LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My car doing some funny stuff that I don't know what it is.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 02:18 PM
docmarioce
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car doing some funny stuff that I don't know what it is.

I have a 2011 LS 460 with 32+K miles and since its last service done about 6 months ago is making some weird thing. When I am stopped in a light and release the brakes the car makes like if the rear right tire was on top of a rock and it came down. Its a funny feeling. It does not do it all the time but when it does it does it 2-3 times in a row. Yesterday I took it for service to the Lexus dealer and a mechanic (supposedly the master mechanic) did a road test me driving and the car did not do the thing. He did not know what I was talking about when I explained it to him. I guess he though I was crazy. We, the ones who don't know much about mechanic, tend to think that there are loose bolts or screws inside but maybe you the ones that know about mechanic more can give me some inside. With my little information do you guys have an idea of what could be wrong with my beloved LS?

Thanks,

Mario
Old 09-21-16, 03:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Sounds like a differential issue to me. I'd start there with a drain and refill of the diff. Next would be the brake caliper and pads/hardware.

Please let us know if you solve this issue.
Old 09-21-16, 05:15 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Or it could be a loose universal joint. Unfortunately you may just have to have it happen while the mechanic is in the car.
Old 09-23-16, 04:14 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Thanks. I'll pass this info to the mechanic. Car is still in the dealer
Old 09-23-16, 08:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

There are no universal joints on the LS per se. We have giubo joints which are rubber. Normally when worn out, they will clunk when coming to a stop (as the transmission gears down).

Remember to let us know what transpires, as this information can be of great value for members here.
Old 09-24-16, 07:24 AM
docmarioce
Driver

I picked up the car yesterday afternoon. The mechanic found that the arms of the front suspension were worn out and replaced the four of them. The car was making a stump noise when breaking in stops and is not doing it now. I drove it from the dealership to home only and did not feel the funny thing so it may have been that although is too soon to tell I'll drive it to the gym today and maybe further away and will update this thread with results. Thanks to all for your help
Old 09-24-16, 07:59 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Default Update

Just driving to the gym now. It did it again. While stopped in the light when I released the brake it did a clunck noise and a soft shake that lasted a second. I felt it in the rear right side. Probably will have to take it to the mechanic for another road test
Old 09-29-16, 06:09 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Unhappy It happened again.

Yesterday my car did the thing again. While stopped in a light after releasing the brake I felt as if the right rear tire was in a hole or entered a hole in the road and came out. There is no noise. I was looking through the passenger window when that happened and saw the car moving like a boat. I don't know what it is but the movement appears to be more pronounced now than before. Could it be related to the parking brake that gets activated and takes longer to releas one side more than the other? I recently took the car for service and I drove the car with the lexus mechanic as passenger and the problem did not appear and now is happening more. I guess I'll have to wait until the car completely stops and does not work. I am really concerned that it could be something major. Sorry to bother you guys with my problems but I know there are very smart and capable people in this forum.
Old 09-29-16, 11:48 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Someone else on here had (what I remember to be) a similar experience, like you are describing. And went round and round with the dealer. Until finally one smart tech figured out there was air in the brake line for (seems like) the right rear brake. The line was bled, and the problem was "Gone With the ... Air."

That's from my memory. I'll see if I can search and find that thread.
Old 09-29-16, 01:18 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LS430FL or something like that?
Old 09-29-16, 02:56 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, the simplest test, assuming you are using the brake hold feature (which it sounds like you are), is to stop using it and see if the problem persists.

If it goes away then it would be narrowed down to your brakes and/or brake hold mechanism, which might not be releasing or getting stuck.
Old 09-29-16, 03:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by docmarioce
I am really concerned that it could be something major. Sorry to bother you guys with my problems but I know there are very smart and capable people in this forum.
Trust me, you are not bothering us. We love to dissect these problems. I don't remember the thread Oliver is referring to, but a brake line bleed is an easy procedure and can't hurt.

Besides, I didn't know our cars didn't have universal joints! (Thanks Chris/roadfrog)
Old 09-30-16, 10:37 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Someone else on here had (what I remember to be) a similar experience, like you are describing. And went round and round with the dealer. Until finally one smart tech figured out there was air in the brake line for (seems like) the right rear brake. The line was bled, and the problem was "Gone With the ... Air."

That's from my memory. I'll see if I can search and find that thread.
Thank you that could be the source of the problem. Don't know if the mechanic would agree to do the bleed only with my argument or if they would like to feel it first..

Thanks again, Mario
Old 09-30-16, 10:39 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Trust me, you are not bothering us. We love to dissect these problems. I don't remember the thread Oliver is referring to, but a brake line bleed is an easy procedure and can't hurt.

Besides, I didn't know our cars didn't have universal joints! (Thanks Chris/roadfrog)
Thank you. I'll try the air brake bleeding.
Old 09-30-16, 10:41 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well, the simplest test, assuming you are using the brake hold feature (which it sounds like you are), is to stop using it and see if the problem persists.

If it goes away then it would be narrowed down to your brakes and/or brake hold mechanism, which might not be releasing or getting stuck.
Thanks for your reply. I don't use the brake hold feature all the time but I have used it at times. When it happened I wan't using it. I activated it afterwards to see if continue to occur and apparently improved. I'll make some tests with the brake hold on and off. I'll also look into the brake air bleed as well.