LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 09:24 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The main reason I bought this is because it made more sense to pay $300 for this unit instead of $225 for the navigation update my dealer was charging. As long as the bluetooth music streaming and the maps work I'll be somewhat pleased. I just ordered a 128GB micro sd card to put music and movies on, hopefully that function works.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
no.. everything is soldered on-board on these things. The Vline spec is similar to a $35 Rasberry pi mini computers.. I hope everything is smooothhhhhh.. we'll see this weekend when you and I both report our findings..

pretty bad review from the IS-F that installed it recently...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...m-vline-8.html

He confirmed my fears.. I might be returning the units shortly after my install. I want to confirm the 1 minute load up time, bluetooth sound not lowering when a call comes in.

I've used and installed about 5 different Grom modules in the past. Overall, I liked and recommend them. Their bluetooth add-on is really a miss. Low quality sound/music and the almost useless microphone. We'll see, I might fall in love with the vLine.
Old 10-12-16, 11:04 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed in my car a few days ago...

It doesnt take a minute(s) to fire up. Maybe 30 seconds and Ive got about 10 Apps loaded on it
- Its not gonna accept that 128 card. I think the highest the sd card slot will go is 64
-havent tried the bluetooth sound yet. Everything I need is on a usb drive/SD card
- Cords are REALLY short especially the GPS antenna...do a dry run before u start mounting
- Steering wheel controls have worked for every music / Video app ive used
- Video plays smooth even without hardware acceleration..
- it runs smooth so far.

Extras: I got a mini keyboard with joysticks for games and a simple Android remote. I sit pretty far back and hate leaning forward to use the touch screen for everything...
Old 10-12-16, 11:45 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

That's good to hear except about the micro sd card. Did you mount it in the glovebox?

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
I installed in my car a few days ago...

It doesnt take a minute(s) to fire up. Maybe 30 seconds and Ive got about 10 Apps loaded on it
- Its not gonna accept that 128 card. I think the highest the sd card slot will go is 64
-havent tried the bluetooth sound yet. Everything I need is on a usb drive/SD card
- Cords are REALLY short especially the GPS antenna...do a dry run before u start mounting
- Steering wheel controls have worked for every music / Video app ive used
- Video plays smooth even without hardware acceleration..
- it runs smooth so far.

Extras: I got a mini keyboard with joysticks for games and a simple Android remote. I sit pretty far back and hate leaning forward to use the touch screen for everything...
Old 10-12-16, 12:34 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats the only place you can mount it, with the cords being so short...
Old 10-12-16, 04:55 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

How did you route the cables?
Old 10-12-16, 07:57 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
Thats the only place you can mount it, with the cords being so short...
Do you need to cut a hole in the side of the glove box to put it there? Pictures, please. I thought about that, but opted to mount mine in the console. It sits at a slight angle with the power and video ports facing forward. The cables just reach, and it leaves it easily accessible with just enough room for the shelf and lid to close over it. I did have to sacrifice the aux input jack, which I never used. It snaps right out and can be put back should I want to return it to factory. The power, video, mic and excess Apple cable easily pass through that opening, so no need for any modifications to the vehicle. The GPS antenna seems to locate my position alright just stuck on the top of the box. I'm sure I'm limiting my satellite lock somewhat but time will tell if it needs to be relocated. I'm fairly sure Apple Maps, is using the GPS of the iPhone anyways, so the GPS antenna is not really doing much I care about.

I received my pre-ordered VLine on Tuesday, so I'm still learning. I had asked about being part of the beta program, so perhaps that is why CarPlay was available on mine. A pleasant suprise. It is running "VCore: VL1.0.1.8 VBase: 20.18". I'd be interested if that is the version everyone with pre-orders got? If I check for updates it states VL1.0.1.0 release can be downloaded, which sounds like a downgrade, so passing on that. I also passed on installing the Google Apps, for the instructions state that it will increase my boot time from 15-30 seconds, to up to a minute. It looks like without it though I don't get Google Map navigation. Does anyone know if it can be removed once installed? I'd like to play with the Google App features, but only if I can revert back to the quicker boot time later, for I suspect Apple CarPlay does everything I want?

