LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help.. I'm being seduced by a Jag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 05:50 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Ok superdenso, now we know you own a 460, I guess my next logical question would be have you experienced the problems you mentioned? Have you had your heads replaced? Have you had problems due to the valve spring recall? Does your car use oil and hesitate after an oil change? Do you have wind noise? Have you ever had it fixed? Have you had your control arms replaced at a Lexus dealer for over $4,000 dollars?

I'm of the opinion - and of course this is just my opinion - that in a forum, where vehicle faults are reported, doesn't represent the vast majority. This is such a small segment of 460 owners. And it's a place where you'll hear these things. My own car has experienced only the control arms and a wheel bearing - that's after 135,000 miles of driving. To me that's insane reliability.

Ive been to a Honda forum before, because I own a Honda, and I learned things there that petrified me about my vehicle. I learned that my engine block was porous and that coolant would leak into the oil system, ruining the engine. People on that site experienced it...not many, but just enough where it was written down and became a permanent blemish. Years later I emded up working with a Honda tech...asked him about the block problem...he had never heard or seen it - and he worked for a Honda dealer. The Internet...these forums, don't tell you how frequent or infrequent certain problems are. And that's a huge part of it.

I understand the car isn't perfect. I understand you aren't saying it's a piece of junk, but you're rehashing issues that either have been resolved (valve spring, brake actuator), or things that don't happen very often (heads, hesitation). And the control arms? My lord! That's something that can be fixed for a $1,000 at an independent shop. You can have virtually your entire front suspension replaced on these cars for around $1,000...you can't even do that in a Hyundai.
I've had enough issues with the LS to say that it is a good car, parts prices are not expensive, and my wrenches fit the fasteners. My Lexus dealership has been outstanding at sourcing needed parts. Lexus supply chain management/ logistics is stellar.

Who can say how many cars are affected by various failures unless they have the numbers from Toyota? So no one can decide what is a relevant failure topic and what is not. If it failed and you want to broach topic: then go for it. Trying to sweep things under the rug or force someone to refrain from mentioning it based on some emotion you have for an inanimate object is creepy. The LS is good at what it does but if someone wants more performance or upgraded interior materials, and they think another car has it...I'll encourage the swap.

Last edited by superdenso; 09-19-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 08:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

At the risk of being being moderated out of the thread as other valued members have been, I'm bowing out.of further posting on this one. The trolling here is ridiculous, yet they're being allowed to proceed with impunity. I've been tempted by other members to block/ignore as they have, but like driving by a train wreck, I just have to look. I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess.

Have fun!
Old 09-19-16, 01:53 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
At the risk of being being moderated out of the thread as other valued members have been, I'm bowing out.of further posting on this one. The trolling here is ridiculous, yet they're being allowed to proceed with impunity. I've been tempted by other members to block/ignore as they have, but like driving by a train wreck, I just have to look. I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess.

Have fun!
Winner winner!! Chicken dinner!

The trolling around here is insane.
Old 09-19-16, 01:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I've had enough issues with the LS to say that it is a good car, parts prices are not expensive, and my wrenches fit the fasteners. My Lexus dealership has been outstanding at sourcing needed parts. Lexus supply chain management/ logistics is stellar.

Who can say how many cars are affected by various failures unless they have the numbers from Toyota? So no one can decide what is a relevant failure topic and what is not. If it failed and you want to broach topic: then go for it. Trying to sweep things under the rug or force someone to refrain from mentioning it based on some emotion you have for an inanimate object is creepy. The LS is good at what it does but if someone wants more performance or upgraded interior materials, and they think another car has it...I'll encourage the swap.
Then why don't you do this? Just count the ones that you know have had the heads replaced. Can you do that? Have you had your heads replaced? Or is that too creepy?