LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 Camry Vs 2007 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 05:21 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Are we surprised a Carmy at 1/3rd the price disappoints compared to an LS?

i give it 60 days and you'll have another LS LOL
Hahaha maybe. No surprise here. Even the wife makes comments as we drive in it. "not as nice as the Lexus". I don't know. I've already got my eye on a MY13 L. but I'm heading out tonight to buy a couple Alpine Type R's tonight, so who knows..

Old 09-06-16, 06:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Get a new LS, don't wait. Life is short and it's important to you. Just do it.
Old 09-08-16, 02:18 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

You won't hear any grief from me. I bought a 2003 Camry a few weeks ago from my parents for CHEAP ... for my son to drive ($2,700 + $600 in repairs). Not for a second will I compare it to an LS. But for VALUE, it is one heckuva good car. I feel a little guilty when I drive the LS, it's just so much more luxury than I need / deserve.
Old 09-09-16, 10:46 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
You won't hear any grief from me. I bought a 2003 Camry a few weeks ago from my parents for CHEAP ... for my son to drive ($2,700 + $600 in repairs). Not for a second will I compare it to an LS. But for VALUE, it is one heckuva good car. I feel a little guilty when I drive the LS, it's just so much more luxury than I need / deserve.
No, really can't compare the LS to the Camry. Whenever my friends called my LS400 a big Camry I was quick to point out it's an entirely different platform....

No guilt here on driving the LS460, I'm really glad I did the upgrade back in April. Now that I've changed out those dusty Brembo pads with the ceramic Power Stops, I'm even happier!
Old 09-09-16, 11:31 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be back soon enough. I'm actually in the middle of installing the system in the Camry. Ordered all my speakers, and bits I needed. Installing the first amp and subs tonight. Once the other stuff comes in, I'll be installing that. Looking forward to it as I have always been into car audio but wouldnt dare install anything in the LS. So this is actually fun for me. I've been riding the Hayabusa lately anyway. Until it get's cold that is.
Old 09-10-16, 09:16 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi

I hope you are able to get an ls soon. I know the issues involved when you have to replace a car and are not able to get what you really want.

That said, do take your time to find your car so you get just what you want. It took me a year but I am very pleased I did.

Good luck!

Cubby
Old 09-11-16, 07:42 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Hi

I hope you are able to get an ls soon. I know the issues involved when you have to replace a car and are not able to get what you really want.

That said, do take your time to find your car so you get just what you want. It took me a year but I am very pleased I did.

Good luck!

Cubby
My last LS took me about 6 months to find. I do a lot of research and I'm never quick to take something I don't really love. When I come back, it should be in a 13+ and I'm not sure about an L or not. I can't decide, so I know that alone will take me a while.

In the meantime, the Camry install is coming along. Alpine Type R 12" subs installed yesterday along with an Alpine MRX-M110 amp for that. Next comes the front speakers and amp. Going to be loud but sound good. I hope.
Old 09-11-16, 09:10 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

very interesting writeup and comparison, thanks.

Arguably, the latest generation Camry is quite similar to the latest generation ES, so your comparison may well parallel a comparison of the ES to LS, sadly ! Consumer reports say that customers may be better off getting a fully equipped Camry than the ES as far as bang for the buck. I don't fully agree with their statement but there is some truth to it though.

Can I ask about 2 factors in your comparison that actually led me to stay away from getting an LS and stay with the smaller ES -
1) nimbleness and ability to fit car in small spaces - do you find the Camry much easier to get into and out of parallel parking spaces and narrow multi level parking garage passageways? I assume the 07 LS did not have the auto parallel park feature....
2) fuel economy? although - most of us considering or owning an LS can indeed afford the gas to fill an LS, something bugs me about having an under 20 MPG car.....although what does one expect when you have a large V8......

Originally Posted by greg3852
Well, as most of you know, I totaled my LS in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...road-trip.html I bought a 2013 Camry XLE to drive back from Vegas. After driving it for about 3000 miles, I thought I'd do a little write up comparing some things.

RIDE

Camry - Ride is much louder than the LS. It has new Michelin MX4(something) on it. It rides smooth, and I don't seem to feel such a jarring hit as I did with the LS, but I feel a lot more bumps. I don't hear wind noise in it, but the windows are thinner than the LS.

LS-460 - I found the car rode incredibly smooth, and I barely felt any road imperfections. I did however feel that when I felt a bump it was hard and it made me take notice.

INTERIOR

Camry - XLE package with leather and nav. The leather is hard and rough. it is nothing like the soft leather in my LS. The seat is similar but smaller. It doesn't have all the adjustments either, but it isn't terrible. One thing I did notice right away was the fact that I actually had to move the seat forward a bit to drive. Weird. I'm 6'0" tall and I always put the seat as far back as I can. Not in this car. I have to move it at least 3 inches forward. The interior quality is poor. Rough leather, lots of plastic, and nothing real materials is a tough transition. The center console doesn't have a 12V plug in it. It is in a little storage area in front. I think I may add one. It does have USB and 12v Power up front.

LS-460 - I mean come on. It's an LS. If I had to complain, it was that the leather is too soft and damages too easily. Other than that it is fantastic.

