LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS performed well, now hopefully I can find another...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 04:25 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
Well as of now it has been a little bit of a story. First the other person's insurance, AAA, told me they were denying the claim due to her not making payments....a week later they decided she does have coverage (this past Monday) and it took them all week to interview me and the witness and get the police report so they could accept liability. So as of now I am still in a rental (2016 Rav 4 lol) and the car is still sitting at the Lexus dealership. I did get a quote for the bodywork only of over $8000 (and that is using aftermarket parts) so I am really hoping that AAA just agrees to total it out when they come and see it next week. If they don't we'll have to start looking at options as far as maybe having an attorney write a letter for me or something (no idea really?). The Lexus service writer told me that if he did attempt a repair I would probably be looking at over 3 to 4 weeks to get the work done, but he agrees that it is on the line of being totaled out.
If you factor in mechanicals, the bill could be closer to 15K. Can't you insist that a body shop use OEM parts? That would raise the repair costs and maybe tip the balance toward totaling the car. Well, I hope this issue gets resolved soon. Good luck!
Old 10-08-16, 06:52 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course they have to use OEM parts. Otherwise the car will change its character in term of driving
Old 10-09-16, 08:39 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
If you factor in mechanicals, the bill could be closer to 15K. Can't you insist that a body shop use OEM parts? That would raise the repair costs and maybe tip the balance toward totaling the car. Well, I hope this issue gets resolved soon. Good luck!
Thanks, this is what I am aiming to do.
Old 10-13-16, 01:39 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Well, the process has at least started now. Lexus has started disassembling the car for a real repair quote and I think we have agreed on the parts. Will keep you all updated.
Old 10-13-16, 03:36 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Well, the process has at least started now. Lexus has started disassembling the car for a real repair quote and I think we have agreed on the parts. Will keep you all updated.
Thanks for the update. I wouldn't have guessed a Lexus dealer would have a full service collision repair body shop on site. The dealerships I know work with a collision center that tends to be a part of their auto-empire. I am wondering how you will know whether the shop is low-balling the repair estimate to avoid totaling the car (more work and $$ for their shop). Maybe it's too early to know, but will you consider a second repair estimate from a reputable independent shop if the Lexus dealer recommends fixing rather than totaling the car? Personally, seeing the damage done, I would think twice about getting the car fixed. Good luck, this can't be fun. You do have a nice loaner though
Old 10-13-16, 05:30 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Hahaha, loaner is kind of fun I must admit. The dealer is Westside Lexus here in Houston. They do collision on site (Westside Lexus Collision) and Westside Lexus Service will be looking at the mechanical repairs, I was happy to learn that they don't outsource anything. The service rep knows where I am leaning as far as repair/total so we'll see.
Old 10-26-16, 06:17 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Any updates, Littleguy? Hope things are working out to your benefit.
Old 10-26-16, 08:29 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Not yet, hope to hear something today or tomorrow. I'm getting antsy to start looking for a long wheel base LS, hahaha,.
Old 10-26-16, 08:36 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Not yet, hope to hear something today or tomorrow. I'm getting antsy to start looking for a long wheel base LS, hahaha,.
DO IT!!
Though mine is older, I own an L.
Don't have a large family, dont necessarily "need" the room, but those extra 5 inches just look and feel awesome!
Old 10-26-16, 09:57 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

I second that! With growing teenagers riding in the backseat of my 2012 SWB, I quickly realized that the rear leg room was just not sufficient to accomodate them and other stuff (books, snacks, DVDs etc.) on long trips, especially since we used to travel in a minivan previously. I am glad I traded that car for my 2014 LWB within a few months, and we couldn't be happier. The trade-off with my UltraLux package is the loss of trunk capacity, but if you get a LWB without the UL package, you will get the standard trunk. Good luck, Littleguy! I am rooting for a happy ending to your saga
Old 10-26-16, 12:51 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

also factor in the resell value, once a buyer finds out it had paint work or has been in an accident the value goes down big time and they just turn away.
Old 10-26-16, 08:43 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi LG

Hope this turns out well for you.

If you can find an L version, I would go for it. I have two mobility impaired family members and the L makes it so much nicer to get in and out. Also have all the controls in the rear armrest which makes it nice for a/c as mine as dual a/c.

It it may cost you a bit more now, but in the long run you will be much happier I think.

Good luck.

Cubby
Old 10-28-16, 03:38 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. It's just me and the old lady that use the car but for some reason I am attracted to the extra length, hahahaha. Hope to get something settled next week.
Old 11-10-16, 11:33 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Flipping finally! Geico agreed, after seeing the full estimate to total the car. The big two items were the frame rail and the engine harness was cut. I'm going to start shopping in the next week or two, although, I am no longer stuck on another LS460 necessarily. I have a shorter commute now so I will also be checking out the FJ Cruiser (not really a truck guy but I love the look and think they will be collectible one day) and I will also be checking out the Fiesta ST just because it is too cool imo. If neither of those jumps out at me then I will do another LS460, this time long wheelbase, for now.
Old 11-11-16, 02:17 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks for the update, LG. Good to hear things worked out to your benefit. Let's hope you won't be able to resist the temptation of another LS460 . Good luck car shopping!

Quick Reply: My LS performed well, now hopefully I can find another...