LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 All Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 09:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I have no experience with RWD cars or snow tires, but does ride quality get worse and is road noise increased significantly with winter tires like Blizzak?
I honestly can't notice any difference in noise (and I've tried), and in fact, the ride is cushier with snow tires because of the softer compound. Because the car is so tomb-quiet, siping and lugs dont seem to transmit to the cabin. I run GT Radial Champiro Winterepro HP.
Old 09-13-16, 09:14 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
What the heck did we do 20 years ago when AWD was almost non-existent? Everyone drove around with snow tires on JUST the rear tires and went skiing, commuted to work in 3 ft of snow, etc. There wasn't carnage on the roadways and everyone seemed to be able to go about their business. I must be getting old. Between traction control, anti-skid, "snow" mode etc, the LS handles like a champ....albeit WITH dedicated (Blizzak etc) tires.

I will add, that I see more AWD, 4x4 etc crashing in the snow than I do FWD or RWD cars. Naturally, these are folks that get a false sense of security because they think they can drive in a more aggressive manner than those without. That and the fact that AWD doesn't stop any better than RWD.
You make excellent points. We are just debating the pros and cons of AWD and RWD because we now have the choice that wasn't available in most luxury cars 20 years ago. Assuming that there is no safety or handling benefits to AWD over RWD, are there any noise or comfort benefits to driving an AWD car on all seasons like Pirelli P7 Cinturatos over an RWD on winter tires like Blizzaks?
Old 09-13-16, 09:18 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

I honestly can't notice any difference in noise (and I've tried), and in fact, the ride is cushier with snow tires because of the softer compound. Because the car is so tomb-quiet, siping and lugs dont seem to transmit to the cabin. I run GT Radial Champiro Winterepro HP.
Thanks, answered my Qs. I guess I can have the best of both worlds by having winter tires like yours on my AWD
Old 09-13-16, 10:39 AM
realkrs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the heck did we do 20 years ago when AWD was almost non-existent? Everyone drove around with snow tires on JUST the rear tires and went skiing, commuted to work in 3 ft of snow, etc. There wasn't carnage on the roadways and everyone seemed to be able to go about their business. I must be getting old. Between traction control, anti-skid, "snow" mode etc, the LS handles like a champ....albeit WITH dedicated (Blizzak etc) tires.
We used studded tires or in worst case had to chain up.

These days with AWD it's usually possible to do fine, safe and with a secure feel of the road using AWD and snow tires all around. For city folks a set of snow tires is more than you need when previous traffic and city plows make good access to pavement even if it's white looking but that's not driving in winter conditions in or through the mountains, the lonely places as my son used to call it..

've got a '98 Subaru Outback that wears Blizzaks year around. It's our short trip escape module just for making the 10 miles to town for groceries and sch and it works pretty good for that. But it's a 5 speed with a pretty narrow footwell and as this progressive destruction of the nerves in my legs goes on it's become pretty painful for me to drive. (My wife, who drove a VW bus when we met and I know could drive my progression of manual transmissions has refused to drive a stick now for over ten years. I'm not sure what her problem is but something must have spooked her somehow)

I've also got a good running and solid Toyota FJ40 with air lockers front and rear, new BF Goodrich AT snow and ice rated all terrain tires that will climb fences and knock down the berm that the snowplows leave at the foot of my 1/2 mile driveway and I ain't driving that over the Siskiyous to go see our grandkids at Christmas, much as the kid's probably love it if I did..
Old 09-13-16, 11:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by realkrs
We used studded tires or in worst case had to chain up.

These days with AWD it's usually possible to do fine, safe and with a secure feel of the road using AWD and snow tires all around. For city folks a set of snow tires is more than you need when previous traffic and city plows make good access to pavement even if it's white looking but that's not driving in winter conditions in or through the mountains, the lonely places as my son used to call it..

