LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS 600HL Ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 11:31 AM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 LS 600HL Ticking sound

Hey guys, Have a 08 LS 600HL with about 85,000 miles in it. Ever since I have had it since 40k miles it randomly will have a ticking sound. Almost a knocking sound but more of a tick. Goes away when you rev it up. Does it randomly at start up & while idling... Comes & goes. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-16, 01:24 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like the standard high-pressure fuel injector sound. These injectors are commonly noted in the LS for causing a somewhat diesel-like ticking sound, although I have never experienced that sound on my LS600hL... You should find lots of reading material on this form by searching for "High Pressure Fuel Injectors."
Old 08-18-16, 01:51 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it sound reminiscent of the electronic starter on a grill or gas stove? If so, it's injector noise. All direct injection engines make the ticking noise. Some more pronounced than others. The LS is actually pretty quiet compared to my Audi for example that has a very loud distinct ticking noise especially if you're standing directly in front of it.
Old 08-18-16, 03:42 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this the "Japanese tick"?
Old 08-21-16, 05:09 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you could try ROYAL PURPLE max clean
Old 08-23-16, 07:43 AM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 600H Ticking sound

Thanks so much for the help guys. Yes, VERY reminiscent of a gas grill with an auto light. Its a lot of times quite loud! & then other times fairly quiet. I knew it must not have been a big problem, Ive put 45k or so on it & its done it ever since. Now Ive got the itch to trade up for the new body style 13-up. Any thoughts on the redesigned 600h?
Old 06-21-19, 09:08 PM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

So the ticking sound as gotten much worse & does not go away as it used to come & go. This cannot be normal. Everyone looks when the engine runs! Please help!
Old 08-23-19, 06:00 AM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls 600 ticking, knocking noise

Hey guys, replaced it with a used high pressure pump & same issue. the cam lob as well as the pump plunger showed a slight slight bit of wear but no fix.... Not sure what else to do other then peal off the valve cover. Something is loose with out a doubt! SUPER Frustrating. Lexus is zero help. You would think a 117,000 car there would be a known solution from the manufacturer...Has anyone confirmed this issue yet?🤔🤔
Old 08-23-19, 07:21 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

A tappy tappet is a happy tappet!
Old 08-23-19, 07:48 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by joverholt
Hey guys, replaced it with a used high pressure pump & same issue. the cam lob as well as the pump plunger showed a slight slight bit of wear but no fix.... Not sure what else to do other then peal off the valve cover. Something is loose with out a doubt! SUPER Frustrating. Lexus is zero help. You would think a 117,000 car there would be a known solution from the manufacturer...Has anyone confirmed this issue yet?🤔🤔
how can you be sure the used pump is any good? could be equally messed up, look at rockauto and get an off brand one
Old 08-26-19, 05:10 AM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdanielca
how can you be sure the used pump is any good? could be equally messed up, look at rockauto and get an off brand one
Good Point for sure, I cant be 100% sure. Ones Rock auto lists, DELPHIHM10105 are out of stock but show to be about $1800 from other sellers which is more then Lexus. My pump did show some wear on the piston where it rides on the cam lobe where the new one was very clean. Not that that means much in regards to the ticking. I thought about putting the right side on the left & seeing if there was a difference. After getting this pump off & in my hands, I cant fathom how anything inside this thing could make such a loud terrible noise. It seems my cars noise is much louder then others that claim this same possible high pressure fuel pump
Old 08-26-19, 06:19 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Good Point for sure, I cant be 100% sure. Ones Rock auto lists, DELPHIHM10105 are out of stock but show to be about $1800 from other sellers which is more then Lexus. My pump did show some wear on the piston where it rides on the cam lobe where the new one was very clean. Not that that means much in regards to the ticking. I thought about putting the right side on the left & seeing if there was a difference. After getting this pump off & in my hands, I cant fathom how anything inside this thing could make such a loud terrible noise. It seems my cars noise is much louder then others that claim this same possible high pressure fuel pump
well maybe you can enquire as tho when it will be back in stock. thats the best option ive seen
Old 08-26-19, 07:57 AM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can u post a video of sound?
Old 08-26-19, 02:05 PM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

Looks like it does not like the link

Last edited by joverholt; 08-26-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 02:06 PM
joverholt
Driver School Candidate

I will. Have you ever had this issue & been able to confirm this pump is the solution?

Quick Reply: 08 LS 600HL Ticking sound