I found Apple CarPlay very impressive; It works nearly perfectly and all with voice control. I say "nearly" because during phone calls echo is heard on the other end. Since this feature is redundant with the Lexus bluetooth phone capability, it is not a big deal. I've hidden the icon on the second page along with the GROM icon that returns back to the Android GUI. I wish I could prevent it from notifying me of incoming calls, but that does not seem possible. I have the mic mounted just above the rearview mirror, which is where GROM recommends placing in in their directions. It would seem that the echo is feedback from the center dash speaker. If anyone has a suggestion for remedying that I love to hear it. Perhaps a better aftermarket mic or different placement. The factory mic is to the right of the steering wheel, so perhaps that would have been better location for this one. I'll watch for comments from others using CarPlay to see if they have better luck with this. The phone buttons on the steering wheel are going to operate the Lexus bluetooth connections regardless, so ideally GROM will provide a way to disable it, assuming Apple allows for that, or perhaps they can mute the center channel during calls. Time will tell.

Old 10-13-16, 03:57 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Received mine today ....and to read now that it's can only accept a 64Gb card at most are very disappointing .... if it will not work with a 500Gb or larger HD too , it will be sent in return ....It's not as advertised, and my main reason to exchange the Vaistech ML+ I already have installed, was to get place for more music files ...
Will try to get it installed in the week-end ...

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 10-13-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-13-16, 05:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm also primarily using Apple CarPlay, I upgraded my software to version 1.0.1.0, I wish I had checked what version it was prior. I didn't even think to imagine that it could be an older version I "upgraded" to. I agree that the phone call quality using CarPlay is terrible, which I don't mind. I however, had an issue when picking up calls from the Lexus handsfree system while playing music from VLine in CarPlay...as the GROM would continue playing the music over the phone call. I will have to try this again, as it seems like this wasn't an issue for you.

P.S. I'm incredibly happy that CarPlay works, and it's absolutely amazing! Well worth the money for the GROM just because of the Carplay, regardless of the outdated hardware.
Old 10-13-16, 06:27 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice pix, KYLS..

Can we have a USB drive and the ipod plugged in on the USB?
Old 10-13-16, 09:12 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the glove box, there is a piece you can snap out of it's place. Then you can snake the wires through the access hole.
You'd have to take off the glove box to find the locking snaps to remove the small door. Glove box is easily removed.
Old 10-13-16, 11:40 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Thanks for that info, it's going to be very helpful. I was trying to do this last night as the sun was going down, epic fail.

Originally Posted by GR6RR
On the glove box, there is a piece you can snap out of it's place. Then you can snake the wires through the access hole.
You'd have to take off the glove box to find the locking snaps to remove the small door. Glove box is easily removed.
Old 10-13-16, 12:34 PM
twin703
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Iphone

Can someone with a iPhone post some vids that show a detailed video of what it can do seems like everyone here uses a android find it hard that people just want to throw money at a item unsure of how it's going to work because it's discounted I don't see no commercial advertisement or anything. .. am I missing something somewhere ?

Last edited by twin703; 10-14-16 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-14-16, 09:12 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10-14-16, 11:46 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Nice pix, KYLS..
Can we have a USB drive and the ipod plugged in on the USB?
There are two USB ports in addition to the microSD slot, so physical it is possible. The storage option under settings allow configuration of an SD as well as USB drive, but I've only tested with a 32GB microSD and iPhone 6, so far. I will try adding a USB jumpdrive and let you know. It is awkward to get to the SD slot with the way I have it mounted in the console, so a jump drive would be a nice way to supplement my base collection on the microSD. I hope it works.

Originally Posted by GR6RR
Thanks! I may move mine; the hard part is connecting the cables to the back of the radio which would not need to be redone for the move. Where did you mount the GPS antenna, or does it work ok from inside the glove box? I was surprised to find that mine works just fine from under the armrest, perhaps because the skylight is directly above.
Old 10-14-16, 02:24 PM
twin703
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't get what I meant lol ???

Quick Reply: A/V Upgrade for Lexus