LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 01:09 PM
mkhan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the reverse camera work with the Vline installed?
Old 10-17-16, 05:18 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mkhan
does the reverse camera work with the Vline installed?
Yes, it still works. Same as before the VLine was installed.
Old 10-18-16, 06:15 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you guys put the unit and the microphone without leaving any wires exposed?
Old 10-19-16, 05:31 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by twin703
thanks man but from what I see apple car play is not a guarantee for a non tester correct ?
I had opened a ticket on the mic icon, and the echo during calls through CarPay and got this response from Grom,

Please update the VLINE module to VL1.0.2.0 and then try the RED Mic button then.

We are looking into Echo issues in CarPlay but it is not something we will pay heavy attention to at the moment as we will be removing the feature in upcoming updates until we are able to pass it through Apples Certification.
Carplay is not a feature we are advertising for the unit at the moment so you cannot expect it to work perfectly.
So, my take away is that I'm not running beta software, since CarPlay is still present in latest VL1.0.2.0 software, but that until CarPlay gets certification it is not being advertised and will/could be removed in a future update.
Old 10-19-16, 05:48 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
where did you guys put the unit and the microphone without leaving any wires exposed?
I put my VLine unit in the center console (wires just reach), while most are placing it in the glove box. When I initially asked Grom, the glove box is where they suggested it be placed for ease of access. With the shelf over top in the console it is difficult to get to the microSD and USB ports without unplugging the video and power connector and lifting out the whole box. So in short either location works.

As far as the mic goes, Grom recommends placing it near the rear view mirror. Routing the wire behind the glove box, and under the trim and headliner is not that hard and results in good reception for voice commands, BUT during a CarPlay phone call I get some echo. If you plan to use it with CarPlay I would suggest trying it near the factory mic, and making some calls to see if echo is reduced before routing wires and permanently mounting. I found that covering the center speaker greatly reduces the echo on mine, so that appears to be where the feedback is from at the rear view mirror location. Hopefully when CarPlay becomes certified and officially supported on the VLine they will mute the center speaker during calls (if possible), or come up with some other solution.
Old 10-19-16, 06:15 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Those of you that have the Vline up and running do you have the self-parking feature?
Old 10-19-16, 07:37 AM
mkhan
Rookie

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Those of you that have the Vline up and running do you have the self-parking feature?
Just ordered my Vline on monday, I've got self-park and couldnt get rear-view camera to work with the Ivic-5d so am going with the grom. Hopefully this works and retains all factory functionality.
Old 10-19-16, 03:28 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Yes, my car has self-parking and the VLine works fine in it; the rear view camera comes up every time I shift into reverse.
Old 10-19-16, 04:09 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone who updated the firmware, did it kill apple play and what changed did you notice?
Old 10-23-16, 05:45 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I installed mine this weekend. Here are a couple of tips from my install and my first impressions (I love it so far!):

I installed a clarion USB cable that I ran to my center console and removed the existing 12v power source. It works great for connecting my iphone and keeping it hidden - https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CCAUS...+usb+cigarette)

The Grom install video recommends leaving the nav screen in place and removing and reinstalling the video cable blind. My hands are large and after trying unsuccessfully for 10 minutes, I gave up and removed the nav screen. I'd highly recommend doing the same. Taking out the nav screen only takes 2 more screws. It pops right out and I removed, changed the plug, and reinstalled in about 5 minutes.

I mounted the unit in the glove compartment, the GPS on the dash to the left of the passenger dash speaker, and the mic in the headliner console just to the left of the factory mic. I decided to remove the whole glove compartment in order to route all of the wires and cables. I'm very happy I did as it made it much easier. The mic and GPS cables were easy to route. The GPS cable hid nicely between the dash and windshield and then between the dash and a-pillar. I ran the mic cable up the outside of the a-pillar then to the windshield (where the a-pillar and headliner meet) and over to the headliner console (hiding the wire between the windshield and headliner). Everything works great in those locations. All of the cables enter the glove box in the little knock in the rear left corner.

The unit itself:

I've only had a short time with it, but so far, I love it. I added CarPlay right away and also downloaded google apps so I could install google maps and google text to speech. I tested my boot time (Grom says boot up may take longer than 1 minute if you install google apps) - I've seen 20-24 seconds from pushing the start button to having access to the unit. It really isn't bad IMO. I use Apple music and prefer Google maps. This combo really works great. I go into carplay, pick the music I want to listen to, then go back out to google maps for my GPS. I have full steering wheel control of my music in the google maps app.

I have noticed the unit will be unresponsive to touchscreen commands if I have my phone plugged in before it completely boots. I can rectify it by unplugging the phone, waiting 20 seconds or so, and plugging it back in.

Outside of that issue, I haven't really had problems other than 1 or 2 random google maps crashes that were easy to get going again right away.

One thing I'd like to see in Grom's CarPlay - Siri control for apple music. Today, there is no icon for voice search in music so I have to use my phone to find music that isn't in stored as a playlist in Apple music. All of the CarPlay Demos I've seen have you use steering wheel controls for siri (bluetooth phone). That doesn't work with the grom. There is a voice search available in apple maps, though, and it works well.

I'll keep playing and reporting back. Happy to answer any questions, too.
Old 10-24-16, 01:13 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

for the people who got the Vline to work on your cars, did you already have something plugged in the blue connector behind the navigation?

If so, do you have the self-park (self parallel parking) option?

I'm still on hold to get the Vline working on my car...
Old 10-24-16, 02:55 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Did their tech support get back to you?
Old 10-25-16, 06:26 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Did their tech support get back to you?
yes.. I was advised to wait for a new software/hardware.. they just are not sure yet.. But I am going to be away from the car for 2 months so "no worries"
Old 10-25-16, 07:48 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001

One thing I'd like to see in Grom's CarPlay - Siri control for apple music. Today, there is no icon for voice search in music so I have to use my phone to find music that isn't in stored as a playlist in Apple music. All of the CarPlay Demos I've seen have you use steering wheel controls for siri (bluetooth phone). That doesn't work with the grom. There is a voice search available in apple maps, though, and it works well.

I'll keep playing and reporting back. Happy to answer any questions, too.
I'm definitely a CarPlay newbie . Siri search from any area of CarPlay is available by holding the on screen "home" button for a few seconds just like on the phone. Works great.

After a few more days I've had some more general bugginess. CarPlay graphics will get corrupted occasionally when the car display takes over and you need to go back to the vline (i.e. The backup camera or park assist). It's fixed by exiting CarPlay and going back in. Ive continued to have issues with non-responsive touchscreen that is fixed by unplugging the phone for a few seconds and plugging it back in. Google maps continues to crash occasionally. My best luck comes with just using CarPlay. The maps are growing on me and it's been mostly trouble free if I stick to the one app.
Old 10-26-16, 09:53 AM
mkhan
Rookie

Have been in contact with GROM regarding questions, they've been absolutely fantastic addressing any technical questions and general questions. A+ on customer service!

Quick Reply: A/V Upgrade for Lexus