LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Self healing" clear coat on the LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 09:25 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default "Self healing" clear coat on the LS

Hi LS folks,

On the ES thread, we have a thread going about the 2016 ES having the Lexus/Toyota "self healing" clear coat that previously has been avail on the LS since 2010 apparently.

We are speculating whether this clear coat truly can protect against small scratches and swirls such as from a cloth based automatic car wash. But I am still a bit dubious.

What can LS owners say about the self healing clear coat on yours? Can it truly allow for going through soft-cloth based car washes without worry?

Also, if needing body work, can body shops put back the self healing clear coat on the repaired areas?

Here is our thread on the ES forum:,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...h-and-wax.html

Old 09-11-16, 05:14 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Interesting I haven't heard about that. I can tell you that my 2011 LS460L in obsidian black could certainly benefit from a self healing clear coat. That thing gets swirled up if you breathe on it too heavily. My detailer who I have correct the car 1-2 times a year nicknames lexus obsidian black "Obscene black". Its a total nightmare!
Old 09-11-16, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I do find it resists scratching and swirling better than the paints I've had on previous Lexus vehicles. Mine goes through a very high end automatic wash that minimizes swirling but it's still there obviously.

Issue is any polishing would remove that coat.

The LS has a hand sanded body and in general the paint is a lot better than my other Lexus cars.
Old 09-11-16, 07:27 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Here is a toyota article about it. Seems to suggest that 2010 LS introduced it. Not sure if it was standard or an option?
http://toyotadriverseat.com/products...eal-itself.htm

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Interesting I haven't heard about that. I can tell you that my 2011 LS460L in obsidian black could certainly benefit from a self healing clear coat. That thing gets swirled up if you breathe on it too heavily. My detailer who I have correct the car 1-2 times a year nicknames lexus obsidian black "Obscene black". Its a total nightmare!
Old 09-11-16, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's standard
Old 09-11-16, 11:00 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
By waxing your LS once a month with a good brand of wax (I use Mother synthetic wax) will help eliminate many of your swirl marks and keep that obsidian black beautiful and glossy.
Old 09-12-16, 04:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Waxing isn't going to eliminate swirl marks. What will eliminate swirl marks (or minimize them) is a proper wash technique.
Old 09-12-16, 06:24 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

what type of auto wash machine is best?

I've used a guy before who comes to the house and uses a machine that applies steam/water mist to the car surface, then he gently wipes off with micro fiber. A bit pricey though $40 each time, although some discount if cleaning 2 cars at once.

The auto car washes are better price wise....

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I do find it resists scratching and swirling better than the paints I've had on previous Lexus vehicles. Mine goes through a very high end automatic wash that minimizes swirling but it's still there obviously.

Issue is any polishing would remove that coat.

The LS has a hand sanded body and in general the paint is a lot better than my other Lexus cars.
Old 09-12-16, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would find a high end one with newer equipment, where they spray cars down well before they go through and use microfiber towels at the end. The one I use they wear aprons, and are very careful. But, you will still get some swirling.

FYI, the car wash I use is $27, so not cheap either.
Old 09-12-16, 09:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
By waxing your LS once a month with a good brand of wax (I use Mother synthetic wax) will help eliminate many of your swirl marks and keep that obsidian black beautiful and glossy.
Unfortunately no amount of "waxing" will remove spider-webbing/swirls. My car is Obsidian (FML), and is a Biotch to keep swirl-free. However, any polish/glaze will get it out with a RO polisher and a grey/black finishing pad. I use Klasse and it works magic. Alas, it is temporary, as those swirls are quick to return even with the fanciest Microfiber cloths (which I use). Short of polishing/glazing every wash, you're screwed.
Old 09-12-16, 11:45 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

My 460 is obsidian black and I don't have a problem with swirl marks but I do have a some fine scratches. I have never used automated car washes. I hand wash my car about once a week with Turtle wash & wax and I wax it every month. I had it fully detailed a few months ago and told them specifically not a buffer because I have seen all the swirl marks it can leave on a black vehicle.
Old 09-12-16, 12:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I hand wash my car about once a week
Yep, me too. I use a microfiber mitt and Gold Class Meguiars car wash soap. I also use a special pail with a "grit guard". Regardless, in the sun, you can see the spider webbing. I touch up every couple of weeks with a plush professional MF towel and some wax, but that only shines the car and doesn't hide or remove the swirls. It doesn't help that Lexus Obsidian paint is extremely soft.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-12-16 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 12:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Unfortunately no amount of "waxing" will remove spider-webbing/swirls. My car is Obsidian (FML), and is a Biotch to keep swirl-free. However, any polish/glaze will get it out with a RO polisher and a grey/black finishing pad. I use Klasse and it works magic. Alas, it is temporary, as those swirls are quick to return even with the fanciest Microfiber cloths (which I use). Short of polishing/glazing every wash, you're screwed.
That's why I have decided to maintain my car in all of its swirl-and-hologram glory! It seems like a fool's errand to fix it. I wash (hand or brushless auto) regularly, and under most conditions, we don't see the swirls or walk around and view a car from another angle so that the swirls disappear
Old 09-12-16, 12:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
That's why I have decided to maintain my car in all of its swirl-and-hologram glory! It seems like a fool's errand to fix it. I wash (hand or brushless auto) regularly, and under most conditions, we don't see the swirls or walk around and view a car from another angle so that the swirls disappear
LOL. Yep, as the song goes, "black cars, look better in the shade". As **** as I am about detailing, there is NO way to avoid spider webbing...no matter what you do. Some are just worse than others, but they ALL have spider webbing except for that short time after a polishing with an appropriate compound like Meguiars Mirror Glaze or the like.
Old 09-12-16, 01:50 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I didn't realize up until now that LS has scratch resistant clear coat. Did some more digging and found its stated in 2012 LS brochure pg 8 : http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...S-Brochure.pdf . Not sure it comes standard or as an option.

Mine is obsidian black and I doubt it comes with scratch resistant clear coat. Scratches are one of the main reason why I went with Modesta paint coating. So far its working out good.......
Attached Thumbnails "Self healing" clear coat on the LS-ls-paint.jpg