LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking to buy 2013+ LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 01:46 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I wouldn't pay more than 35k for the LS. the body style is just a cosmetic upgrade compared to the 2007, mainly the front bumper and inteior. The body styling itself is getting very dated unless you mod it with some nice jdm wheels and a nice drop.

for 35k you can get a 2015 hyundai genesis 5.0 ultimate fully loaded, I think a new one at that.
$35k gets you a nice low mileage CPO 2011 LS, maybe a mid mileage 2012. This person is looking for '13 or '14. Remember the original sticker on these cars is somewhere at or above $70k. And '13's and beyond are holding (unrealistic) price premiums until the new body comes out. Current price difference between a '12 and '13 is somewhere in the range of $10k. Not saying that price gap is justified, but it is what it is and a current body style LS is going to be over $40k for at least 12 more months.

You're right about the Genesis 5.0 ultimate at that price. That may be the best luxury value right now, but the front of that car looks like too many other cars on the road (and for whatever reason reminds me of something Chrysler would design). Inside is absolutely beautiful though. I may have to drive one of those to see how the engine feels and how much of the road you can hear & feel while driving.
Old 08-23-16, 02:33 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
$35k gets you a nice low mileage CPO 2011 LS, maybe a mid mileage 2012. This person is looking for '13 or '14. Remember the original sticker on these cars is somewhere at or above $70k. And '13's and beyond are holding (unrealistic) price premiums until the new body comes out. Current price difference between a '12 and '13 is somewhere in the range of $10k. Not saying that price gap is justified, but it is what it is and a current body style LS is going to be over $40k for at least 12 more months.

You're right about the Genesis 5.0 ultimate at that price. That may be the best luxury value right now, but the front of that car looks like too many other cars on the road (and for whatever reason reminds me of something Chrysler would design). Inside is absolutely beautiful though. I may have to drive one of those to see how the engine feels and how much of the road you can hear & feel while driving.
Good point. Gotta pay to play, these late model LSs are closer to $90k+ I'd pay $35k all day for a 2013+ LS
Old 08-23-16, 02:52 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah u should. I briefly owned a 2015 genesis 5.0 , I got a killer lease zero drive off lease and was able to sell it at higher than the selling price on my lease contract. I didn't want to take the 4000 a year depreciation hit. the ride is firm and balanced, but yet absorbed road imperfections very well.

in many ways though, the 2015 genesis just barely caught up to all the technologies that lexus offered in their LS back in 2007. The ucf40 is not the best looking, but it's still the top dog asian big body sedan. It looks amazing when it's properly modified.

the LS ucf40 is the only asian big body that is still around, duking it out with the bmw 7series and benz S class. Infiniti and acura had to throw in the towel.

Old 08-23-16, 03:28 PM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Good point. Gotta pay to play, these late model LSs are closer to $90k+ I'd pay $35k all day for a 2013+ LS
Certainly the Genesis is a good value, but I'm coming at this from the other end of the spectrum. I was *this* close to buying a new range rover sport, for $85 to $90k when I came to my senses and decided to stick with Lexus. If the range had the same reliability of Lexus I'd get one in a heartbeat.

I have no problem paying $10k more to get a 2013 or 14 to get some warranty coverage (and opporutnity to extend) and newer body style. No doubt a high mileage 2008-12 would be a great value too.
Old 08-23-16, 04:23 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just wild that hyundai till this day, still cannot command the respect of Lexus. Hyundai is still Hyundai.
Old 08-23-16, 06:00 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to add to all the good advice and insight already provided, I just picked up a CPO '13 SWB AWD back in April and the honeymoon continues. Absolutely love this car and recommend it wholeheartedly. But I do have to recommend due diligence prior to purchasing as every CPO comes with a unique set of potential issues. On that front, I wanted to recommend a recent thread that discussed some important considerations:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...it-really.html

Good luck to you in your search. It took nearly 2 years for me to find the right one..
Old 08-24-16, 08:46 AM
salesguy
Rookie

I had the opportunity to drive a 2014 L today in Charlotte, and it was great. It was a short test ride but the L body style did not feel overly long at all.

