LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 07:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Great to hear about your positive experience with Grom VLine. Hope the issue with Netflix is resolved.

I agree the Vais product offer DVD/Nav bypass only. But I am pretty sure this Beatsonic product is capable of DVD/Nav bypass and iPhone mirroring. What do you think?
IF-04EP: $359 http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html

The VLine does not offer DVD/Nav bypass, correct? Based on what it can do, this feature may not be needed, but it would still be nice to have ability to play DVDs while moving.

If you get a chance, please check out the smartphone and Nav bypass thread I started today. Thanks!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-2014-ls.html
It appears to work with Android as well. What is not clear, is what other components are required to mirror your phone. A little vague.
Old 09-20-16, 08:02 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

What would be a good stand-alone NAV app?

I want to use Google maps.. but trying to minimize the data/battery from the cell phone if possible. Maybe I can dedicate about 2gigs of data and download the offline map for half the country?

Also, I hope the car can default to the Vline. Like when I start the car, which screen shows up?
Old 09-20-16, 09:01 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
It appears to work with Android as well. What is not clear, is what other components are required to mirror your phone. A little vague.
Are you asking about the Beatsonic product? They have a nice "circuit" diagram showing all of the components. The iPhone charging cables and a couple of other cables are sold separately, but the main controllers indicated in the picture are included in the price.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I want to use Google maps.. but trying to minimize the data/battery from the cell phone if possible. Maybe I can dedicate about 2gigs of data and download the offline map for half the country?
Also, I hope the car can default to the Vline. Like when I start the car, which screen shows up?
Whether you use google maps by mirroring a smartphone (Beatsonic) or with a dedicated device (VLine), you will be using your data plan. As far as I know, Google maps will not work offline. In fact, I like google maps because it updates traffic conditions constantly.

If you want the standalone Nav app, just use the navigation on your LS. I don't use it because I haven't taken the time to learn it (cumbersome), updating it can be expensive, and it does not report on traffic conditions unless you have an annual subscription.
Old 09-20-16, 09:10 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for sharing your feedback, makes me feel better about pre-ordering it without really knowing how well it will work. I look forward to getting my hands on it soon, supposed to ship on the 30th.

Please try out Apple CarPlay and let us know how it goes. That's the main reason I bought it, hoping that it ships with that functionality and Apple approves it soon!
Old 09-20-16, 09:18 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome! I buy stupid **** all the time, glad this pre-order I made isn't a stupid purchase. can't wait for mine to come in.
Old 09-20-16, 09:20 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
Thanks for sharing your feedback, makes me feel better about pre-ordering it without really knowing how well it will work. I look forward to getting my hands on it soon, supposed to ship on the 30th.
Please try out Apple CarPlay and let us know how it goes. That's the main reason I bought it, hoping that it ships with that functionality and Apple approves it soon!
Given Apple's track record, I wouldn't bet on it. You have probably seen the discussion on this other thread, but read post #17 by GROM about Car Play.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...avigation.html

Last edited by comotiger; 09-20-16 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 09:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Given Apple's track record, I wouldn't bet on it. You have probably seen the discussion on this other thread, but read post #17 by GROM about Car Play.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...avigation.html
Yeah, I hear ya. Just being optimistic considering all of the beta users are getting it with Apple CarPlay enabled.
Old 09-20-16, 10:09 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Whether you use google maps by mirroring a smartphone (Beatsonic) or with a dedicated device (VLine), you will be using your data plan. As far as I know, Google maps will not work offline. In fact, I like google maps because it updates traffic conditions constantly.

If you want the standalone Nav app, just use the navigation on your LS. I don't use it because I haven't taken the time to learn it (cumbersome), updating it can be expensive, and it does not report on traffic conditions unless you have an annual subscription.
Google Maps can be offline.. you just have to download the maps before hand (in your garage, house, yard, etc.)
What I am trying to avoid are two things:
1. No navigation where there's no cell phone reception.
2. Saving battery power of the cell phone. I know tethering or even having the app on kills cell phone batteries fast.

I don't really care about using data, since I won't be using much.