AUDIO & ELECTRONICS

Camry - Has a smaller screen than the LS, but the rear view camera is better quality. The screen during normal mode doesn't seem to be as good. It looks pixelated. It isn't the JBL system, so it isn't that good. At low volumes, it sounds good, but once you turn it up forget it. The bluetooth is nice, and works great. The apps pretty much suck, and I just stream over bluetooth. Overall it is a nice update from the 07

LS- 460 - The LS was second to none. The Mark Levinson is fantastic. I loved it. People thought it was an aftermarket system. I wished it had bluetooth and to be honest I was worried about the hard drive dying. I wished it had usb. Overall it was a great system and by far the best factory system I ever heard.

TRUNK

Camry - The trunk is larger in the Camry than the LS or at least it feels that way. I seem to be able to fit more in it despite a smaller opening. Also the seats go down. It's great.

LS-460 - The trunk was great in it. I find myself trying to hit the power close button on the Camry and let out a tear when I find it isn't there.

ENGINE

Camry - 4cyl power. HAHAHA ok, seriously it has no power. 0-60 in 15min. It's terrible. But once up to speed, it's silent. Uses regular gas, and costs just over $20-25 to fill. Gets about 400-450 miles a tank.

LS-460 - 380hp from a V8. Great gas mileage, and plenty of power. I miss it. LOTS.

OVERALL - The Camry is a good car. Had I never been in an LS, I would think it was pretty damn good. It has nice tech, reliable, comfortable, and pretty quiet. I paid $17k for a 2013 XLE. Not a bad price, not a great price, but for a car with less than 30k miles, it was a great price. For the reliability, tech and ride, I don't think I would buy any other car. It's no LS in any way shape or form. The doors are thinner metal, the hood is thinner, the trunk is thinner. It doesn't feel solid when you shut the door. Its tinny. It is however a Toyota, and we all know what that brings with it. I've been getting a ton of grief about going from an LS to a Camry, but I don't regret it. It is a very good car, and has a lot of bang for the buck. As time goes on I hope it remains the same until I get back into another LS.
Old 09-11-16, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ES is way nicer than the Camry, especially in the 2016 refresh.
Old 09-11-16, 12:24 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

i hope so since i bought an '16 ES.
Haven't sat in or driven a camry newer than, approx 2012 or 2013 model....

The ES is way nicer than the Camry, especially in the 2016 refresh.
Old 09-11-16, 02:00 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mdpresco
We recently had a 2017 Camry as a rental for 9 days while the dealer had the LS460L doing repairs. The Camry was okay - just okay. All the controls were basically the same so we didn't have to learn a different car. The ride, interior, ML sound, acceleration, comfort and everything else the LS has over the Camry was sorely missed. Ducks05, yes, we are spoiled.
As far as a family car, it's just hard to get any better than the LS460 (hard to imagine there being a better riding road car) jmo!
Old 09-11-16, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
i hope so since i bought an '16 ES.
Haven't sat in or driven a camry newer than, approx 2012 or 2013 model....
The 16 ES is a very nice car. Not the LS, but for the money it's a lot of car.
Old 09-11-16, 05:09 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
very interesting writeup and comparison, thanks.

Arguably, the latest generation Camry is quite similar to the latest generation ES, so your comparison may well parallel a comparison of the ES to LS, sadly ! Consumer reports say that customers may be better off getting a fully equipped Camry than the ES as far as bang for the buck. I don't fully agree with their statement but there is some truth to it though.

Can I ask about 2 factors in your comparison that actually led me to stay away from getting an LS and stay with the smaller ES -
1) nimbleness and ability to fit car in small spaces - do you find the Camry much easier to get into and out of parallel parking spaces and narrow multi level parking garage passageways? I assume the 07 LS did not have the auto parallel park feature....
2) fuel economy? although - most of us considering or owning an LS can indeed afford the gas to fill an LS, something bugs me about having an under 20 MPG car.....although what does one expect when you have a large V8......
I never had an issue parking the LS. I was more worried about someone dinging it than it fitting in a spot. My LS was able to park itself, but it's not something I used. I never ever had an issue parking the car.
Fuel economy in the LS is actually great. My 07 routinely got 30mpg on the highway. It actually got better highway mileage than most of the other cars I was considering. 30mpg on the highway in a 380hp V8? Yes please. Not having a big V8 is rather depressing. It was great to give it gas an have it effortlessly take off. To be honest the gas mileage didn't really matter to me. Driving this car was worth whatever gas mileage I got. The comfort, reliability and ride was worth the price.

Last edited by greg3852; 09-11-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 12:15 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

I agree. I'm impressed with my 2016 ES, it has some very nice features and is a good car for the money. However, I'm not as impressed with it as I was impressed with my 05 ES when I got that in 05....if you know what I mean...

I ruled out the LS early due to its size/length and cost...but possibly that was a mistake. I should have given it further consideration. Next car.....

The 16 ES is a very nice car. Not the LS, but for the money it's a lot of car.
Old 09-13-16, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What did you trade in for your 05 ES?

The LS is more car, but its a lot more money too...

Quick Reply: 2013 Camry Vs 2007 LS 460