LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rust!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 07:39 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carbon fibre is very expensive and only be used on $100k+ cars. Is it still a labour intensive process?

i know A8, Ford F-150 all use aluminum body now. I think you can still use high density steel beam inside to protect the driver compartment. That way also save gas too
Old 10-15-16, 02:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Got the car back today. Wow....what a stellar job these guys did. While removing the obvious rust, they also found some more inside the wheel well lining and removed that as well. total cost: 840 bucks taxes in. Very happy.

The paint is impeccable and looks like new. I'll post a pic later when this Typhoon that is coming in the next few hours, passes.
Old 10-16-16, 05:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Got the car back today. Wow....what a stellar job these guys did. While removing the obvious rust, they also found some more inside the wheel well lining and removed that as well. total cost: 840 bucks taxes in. Very happy.

The paint is impeccable and looks like new. I'll post a pic later when this Typhoon that is coming in the next few hours, passes.
That's excellent, glad it worked out nice for you, it's hard to match colors and find a good body shop.
Old 10-17-16, 07:25 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Good to hear that, welding the metal + fixed some extra unseen rust + good paint job = $750. Wow, you are a lucky man.

I will get my car back from the body shop this week. The work is not as complex as yours. New front quarter panel, front bumper painted and installed, new headlight unit installed. However, I will keep my expectation low and maybe good thing will come as surprise.
Old 10-17-16, 10:04 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

This is excellent! I am glad it turned out well and look forward to seeing the photo(s). I love it not only when the job is done right, but also when folks are thorough and detail-oriented (e.g., their tackling the additional rust).
Old 10-18-16, 08:06 AM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't Lexus offer protection against "outer body rust through?" Some manufacturers offer this for up to 10 from original in service date. An extended family member of mine had a similar issue years ago, and the manufacturer "footed" the bill for repair. Although,it was a GM product.
Old 10-18-16, 11:44 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vicqlo
Doesn't Lexus offer protection against "outer body rust through?" Some manufacturers offer this for up to 10 from original in service date. An extended family member of mine had a similar issue years ago, and the manufacturer "footed" the bill for repair. Although,it was a GM product.
Lexus Rust protection is for rust created by manufacture defect, not for rust created from regular salt corrosion.
Old 10-18-16, 04:40 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Lexus Rust protection is for rust created by manufacture defect, not for rust created from regular salt corrosion.
Just wondering, how would you differentiate between the two ??
Old 10-19-16, 12:47 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

You or the dealer report it to Lexus and It will be decided by them. Usually they will have very strict rules for that
Old 10-19-16, 12:53 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

happen to find a pic showing some rust on my 06' 430 in 2011. The rust all the sudden showed up. Took me back and forth 4 times in a body shop to fix it right
Old 10-19-16, 03:53 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, if a Lexus will rust through in 10 years or less, Lexus should pay. Not only Lexus. Any manufacturer. Corrosion protection (IMO) means that the body was "treated" correctly during the prep process when it was being made. It should not matter if the car was subjected to road salt, or salt from the ocean. Manufacturers know that automobiles will be subjected to these types of situations from time to time, or on a more regular basis. Keeping in mind, that owners' maintain their vehicle correctly. i.e. regular thorough washing. So, how can they determine who is responsible? Doesn't seem right to me.