LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help.. I'm being seduced by a Jag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 05:41 AM
ozmangrant
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help.. I'm being seduced by a Jag!!!

My 07 LS460L I picked up about 19 months ago from the Lexus dealer paid 24K, one owner and only 68K on it with executive package ( hard to find now). But now I see a 2011 XJL Black with London tan ... Sweet color combo. Asking 29K one owner and only 35K miles on it. Test drove it but is was rush hour so we sat in traffic. Okay guys I'm tempted, Help me stay the course..
Old 09-14-16, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Its better that you give in to the urge. Otherwise you might turn resentful towards the LS. Its better to regret than to never have done.
Old 09-14-16, 07:18 AM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The XJ-L is a sexy beast, no doubt, but I'd stick with your LS simply to avoid major headaches and expenses. IMHO, I feel the LS is the better and better looking vehicle overall, with it being much less ostentatious and of a superior build quality. The jag's smallish trunk also disappoints.. My understanding is that while Jag reliability has improved of late, the 2011 MY was still plagued with serious issues, especially with regard to the electrical system. A co-worker went down that road and if you so much as mention Jaguar, he will absolutely go off and recap some incredible horror stories. While amusing, I've never seen someone so traumatized by an ownership experience. Owning a vehicle that has issues is one thing - they all do - but when a car has widespread, well documented problems that even dealers cannot fix, then I just don't see the point of what ends up being a pretty paperweight. I liken the appeal of the Jag to that of the Grand Cherokee. I know that they aren't anywhere near each other in terms class/luxury, but the GC is very appealing to many due to its good looks (subjective) and capability, on paper. The reality is that if you buy either, there is an extremely high likelihood you are going to be dealing in a world of pain, comprised of recurring and unresolvable issues, despite an ultimately doomed appreciation for what the vehicle could be, in theory.

I'm sure poor dependability will be the single most cited reason for you not to buy the Jag and I imagine that the subject already has crossed your mind. Maybe try to hold off for a couple of weeks and see if the urge subsides. I'd hate for you (or anyone else for that matter) to be stuck 2 weeks after ownership, regretful and miserable.. Just my $.02, I wish you good luck with the decision either way!

Last edited by droclex; 09-14-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 07:50 AM
ozmangrant
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys it has been really tempting, plus I still have the warranty from the dealership for the next 2 yr or 120k miles.... I guess I just need to style up my LS more then I'll fall in love with all over again.
Old 09-14-16, 11:17 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

oh man.... can't help you. Sorry... I LOVE that car too!
Old 09-14-16, 11:21 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I had an XF a couple of cars ago and let's say that I will never own a Jaguar again. Wonderful when they work, horrible any time you need dependability or have to go to a dealer for service.
Old 09-14-16, 11:26 AM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ozmangrant
Thanks guys it has been really tempting, plus I still have the warranty from the dealership for the next 2 yr or 120k miles.... I guess I just need to style up my LS more then I'll fall in love with all over again.
I believe i might be able to help you there
Old 09-14-16, 12:27 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Im very much into the 07-09 Jag XKR's

From what I gather, they are pretty solid and reliable pending a few minor issues here and there.

Supercharged 420HP , id give one of those a look before getting into the XJ's, which have a less reliable reputation.
Old 09-14-16, 12:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I especially like the look of the interior on the XJ. I like the front exterior, but not crazy about the rear. Not enough of them are reported to Consumer Reports to rate the reliability.

My wife has 157,000 miles on her 2001 S-Type. The car drives and looks great. It has been very reliable. Years ago some engine component failed. I can't remember now what it was, but it wasn't more than several hundred to repair. A window regulator failed, but the one for the sister car, the Lincoln LS, was half the price of the Jag replacement one so I saved money there. Otherwise it's just been normal maintenance.

Of course this car was built when Ford owned them. I just don't know about Tata, but I like the styling of their models.
Old 09-14-16, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

They're very nice cars, I seriously considered one before I got my LS. What kept me from doing it was Jaguar is really behind in tech, even compared to Lexus, and they're flashier and more ostentatious than the Lexus.
Old 09-14-16, 05:57 PM
ozmangrant
Driver School Candidate

Love the color combination

But just look at it...
Old 09-14-16, 06:04 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

That's really nice! Looks like a vanden plas too with the rear tray tables. I would get that as a secondary car not primary. However in my area those are all over like Hondas so they can't be that bad!
Old 09-14-16, 07:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No doubt about it, the Jags are sexy. That allure quickly fades when you read about the horrendous reliability and depreciation. I'd lease one (maybe), but no way would I put myself through the same fiasco I experienced with my 7 series Beemer.
Old 09-14-16, 08:58 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Interior looks exquisite man..such a good looking vehicle. I can see why you're tempted! Although I still would pass on it, it might not hurt to scavenge the forums and become more familiar with common complaints/issues:

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/tags/xjl/

Last edited by droclex; 09-15-16 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 05:38 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Jaguar XJL is exotic and appealing with all that fine leather and wood. It definitely stands out in a crowd. Thumbs up.

Quick Reply: Help.. I'm being seduced by a Jag!!!