've got a '98 Subaru Outback that wears Blizzaks year around. It's our short trip escape module just for making the 10 miles to town for groceries and sch and it works pretty good for that. But it's a 5 speed with a pretty narrow footwell and as this progressive destruction of the nerves in my legs goes on it's become pretty painful for me to drive. (My wife, who drove a VW bus when we met and I know could drive my progression of manual transmissions has refused to drive a stick now for over ten years. I'm not sure what her problem is but something must have spooked her somehow)

I've also got a good running and solid Toyota FJ40 with air lockers front and rear, new BF Goodrich AT snow and ice rated all terrain tires that will climb fences and knock down the berm that the snowplows leave at the foot of my 1/2 mile driveway and I ain't driving that over the Siskiyous to go see our grandkids at Christmas, much as the kid's probably love it if I did..
Since both of your current vehicles are AWD, I would suggest you buy an AWD LS460.
Old 09-13-16, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Bolded is the key. Switching to winter tires isn't feasible for everybody.

Well 20 years ago we had a lot of FWD cars. FWD is a lot easier to get started in the snow (actually less safe to drive but thats another matter). Tires were in general narrower. Before that when we really all had big RWD cars they were a lot heavier, narrower tires, much less power.
Old 09-13-16, 02:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Bolded is the key. Switching to winter tires isn't feasible for everybody.

Well 20 years ago we had a lot of FWD cars. FWD is a lot easier to get started in the snow (actually less safe to drive but thats another matter). Tires were in general narrower. Before that when we really all had big RWD cars they were a lot heavier, narrower tires, much less power.
No, I get it. It's just interesting how we depend on new technologies and then wonder how we did without them (parking assist, radar cruise, blind spot, etc). It's making our cars safer, but making us worse drivers. Maybe I should have said "40 years ago"...you know...bias ply tires, rear drive, summer tires in the front...HECK, summer tires all around in many cases! LOL
Old 09-13-16, 03:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

No, I get it. It's just interesting how we depend on new technologies and then wonder how we did without them (parking assist, radar cruise, blind spot, etc). It's making our cars safer, but making us worse drivers. Maybe I should have said "40 years ago"...you know...bias ply tires, rear drive, summer tires in the front...HECK, summer tires all around in many cases! LOL
Ironic, isn't it...Technology to make cars safer, but worse drivers, especially since there are so many distractions for drivers nowadays.

But in a way, this is the logical (perhaps unfortunate) progression toward technology making cars more automated and autonomous such that in another 10-15 years, a significant number of vehicles will be self-driving. Heck, there may not even be a steering wheel. And in a couple of generations, most people may not even need to learn how to drive. Imagine never experiencing the joy of driving...
Old 09-14-16, 04:44 PM
realkrs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Since both of your current vehicles are AWD, I would suggest you buy an AWD LS460.
Yeah, I have those, but you missed that I also have an LS430. My herd currently includes the previously mentioned plus a Porsche 365, two MGB's, A Dodge Dakota pickup, and a '78 VW Camper. But those aren't the point. The point is that I'm interested in a good highway cruiser like my LS430 but with the added margin of AWD. I'm 68 years old, first licensed in 1966, and have driven all manner of cars in every concievable conditions. I can make it, probably, in anything but like stress reducing mechanisms and systems that are offered in modern cars.

I didn't start the thread to debate the advantages of tires, drive, or anything but whether the LS460 AWD is troublesome and how people like it.
Old 09-14-16, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Not troublesome at all. Given the choice I prefer the way a fully RWD car drives, but given my climate the trade off is worth it.
Old 09-14-16, 05:19 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Isn't it past your bed time old man? "back in my day we drove uphills both way" hahahaha
Old 09-14-16, 05:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by realkrs
I can make it, probably, in anything but like stress reducing mechanisms and systems that are offered in modern cars.
I didn't start the thread to debate the advantages of tires, drive, or anything but whether the LS460 AWD is troublesome and how people like it.
Agree with Steve. I have enjoyed my AWD car immensely and look forward to driving it this winter! I also don't recall forum members reporting any concerns specific for AWD cars.

If you really want all of the stress-reducing systems you can have on the LS460, get one with the Advanced Pre-collision package (Pedestrian warning, Lane Keep Assist, Radar cruise, Driver attention monitor). 2013+ cars also have blind spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert, and the backup camera view displays grid lines. I missed all of these features on my 2012 LS, which in part led me to trade up to a 2014.
Old 09-14-16, 07:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
Isn't it past your bed time old man? "back in my day we drove uphills both way" hahahaha
zzzzzzzzzzzzz..................

Oh and don't forget.....uphill both ways with no shoes!