LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

clean MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 12:40 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default clean MAF sensor

How do I take off the MAF sensor? I tried to pull off the wire socket and can't
left MAF

right MAF
Old 10-01-16, 12:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Very simple. Just unplug it and remove the two screws holding the sensor in place. You can spray some silicone lube or similar onto the socket to help get it slid off. Obviously you heave to depress the tang while pulling.
Old 10-01-16, 01:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Let me give you some advice, after you clean the sensor with whatever product you want to use, let it dry before you put it back in. Some mass air flow sensor wires heat up when you turn the car on - to maintain a temperature to the wire - and if it's wet with sensor cleaner they can supposedly burn out. Can't say it's ever happened to me, but I've always been told to watch out for it.

And if you want to know if they're working properly - and you have a scan tool - watch your PIDs...barometer reading (not voltage...switch it to global if you have to). Do a snap shot at WOT, watch the fuel trim, baro should be very close to the actual barometer reading in your area. Do three WOT recordings, if it's at or very close to the actual barometer reading in your area?? Your mass air flow sensors are fine. If the sensors are fine and your fuel trim is off by more than 10%, I'd check for leaks along the air snorkel, air filter box, sensor gaskets, etc. Also debris can read havoc to mass air flow sensors...which is why it's good to clean them. Some sensors have grates that direct air flow to the sensors...quick lube stations are famous for screwing up air filter boxes after they sell air cleaners...leaving all sorts of leaves in those grates causing all sorts of problems.

But a dirty sensor is by far the number one problem with mass air flow sensors. Just some useless information, but a lot of people are buying scan tools and you can get a lot of information off the PIDs and fuel trim.
Old 09-29-20, 04:43 PM
arjohn1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Let me give you some advice, after you clean the sensor with whatever product you want to use, let it dry before you put it back in. Some mass air flow sensor wires heat up when you turn the car on - to maintain a temperature to the wire - and if it's wet with sensor cleaner they can supposedly burn out. Can't say it's ever happened to me, but I've always been told to watch out for it.

And if you want to know if they're working properly - and you have a scan tool - watch your PIDs...barometer reading (not voltage...switch it to global if you have to). Do a snap shot at WOT, watch the fuel trim, baro should be very close to the actual barometer reading in your area. Do three WOT recordings, if it's at or very close to the actual barometer reading in your area?? Your mass air flow sensors are fine. If the sensors are fine and your fuel trim is off by more than 10%, I'd check for leaks along the air snorkel, air filter box, sensor gaskets, etc. Also debris can read havoc to mass air flow sensors...which is why it's good to clean them. Some sensors have grates that direct air flow to the sensors...quick lube stations are famous for screwing up air filter boxes after they sell air cleaners...leaving all sorts of leaves in those grates causing all sorts of problems.

But a dirty sensor is by far the number one problem with mass air flow sensors. Just some useless information, but a lot of people are buying scan tools and you can get a lot of information off the PIDs and fuel trim.
HELP! My mechanic broke both MAF Pigtail Connectors on my 2010 LS460. How can I get 2 new connectors. Don't know the sku/item# Any advice would help!
He put come type of silicone gel on it. I'm getting P0171 on Bank 1 Running Lean. Can Smell gas after being parkered.

Again, any advice is much appreciated!

Old 09-29-20, 05:01 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 630 Posts

It is very simple. Call your local dealer, give them the VIN. The dealer will find a correct part number and order parts for you if you ask. I have done similar things a number of times for my injectors and throttle position connectors. For your information, parts of wiring are listed in a separate from parts catalog and usually cannot be found online. Expect the price to be $10-20 per piece if you are in US.
Old 09-29-20, 05:42 PM
arjohn1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
It is very simple. Call your local dealer, give them the VIN. The dealer will find a correct part number and order parts for you if you ask. I have done similar things a number of times for my injectors and throttle position connectors. For your information, parts of wiring are listed in a separate from parts catalog and usually cannot be found online. Expect the price to be $10-20 per piece if you are in US.
Thanks for your replay. I wish it was that simple. I gave my VIN and told a 2010 LS460 only sells the entire harness. Any suggestions? Do you knor the part #. I understand that 2007-2017 is the same pigtail connector.

Thanks gain!
Old 09-29-20, 05:47 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 630 Posts

Call a different dealer. Parts can be mailed if necessary.

I know some connectors come only as a part of harness, I am not sure if it is the case. Try junk yards, you might get lucky.