LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Serpentine Belt Snaps/Overheat/Christmas Tree on dash

Old 09-07-16, 07:09 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt Snaps/Overheat/Christmas Tree on dash

2011 Lexus LS460L AWD
w/technology package
w/rear seat upgrade
128,000 Miles

I recently bought this car last friday. I drove for approximately 800 miles. Here are the ordered of events that unfolded
1) Battery Icon Came on
2) Check PCS light
3) Car started Overheating
4) Drove a little more to my house while it was overheating. The temperature needle totally falls all the way to the bottom. Then comes on halfway then all the way to the bottom. Like it was off/on

Got the car home. Opened the hood. Coolant was smoking from breather hose. I opened the cap to alleviate the pressure then more coolant started to boil and splash out. At this point, I noticed my serpentine belt was loose. I pulled on it then i realized it was snapped in half. The whole belt was frayed halfway through one side. I replaced the belt with a new OEM belt. Started the car but then it went off track again. Did it two more times after adjusting then it just snapped in half.

Now I have no clue what is going on. I replaced back everything to start the car up hoping all my christmas lights will go away. Which it did, only thing that was showing was the battery light. But I only had the car running for 1 minute. On further inspection of all the pulleys, I see that the AC compressor pulley was loose. I can easily bend it in and out from both sides. Is this normal since the inside is made up of some rubber? This was where the belt usually kept hopping off. Every other pulley was solid giving no play. Also, would this have affected my overheating issue?

This is my first Lexus. I believe I got a steal with the car, and it drove beautifully since I left the used dealership. I'm more worried how this affected my overheating issues then anything. Please HELP!!!
Old 09-07-16, 07:15 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where did you get it from and did it at least come with a 3 month or 3000 mile warranty??? i am afraid to tell you that you should atleast take it to the dealer as something is snapping your serpentine belt which is connected to the water pump. when a car is overheating the best thing to do is stop immediately when safe and get it towed the rest of the way as expensive damage can occur. Hopefully you get it sorted out because without picture i am not sure if anyone can help you. I say take it to a repair shop, i would take it to at least a Toyota dealer.. good luck and let us know..
Old 09-07-16, 07:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Is the tensioner pulley intact? I wouldnt worry too much about any damage. You'll know once you get everything back together. You'd have to overheat a good while before doing any permanent harm.

All those check lights would be normal when a belt breaks or loosens. They should all go out when everythings back in order.
Old 09-07-16, 07:27 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

I got it from a used car dealership.
http://www.affordableimport.net/2011..._264878907.veh

I due have a basic 1 month/1000 mile. I also bought an additional warranty from PWI (which I think is a ripoff, but i did anyway for only 175). It was a corporate fleet vehicle which was religiously serviced at a lexus dealership if you check the carfax out on their website.

The tensioner pulley is still intact. But I'm not too sure if I should be able to tilt it up and down. Other pulleys are stiff, AC pulley spins straight, but when put pressure on it, it bends and give a little play. Im not sure that is normal.

I rather do the work myself vs going through the headache with these ripoff warranty company. Unless its like over $1000 of work.

Once I put everything back together, minus the serpentine belt. It started right up with only the battery light on.
Old 09-07-16, 07:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like the tensioner is *****-up. That's why the belt isnt staying in place,
Old 09-07-16, 09:48 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i concur i like doing my own work as well i would take a look at the tensioner which seems to be chewing your belts...
Old 09-07-16, 09:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW, there's plenty of them on Ebay for about 80 bucks brand new. Thats for the entire tensioner assembly and not just the tensioner pulley.
Old 09-07-16, 10:01 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

The tensioner is not the one that is loose. It feels pretty firm. Only thing that feels not tight is the AC compressor Wheel. When I put the new belt on, I cranked it to ensure the belt would circling through fine. As soon as i start it up, It will jump off the tracks especially by the AC compressor side.

Just sucks that I can't even drive my car unless I have a serpentine belt in otherwise my car will overheat
Old 09-08-16, 04:45 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Could be your a/c compressor clutch is shot and loose. You probably need a complete compressor. It shouldn't have too much play in it. Either that or the tensioner I would guess. Hopefully you didn't fry the engine when it overheated.
Old 09-08-16, 08:27 AM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

Uploaded a video of what I am seeing with the AC compressor with the movement/play

Could this have been the problem? My original belt that was snapped off was frayed with only 3/6 ribs left thoughout whole belt
Old 09-08-16, 10:02 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Yep, the clutch assembly looks bad....... I suggest replacing the tensioner and idler at the same time you replace the compressor because this way you will have "piece of mind" for years to come. Hopefully this repair will be covered by the dealer who sold you the car.
BTW! Nice looking ride!
Old 09-08-16, 10:14 AM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I don't think it will be covered by them. Even if it was, I would have to drive almost 2 hours away to give them the vehicle. Im going to try to make him pay for the parts at least. I would think by looking at the carfax, that the frequent times the last owner brought it to the dealership, all of this stuff would be replaced. I did drive it quite hard coming home from atlantic city showing some kids what a luxury sedan can do lol.... They didn't see it coming as i was pulling away at 120.

This is my first lexus, the moment I saw and sat in it using all the features.... I had to have it!!! I hope after I replace all this, my engine will be okay. It starts right up no problem without the serpentine belt connected so I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 09-08-16, 12:11 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know what might have triggered all this to occur ? something happened that wasn't suppose to happen.
Old 09-08-16, 01:50 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

NJToany - I hate to say it, but to me it sounds like a car I was asked to figure out the problem, and it was a blown head gasket. Your description of the coolant gauge dropping quickly then coming back up is exactly what that car with the blown head gasket would do.

I hope I'm wrong. But let me ask you, did the coolant you saw come out have any kind of chocolate milk look to it? Or was it perfectly green like normal?

It kind of seems like one of your pulleys or A/C compressor is seizing, and that's what is frying the belt, and in turn might have lead to the water pump not being spun like it should and could have overheated the engine blew the head gasket.

Please come back and tell me I'm wrong! This makes me feel nauseated, because of the memory of that car I was asked to look at, it was a little old lady's, and I had to tell that her car was dead and I felt horrible to have to do it.

I'm hoping your is just a pulley issue, and nothing else.
Old 09-08-16, 01:58 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

7milesout- The coolant was pink. There was no oil mixed up in the coolant reservoir. I'm hoping it was not a blown head gasket. I drove it only 5-10 min Max with a 5 minute break in between just to get it back to the house. I can start up the car no problem once i put the intake back on with no check engine light, only the battery light comes on. The needle dropping quickly happened right after the christmas lights came on. So Im thinking it was a power issue. When the needle dropped it and bounced up, it look like it was a power on and off switch that occurred. Im gonna start the car up and see if there is any smoke coming out of the exhaust if there was a blown head gasket.

I just ordered a new AC compressor and new pulleys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Snaps/Overheat/Christmas Tree on dash