LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Longevity of the 460

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 01:43 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah sure wish they built them like they used to LOL
lol! Yes, but we don't want to say that out loud.
Old 09-27-16, 02:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
What a joke, I can't believe they would limit access. Do you have a Canada Lexus site?
Nope. Privacy laws I believe.

MRDos: Thank you for posting the info!

I'm not at all surprised by this info. This is the most reliable, solid and drama-free car I've ever owned. Looks like I'll be hangin' on to her for a good while longer......

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-27-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 03:50 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's mighty impressive. Other than the wheel speed sensor failing, nothing out of the ordinary other than normal wear and tear.

That car averaged over 31,000 miles per year. You would think more mechanical parts would start failing with that much use.

Heck, my Acura's transmission was failing at 100k miles. Had the AC replaced, the propellor shaft was starting to whine and undoubdetedly on the brink of failure, etc.

Old 09-27-16, 03:57 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Playing devil's advocate, it's possible that the owner went to an independent shop for any major work so this may not tell the whole story.
Old 09-27-16, 04:26 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Playing devil's advocate, it's possible that the owner went to an independent shop for any major work so this may not tell the whole story.
Absolutely possible, however, the visits are very routine. He (or she) was averaging between 4-5 thousand miles every month at one point and they all seem to be documented through the Lexus Dealership. I commute from Milwaukee to O'Hare in Chicago, which is roughly 148 miles round trip. I'm averaging about 3100 miles a month. We'll see how far I can get my '01. I have 133K on it right now...

Great conversation guys! I'll definitely post the auction results. Occasionally, the cars will have a reserve which does not get met, but usually the dealerships just want to move them on...
Old 09-27-16, 05:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks about the same as any other high mileage Toyota. Perhaps a little bit worse. Would like to see the costs of the services and replacement.

I wonder if this LS was an airport limo or something?
Old 09-27-16, 06:36 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey fellas. I got 337,000 trouble free miles out of my GS 350 and counting every day. It's always been dealer maintained or maintained by me using strictly Geniune Toyota Parts! It's all about the maintenance. Keep the car running right and it will keep running right for years. I never had oil consumption, leaks or anything major go wrong. Not even one single sensor.... Now that I think about, the daytime running lights are the original ones!
Old 09-27-16, 06:55 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

People always seem to say if you maintain your car it will run a long time without problems. This is so overblown. Yes it matters but today's maintainence demands are so low that it isn't a big factor. You can maintain a German car every day of your life and it's going to still be a POS and things will fail all the time. A Toyota isn't the only car that is almost bulletproof but it is number one. Most parts failures are non serviceable items.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 09-28-16 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 05:27 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Nope. Privacy laws I believe.

Actually I do have a Lexus Drivers account with 2 of our 3 LSs registered. The key is the the car has to have been serviced at least once in a US dealership. Since we go to FL almost twice a year, the 2009 and 2010 are on file. Our "new" 2012 was serviced once already and should be visible, but trying to register it I get an error. sigh....
Old 09-28-16, 08:26 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sapstar66
Actually I do have a Lexus Drivers account with 2 of our 3 LSs registered. The key is the the car has to have been serviced at least once in a US dealership. Since we go to FL almost twice a year, the 2009 and 2010 are on file. Our "new" 2012 was serviced once already and should be visible, but trying to register it I get an error. sigh....
Hmmm interesting, because I can't register my car on there. It doesn't accept the VIN as "valid" and I assumed it had to do with it being a Canadian VIN. Same with trying to check for recalls.....it only works on the Canadian Lexus site, and the Canadian site, does not have an equivalent service for checking on service history. I was able to get all of my cars service history from a dealership who printed it out and presenting it to me after blacking out personal information.
Old 09-28-16, 08:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarKnight

I know what your saying and I would agree except that he was even getting oil changes from the dealership and not a cheap oil change chain that requires no reservation. Seemed that the service was quite regular and nothing was pointed out by the dealer of other issues that needed attention during his services.
Old 09-28-16, 10:37 AM
DA51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus did their best effort in 1992. SC400-photo taken several years ago. Vehicle is registered in CA and the engine still passes CA state Emission Test.
Attached Thumbnails Longevity of the 460-img_8516.jpg  
Old 09-28-16, 10:42 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

No results posted yet. I'm at work and keeping an eye on it. They did post pictures of the car finally...
It's in good shape. With all the driving I do, my bumper cover is starting to get marks from road debris hitting it and the leading edge of the hood has a lot of marks from debris, but this 460 looks surprisingly clean.
Attached Thumbnails Longevity of the 460-2008-460.jpg   Longevity of the 460-460-hood.jpg   Longevity of the 460-460-odo.jpg   Longevity of the 460-460-int.jpg  

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 09-28-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 11:28 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Hmmm interesting, because I can't register my car on there. It doesn't accept the VIN as "valid" and I assumed it had to do with it being a Canadian VIN. Same with trying to check for recalls.....it only works on the Canadian Lexus site, and the Canadian site, does not have an equivalent service for checking on service history. I was able to get all of my cars service history from a dealership who printed it out and presenting it to me after blacking out personal information.
My first 2 cars were registered on the site before they renovated it... But I think there is something wrong with the NEW site and it has nothing to do with being a CA car vs a US one, since with the VIN provided by the OPS, I had the same error message as when I tried my 2012
Old 09-28-16, 01:57 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

I own a Honda Accord with 287,000 miles on it...owned it since new...it's my backup vehicle...I've replaced almost every single part in that car. From the tie rods and steering rack, to the control arms and ball joints...sway bars, links, bushings, motor mounts, every gasket imaginable, subframe, gas tank, a half dozen sensors, evap parts, transmission switches, egr, radiator, water pumps, exhaust, brake lines, countless calipers and rotors...and it's the best car I've ever owned.

These LS460's are terrible...I really regret owning one.
loooool I used to own a 2003 Accord and oh man what a nightmare, I think it was the best car Honda has ever made!!

Quick Reply: Longevity of the 460