucks are a different matter. Both GM and Ford have always done a very good job on their full sized trucks. They have to, enterprise users who buy a ton of them, farmers, construction folks, etc won't put up with poor reliability.
Old 10-26-16, 03:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
You know, I think the did an excellent job, albeit years ago, with the older 2000-2005 Tahoe's. In my neck of the woods, they are still all over the place and hold up relatively well on the exterior.
Often times I see rust on the lower panels, and the interiors, well, at that price point back then, it was way too much plastic that didn't hold up/wear well over time. I believe you were simply paying a premium to drive a very large SUV. But they were very comfortable and pretty reliable and easy to fix.
I bought an 03 in 06 with 28k on it and it was issue free until 109k miles, loved it!
Now between 109k and 117k when it was sold, I had to replace the water pump, wheel bearing, fuel sensor and something with the e-brake and perhaps a few small things, but I thought overall it performed well. Perhaps not the stuff Lexus' are made of, but not too bad. Then again, I am speaking about a vehicle that is nearly 14 years old.
I agree the Tahoe with the 5.3 LS engines were/are excellent. Their cars in those years...the Malibu and Impala were pretty bad. Both had numerous problems that could nickel and dime you to death...steering racks went on those cars all the time, control arms too, wheel bearings were a regular occurrence, struts had big problems at the upper bearing mount, water pumps, starters, alternators, and the check engine lights??? My lord!! Misfire heaven! Egr problems, 02 sensors, evap leaks, air pumps, mass air flow. And if you had the 3.3 liter?!?! Intake gaskets every 35,000 miles.
Old 10-26-16, 03:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

maybe you should take a look at the laundry list
LOL. "Laundry List??!!". I don't know who does your laundry, but it must be nice to only have socks and underwear on it.
Old 10-26-16, 03:56 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239

that doesn't sound terrible, but I'd be worried that you're in for much worse shortly. I'd dump it while I could and buy an LS. I was just checking the fluids on mine today, the thing has 138,000 miles and I replaced the coolant last year. In one year of driving and 30,000 miles, I haven't had to add one ounce of coolant. Not announce. I don't think I've ever seen a car do that, usually you'll have to top up a little bit, but it's been nothing. And I usually make it 5,000 miles on an oil change without having to add anything, I don't see many cars that can do that either. The only repairs this car has had in 138,000 miles is $500 worth of control arms and a wheel bearing. That's it. Not one single check engine light in nine years. Crazy.
Old 10-26-16, 04:36 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doublebase
that doesn't sound terrible, but I'd be worried that you're in for much worse shortly. I'd dump it while I could and buy an LS. I was just checking the fluids on mine today, the thing has 138,000 miles and I replaced the coolant last year. In one year of driving and 30,000 miles, I haven't had to add one ounce of coolant. Not announce. I don't think I've ever seen a car do that, usually you'll have to top up a little bit, but it's been nothing. And I usually make it 5,000 miles on an oil change without having to add anything, I don't see many cars that can do that either. The only repairs this car has had in 138,000 miles is $500 worth of control arms and a wheel bearing. That's it. Not one single check engine light in nine years. Crazy.
I saw that Lexus/Toyota were #1 for reliability on the Consumer Reports list. I know that's based on their readership, but still, it certainly gives me a lot of confidence in the cars.
Old 10-27-16, 05:58 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

@roadfrog: you do my laundry lol/so here's some laundry that you can put some extra starch on

This is a post about how reliable the 13's+ are:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-updates.html

I keep reading these are few and infrequent, or it's not everybody, or it's blown out of proportion. Give me a break. The 13's+ are no better than the first LS. It's a beautiful and reliable car, but it is not perfect and repairs are required.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Style-CT6