TO THE BETA TESTERS:::
How is the microphone for voice commands? Sucks that we can't connect the system to the OEM microphone since OEM is cleaner and more clear

Last edited by joedaddy1; 09-20-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 12:41 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yeah, I hear ya. Just being optimistic considering all of the beta users are getting it with Apple CarPlay enabled.
That's a very encouraging sign. In which case, the VLine would be a better option that Beatsonic IF04EP. One would still have to get a separate Nav bypass module from VAIS/Beatsonic/Prestigious Society, but the cost differential would be <$100 that could be easily justified by VLine's strengths.
Old 09-20-16, 03:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Try Copilot. I've had it for two years on my Galaxy and it is awesome.
Old 09-22-16, 06:42 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Toshi1
OK guys after having the system in my car for a week, I have to say I am pretty excited I was selected for the beta program. It basically does exactly as one of the forum members said: ACTS as its own standalone tablet!! You are basically using the stock navigation screen to install apps from the app store to access and run the apps. The only thing your phone is used for is two things: you can use it for bluetooth audio streaming and it also needs to be used as a mobile hotspot for internet access, so make sure your phone is capable of that.

Positives:

My primary concern was to watch media when I was parked or when my kids were in my car for a semi long drive. It addressed all of these concerns except for one bug that we are still working through. Youtube is flawless and can be watched and sucks the data right out of my mobile phone. Netflix is the app that I am currently having issues with and will not stream yet. Vivo which I use for music videos is not in the play store, so I may have to side load that app. into the box so that I can use it. I have ESPN and other sports apps as well that stream with no issues. Whatever you can find in the app. store you can use. The current app store or android version I am not sure about.

You can also use the only USB slot for an ipod from what I have been told or mass storage device. I asked how large it can handle, he wasn't sure so 2TB or even 1TB might be pushing it. I wouldn't know so you will have to just try and go from there. It also has a separate SD card slot for movies or music that you have stored. You will probably just have to download VLC player and some sort of media player to get that to play. There is like 3 pages where you can put apps, but pretty sure you can download a ton of apps without any issues. You can even play games if you really wanted, but I am not a game type of person. I might DL angry birds just to try.

You also have the option for Apple Car Play. I haven't tested my wifes apple phone yet so not sure how it works yet. He did say there weren't many apps for apple because apple has chosen to limit that access due to safety concerns while driving.

All this can be done while driving BTW

You can also switch back and forth from stock navigation to the home screen for the Vline. It is very straight forward.

CONS:

There are some bugs we are working out still for just navigating through windows. It is basically all touch screen, but I think a bluetooth mouse will make a world of a difference. I am purchasing one very soon.

Netflix not working for me.

No mirroring, but no real need for that if you can find an app. to do what you were looking for.

Otherwise, not much of an issue really!! I would get this over all the others at the moment. I think it beats out Vais and beatsonic which is just an DVD/Nav over ride.

Shoot me quick questions and I will try and answer them for you.
Just a few questions:

1. How long does it take to boot up ? Is it fast and smooth or choppy/Laggy at time ?
2. Do you know if it interface with the touchscreen as an input device via Bluetooth like Vais Ivic or via wire directly (Ivic is annoying because sometime it fail to connect via Bluetooth and you cannot type on the screen)
3. Does it have a HDMI IN to add a secondary device ? From the picture it look like it does. If so can you select different source from the device firmware (or a switch) itself without having to boot the android OS (Like Vais Ivic for example)
4. Does the usb IN for external storage interface directly with Lexus interface in the nav unit or does it show as an external storage in the android OS itself
5. Seem like this product can act as a Bluetooth sink as well to add Bluetooth audio capability. Have you tried it ? Again does it interface directly with the Lexus interface or it goes through the android OS running on the device ?
6. I understand it can be used while driving, but does it also unlock the factory navigation usage while driving ? I'd be surprise if it does but asking nonetheless.
7. Does it interface with odbII from the factory wire or you need for example an external cable ?
8. For the voice recognition, does it interface directly with the car native mic or you need an external mic ?

Seems like this product combine 3 Vais product in one (External storage, android and Bluetooth). If so this look very promising and might buy one for my car. Thanks for the answers!
Old 09-28-16, 09:22 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Need some updates Toshi!
Old 10-03-16, 06:37 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

saw that vline was delayed until 10/7... and I saw a thread in another forum that a beta tester ripped the Vline out of his car after a day or so because it crashed often and never worked correctly for more than 20 minutes..

not good...
Old 10-03-16, 06:51 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I pre-ordered one so I'm hoping to get it soon and hopefully have a good experience with it. At least they're offering a 30 day money back guarantee.

saw that vline was delayed until 10/7... and I saw a thread in another forum that a beta tester ripped the Vline out of his car after a day or so because it crashed often and never worked correctly for more than 20 minutes..

not good...
Old 10-03-16, 07:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

not good...
Where did you see that it was delayed? I haven't received any notification about that, I pre-ordered back on Aug 23rd.

If I recall correctly, that beta tester was using it on a completely different generation navigation system, not the one that is being released this week.

Quick Reply: A/V Upgrade for Lexus