Seating was outstanding. It was a quick test but overall my favorable impression was consistent with comments here. The length of the seat extension was much more than on my ES - when fully extended it almost came to my knees (I'm 6'). It really supported my entire leg and seemed to be a plus for my comfort issue (bad back).

I also took the GX and the newly redesigned RX for a quick ride. The RX would be great to pickup for the wife in a 2 years (used of course).

Great feedback on the CPO process and I'm certain now that I will have an independent inspection.

Sadly they wouldn't loan me the LS for the rest of my trip.
Old 08-24-16, 09:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

[QUOTE=salesguy;9595642]I had the opportunity to drive a 2014 L today in Charlotte, and it was great. It was a short test ride but the L body style did not feel overly long at all.

Seating was outstanding. It was a quick test but overall my favorable impression was consistent with comments here. The length of the seat extension was much more than on my ES - when fully extended it almost came to my knees (I'm 6'). It really supported my entire leg and seemed to be a plus for my comfort issue (bad back).

I also took the GX and the newly redesigned RX for a quick ride. The RX would be great to pickup for the wife in a 2 years (used of course).

Great feedback on the CPO process and I'm certain now that I will have an independent inspection.

Glad you got to drive one. I haven't spent much time in the 13's and beyond (I love the interior and don't want to torture myself since I don't want to pay current asking price) - therefore I haven't driven one and wasn't aware of the seat extension. Are you saying you can pull out the bottom of the driver seat for a little more support? That's a nice feature- have had that on a few of my cars and always take advantage of it. Definitely hire someone to inspect the car- if it's CPO I would be comfortable just taking it to a body shop for inspection of what, if anything, has been wrecked on the car. They can look for frame damage and also use a paint meter to check thickness differences on the paint across the entire car. I trust the mechanical inspection of the car, plus it's covered anyway. But you can probably pay $100-$150 to have true peace-of-mind that it was never involved in some sort of accident that you aren't comfortable with. Post pics when you buy one! Seems like you're close to pulling the trigger!

Old 08-24-16, 10:08 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Glad you got to drive one. I haven't spent much time in the 13's and beyond (I love the interior and don't want to torture myself since I don't want to pay current asking price) - therefore I haven't driven one and wasn't aware of the seat extension. Are you saying you can pull out the bottom of the driver seat for a little more support? That's a nice feature- have had that on a few of my cars and always take advantage of it.
Yes, the thigh support cushion can be adjusted in length with a button. I love the feature and didn't have it in my 2012 LS.
Old 08-24-16, 10:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by comotiger
Yes, the thigh support cushion can be adjusted in length with a button. I love the feature and didn't have it in my 2012 LS.
Added bonus: I was thinking you had to manually slide it out...Lexus powers it with a button. I first had this in a '94 Eddie Bauer Explorer- thing was crazy comfortable to drive on the highway. Also have it on my 2010 S5. Glad to hear it's in the '13's and beyond. My torture continues! Can't wait 'til those '13's drop in price.
Old 08-26-16, 03:46 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I too am in the market for the same car as the OP. I guess Hendrick Lexus didn't want to part with their flagship for the day. I'm headed in for service on Monday and I'm going to see what's available. Good luck with your search. These cars are hard to find!
Old 08-26-16, 04:38 PM
salesguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmade22
I too am in the market for the same car as the OP. I guess Hendrick Lexus didn't want to part with their flagship for the day. I'm headed in for service on Monday and I'm going to see what's available. Good luck with your search. These cars are hard to find!
it was black, which I'm not interested in. If you go after it let us know what you get it for.

