LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS performed well, now hopefully I can find another...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 01:21 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

It looks borderline that it might be totaled. A lot can depend on how thoroughly the dealer inspects the damage. Get in touch with them first thing Monday and impress upon them how important it is to you that they write up every possible cost of repair.

Is this the dealer where you bought it? That could help you.
Old 09-25-16, 04:43 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Glad you're ok, looks pretty bad to me. I don't blame you for wanting it totaled...with carfax you can't even come close to getting what you want in resale once that accident pops up, which I guess is a good thing for the consumer, but bad for the guy who wants to sell his car.
Old 09-25-16, 08:06 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Agreed about it being borderline, thanks for all of the thoughts/responses. The dealer I am taking it to is one I have been using for 11 years so hopefully they do well.
Old 09-25-16, 10:47 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
The dealer I am taking it to is one I have been using for 11 years so hopefully they do well.
That's great. As a long term customer, their best interests coincide with your best interests.
Old 09-25-16, 05:07 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That color though!

I think it'll be totaled.
Old 09-26-16, 08:32 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow...just wow...
Really glad you are okay, but really just frustrating to see such a vehicle practically destroyed due to driver negligence.
I almost got in 3 accidents yesterday due to people practicing not bad, but horrible driving habits!
I intentionally cut my day short yesterday and stayed home, as three near misses were enough for me. I felt like perhaps yesterday just wasn't a day I should be on the road.
But to reiterate, very, very glad you are okay.
Its newer, so the value to repair margin will be more, however, looking at how that wheel is cocked and the damage sustained behind the wheel that we cant see, the tight tolerances of the suspension, frame/sub frame, electrical, and who knows whatever else, I'd assume its totaled as well.
Best of luck with everything!
Old 09-26-16, 08:57 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Wow...just wow...
Really glad you are okay, but really just frustrating to see such a vehicle practically destroyed due to driver negligence. But to reiterate, very, very glad you are okay.
Its newer, so the value to repair margin will be more, however, looking at how that wheel is cocked and the damage sustained behind the wheel that we cant see, the tight tolerances of the suspension, frame/sub frame, electrical, and who knows whatever else, I'd assume its totaled as well. Best of luck with everything!
Ok, can someone please give me a quick primer? If this car was worth $35000 before the accident, and let's say the damage can be fixed for $20,000. What would be an estimated sale price for the repaired car? If it were $20,000, would the car be repaired? But if the repaired car's price were $15,000, would it be totaled and sold for the spare parts? I bet this car has easily got $10-15,000 worth of salvaged parts.

Littleguy, this is just a thought experiment, please don't think that I am dissing your car. It's a beauty and it's a shame it has come to this. Good luck!

Last edited by comotiger; 09-26-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 10:58 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Hahaha, no worries. The way I am assuming it works is that if the repair costs exceed a certain percentage of the vehicle value than they will total the car out and sell the salvaged title vehicle at an auction like www.iaai.com where someone will buy it from the insurance and repair it or sell it for parts. Now I am also guessing that the percentage of value will vary depending on the make/model/age of the vehicle too.

Got the car to the Lexus dealership this morning so I will keep you all updated on what they say.
Old 09-26-16, 11:07 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Hahaha, no worries. The way I am assuming it works is that if the repair costs exceed a certain percentage of the vehicle value than they will total the car out and sell the salvaged title vehicle at an auction like www.iaai.com where someone will buy it from the insurance and repair it or sell it for parts. Now I am also guessing that the percentage of value will vary depending on the make/model/age of the vehicle too.

Got the car to the Lexus dealership this morning so I will keep you all updated on what they say.
Thanks, man. What is the estimated retail value of your car before the accident? Insurance companies probably use their own calculation, and I wonder what the percentage value is for your car that triggers the decision to total it.

On a lighter note, did you hit your dealer up for a loaner?
Old 09-26-16, 11:40 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, sorry about your accident. Hopefully you're up and running soon.
Old 09-26-16, 06:43 PM
SweetLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the way is works with most insurance companies.
#1 look up value on Nada.com, make sure to include correct mileage and year.
#2 the value you are looking for is clean retail
#3 take that clean retail value and times it by 75% and this is the number that most insurance companies will go up to before totaling the car.

the percentage depends on the insurance company they usually total anywhere from 60% on up . Keep in mind there are some insurance companies that will go up to 100% of that Nada clean retail.
Old 10-08-16, 07:56 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Littleguy, hope all is well. Can you please update us on the car and your plan ahead? Thanks!
Old 10-08-16, 08:04 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Well as of now it has been a little bit of a story. First the other person's insurance, AAA, told me they were denying the claim due to her not making payments....a week later they decided she does have coverage (this past Monday) and it took them all week to interview me and the witness and get the police report so they could accept liability. So as of now I am still in a rental (2016 Rav 4 lol) and the car is still sitting at the Lexus dealership. I did get a quote for the bodywork only of over $8000 (and that is using aftermarket parts) so I am really hoping that AAA just agrees to total it out when they come and see it next week. If they don't we'll have to start looking at options as far as maybe having an attorney write a letter for me or something (no idea really?). The Lexus service writer told me that if he did attempt a repair I would probably be looking at over 3 to 4 weeks to get the work done, but he agrees that it is on the line of being totaled out.
Old 10-08-16, 08:06 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

rare color! what a shame!!!!
Old 10-08-16, 12:54 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Well as of now it has been a little bit of a story. First the other person's insurance, AAA, told me they were denying the claim due to her not making payments....a week later they decided she does have coverage (this past Monday) and it took them all week to interview me and the witness and get the police report so they could accept liability. So as of now I am still in a rental (2016 Rav 4 lol) and the car is still sitting at the Lexus dealership. I did get a quote for the bodywork only of over $8000 (and that is using aftermarket parts) so I am really hoping that AAA just agrees to total it out when they come and see it next week. If they don't we'll have to start looking at options as far as maybe having an attorney write a letter for me or something (no idea really?). The Lexus service writer told me that if he did attempt a repair I would probably be looking at over 3 to 4 weeks to get the work done, but he agrees that it is on the line of being totaled out.
when I was hit from behind in my old LS430 2006 back in 2014 the quote for the damage was $9,600 and they still didn't total it. I was so surprised. I demanded they use all toyota/lexus parts, no aftermarket. I suggest you do the same, it gave me peace of mind. Took them well over a month and a half to fix it, but i was happy because I loved that car and I babied it for so long. Yours looks to be in great shape except for the damage and its a unique color. I wish you luck.

Quick Reply: My LS performed well, now hopefully I can find another...