After seeing the L I'm not interested in anything else. White or silver is required, all other interior options and colors I'd live with.
Old 08-27-16, 03:53 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

That's also a color I would never get. Good luck in your search. The L is really nice but they seem really hard to find in other colors for some reason. Did you try north lake Lexus? What about Johnson Lexus in Raleigh and Durham? They have a huge dealer that controls most of the Eastern side of the state.
Old 08-27-16, 09:29 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmade22
That's also a color I would never get. Good luck in your search. The L is really nice but they seem really hard to find in other colors for some reason. Did you try north lake Lexus? What about Johnson Lexus in Raleigh and Durham? They have a huge dealer that controls most of the Eastern side of the state.
I did look t NorthLake. I've been screening cars from cars.com, carguru and autotrader.

I agree the L in a silver or white (just not black) is harder to find. I've determined that in order to not wait 9 months to find my ideal car, I may take an out of warranty vehicle, and open up the search to a 2012 (prior style) as well. Doing that opens up a bit more Ls to choose from.

It's amazing how cheap you can get a 2010-12 LS460 L if you are willing to live with higher mileage and no warranty. As long as I can get a good mechanic to inspect I have no issues with that at all.

For those following this thread, what do you consider "must have" options on these vintage LS460s? I'm looking for:

1. ML sound
2. Comfort package (every one I've seen seems to have this)
3. Heated steering wheel

Everything else doesn't seem that important to me, but happy to listen to anyone who has more options that are "must have" now that you have them.

Old 08-27-16, 10:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by salesguy
I did look t NorthLake. I've been screening cars from cars.com, carguru and autotrader.

I agree the L in a silver or white (just not black) is harder to find. I've determined that in order to not wait 9 months to find my ideal car, I may take an out of warranty vehicle, and open up the search to a 2012 (prior style) as well. Doing that opens up a bit more Ls to choose from.

It's amazing how cheap you can get a 2010-12 LS460 L if you are willing to live with higher mileage and no warranty. As long as I can get a good mechanic to inspect I have no issues with that at all.

For those following this thread, what do you consider "must have" options on these vintage LS460s? I'm looking for:

1. ML sound
2. Comfort package (every one I've seen seems to have this)
3. Heated steering wheel

Everything else doesn't seem that important to me, but happy to listen to anyone who has more options that are "must have" now that you have them.
The options I have on my car can be had on the 2010-2012 LS460L, but are even rarer than on the 2013+ cars. I traded in a 2012 SWB in February to get a 2014 LWB, mainly to accommodate my teenage sons in the backseat on long trips. The SWB was just too cramped. As I was going thru the options, I figured I should get all the options I would need not just at this time but 5+ years from now because I hold on to my vehicles for a long time. Besides, if I were planning to spend 50K+ on a car and make payments for several years, I might as well get all the bells and whistles I need. Going by this logic, I knew I was going to get the fully loaded LS460L: Advanced Pre-collision package (includes DRCC, LKA), and the Ultra Luxury package.

I use the DRCC and LKA on every freeway trip and find them to be very effective and useful. The kids use the power reclining seats in the rear, with the power window shades, on every trip, so the UltraLux package is useful too. The adaptive air suspension is packaged with this car, so I had no choice. Do the different settings make a difference? Honestly, I haven't seen much of a difference. I typically use the Comfort or Normal setting. But I know some LWB cars can be had without the air, which could be a good thing especially if you are not buying an extended warranty. I am happy to have the all LED lights which look pretty (but I cannot get any pleasure from seeing them work because I am inside driving!!). The auto high beam is a gimmick and not very useful, but I use it because it's there. Blind Spot monitoring (2013+) is nice to have in a big car like this. Being in the midwest, the AWD is also an useful option.

Things like Bluetooth, heated steering and ML are pretty standard on 2010+ LWB. My car also has a dealer-installed remote start requested by the first buyer, and I can't wait to use it this coming winter. Yes, one can remote start using Lexus Enform but requires an annual subscription which is not justified for the number of times I would use this feature. Good luck with your shopping. If you are patient and willing to travel out of state to buy, you will have a wider range of choices.

Last edited by comotiger; 08-27-16 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 2013+ LS460